Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 12:46:47 PM EDT
I've never been able to get into running because I get cramps/pain in the side of my abdomen whenever I run any significant distance. I don't get sore feet or shin splints, or any of that stuff. I can walk/hike pretty much indefinitely without a problem. I'd like to run for exercise. Is there something I can do to get over the cramping?

30 y/o male, 170 lbs

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You arent bringing in enough oxygen. Do some circuit training with fast paced exercises like jumping jacks, jump squats, and burpies. Do this in cycles for about 20 minutes a day and then breathe deeply with your arms over your head to spread your lungs. Then go on your run. When your side stitch starts put your arms over your head and breathe in slowly and deeply until it starts to subside. You just have to expand your lung capacity over time and keep pushing through it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
May also be due to the way you are breathing while running.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
and not hydrated enough
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

How should I breathe while I run?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
in your nose slowly and out your mouth slowly. Set your breath to your pace and inhale long enough to fully fill your lungs and exhale for around the same amount of time. When running around a 7:30 pace mine lines up to inhaling for 4 right foot strikes, exhaling for 4 right foot strikes always in the nose out the mouth.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok thanks. Sounds like my breathing is probably too shallow when I run. I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds stupid, but I'd also watch your posture, head position. Head up and chin up (max clearance through the trachea, minimal air resistance breathing).

I'd also focus on relaxing your stomach muscles while running, stop "sucking in your stomach" if you do that. I used to have problems with side stitches, and sucking it in accelerated the issues.

I also found that the more you run, the more it strengthens your rib and abdominal wall muscles. I always assumed a side stitch was like a leg cramp.... Dehydration and lack of strength being the main culprits.

ZA
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My chiropractor told me it is caused by shallow breathing and weak muscles. Breath and run more, it goes away.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#9]
What's a "significant distance"?  Sometimes you have work through little discomforts and get warmed up.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#10]
its the way you're breathing, I try to inhale over two strides and exhale over the same. Find what syncs with the way you run and just by doing a better job at regulating your breathing the side stitches should go away.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's a "significant distance"?  Sometimes you have work through little discomforts and get warmed up.
View Quote

I have the same problem as OP if I run more than 2 miles.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I use to get stitches (side cramps) when I ran.  Started swimming and the breathing techniques transferred over to running and fixed the problem.  Instead of focusing on inhaling, try forcefully exhaling, especially out your nose.  When swimming, this keeps water out of your nose.  I think boxers breathe in a similar fashion.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
There's some good advice here but really you need to 1) slow down, and 2) run more.  

It's a breathing think and you're breathing shallow and shorting yourself on oxygen.  So when you feel that, slow the pace down and breathe deeply through your nose, out your mouth.  Lean forward a tad at the waist to relax your diaphragm so you can take larger breaths.  Take slow, full breaths.  Keep slowing your running pace down until the side stitch goes away.

Once the stitch is gone, keep running to build aerobic efficiency and endurance.  Again, don't be afraid to run what may feel too slow.  You have to build up the breathing.  Running training is the epitome of Embrace The Suck.

Source:  I'm not super fast, but a fairly decent runner, 23 minute 5k and 1:50 half marathon.   I run around 25 miles a week.   The above is common advice shared with beginning runners, including myself when I started last winter.

One other thing:  run on an empty stomach.  Digestion causes stitches.  Also don't drink while you run, at least for these short distances of 3-4 miles.  You should be hydrated before the run and not have eaten for at least two hours (3 or 4 is better) before you go out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top