Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 12:49:20 PM EDT
How many people here hike or even jog with a weighted pack?

How much weight do you carry?

Does it hurt your back?

How do you situate the weight and are you using plates or sand bags or what?

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I hiked for several years with a weighted pack. I generally carried around 40 lbs.I carried plates,lead shot,anything heavy. It didnt bother my back,i think it stengthened it. I gave up carrying weight about 6 months ago, it took alot of the fun out of walking.I may start again when the weather improves.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#2]
DO not run with a ruck on. Even the military has come to the conclusion that that is a surefire way to hurt people.

Wear good boots, ankle support is vital, start light with short distances and build slow. The Army standard for line units is 35 pounds at a 15 minute mile. The pace is pretty fast if you've never experienced it.

As far as what kind of pack, a good cheap option are the old ALICE packs, or go full retard and get into an Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch or some such. I lust after one of the large Mystery Ranch rucks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
, fun switch enabled
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Apparently Starbucks is a fan of full auto's, i just cut into quad burst

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
need to lighten up on my trigger finger apparently

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I find that increasing muscle mass somewhat and just being generally strong translates extremely well to most other activities- including rucking. The opposite isn't true I've found though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I ruck on a regular basis with a load of around 30#.  The weight is 6 bricks and 3L of water.  You will probably have some pains at first, but after a while it doesn't seem like you even have the weight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]
My pack is always weighted, sleep system, food, hydration, rifle.

30-40 lbs.

It's fun walking about 5 miles then stopping for a break, letting your pack off and then jumping up and down, you feel like superman.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I find that increasing muscle mass somewhat and just being generally strong translates extremely well to most other activities- including rucking. The opposite isn't true I've found though.
View Quote

You had made a comment last summer (I think that's about when it was) that the best thing you did for hiking/rucking was squatting heavy.  As I've started squatting I've also done a little hiking and hauling a heavy backpack through airport terminals, and I've noticed that I am far better at hauling and moving than I was before.  I thought I was strong a few months ago, and I never want to be that weak again now that I've actually seen what a difference some muscle makes in day-to-day life- much less hiking and hauling.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
When I first started rucking i struggled with shin splints and figuring out which shoes/socks/underwear caused no blisters or chafing. Noe that that's good and the shin splints are gone 8 in 2 hours or 12m in 3 with 35 pounds is fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I first started rucking i struggled with shin splints and figuring out which shoes/socks/underwear caused no blisters or chafing. Noe that that's good and the shin splints are gone 8 in 2 hours or 12m in 3 with 35 pounds is fine.
View Quote

A good coating of vaseline on the feet seems to help prevent blisters.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You had made a comment last summer (I think that's about when it was) that the best thing you did for hiking/rucking was squatting heavy.  As I've started squatting I've also done a little hiking and hauling a heavy backpack through airport terminals, and I've noticed that I am far better at hauling and moving than I was before.  I thought I was strong a few months ago, and I never want to be that weak again now that I've actually seen what a difference some muscle makes in day-to-day life- much less hiking and hauling.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Having been an infantry Marine, and now I still do infantry-centric training on occasion, and mountain warfare training on 3 occasions I have a very interesting opportunity to compare physical readiness. No doubt about it- even though I'm 33 now, being stronger than what I was at 20 (even though my "cardio" isn't as good, and even though I rarely ruck) has translated into much better performance when I do have to ruck...even at altitude.

Getting strong is pretty much the best thing I ever did for myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top