Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2014 12:16:49 AM EDT
I have peroneal tendonitis and everytime I try to run or hike it hurts like hell. Someone suggested using kt tape. Does this work?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
No studies support it.  it has a cult following because it's cool and the placebo is strong... some of my athletes swear by it.

That said? ...  try it to see if it helps...
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I had some nasty elbow tendonitis last year (Tennis Elbow).  My PT did some taping.  She was trained in doing it.  She used a reference book for clinicians to determine how to tape my arm.    The way she cut the tape looked like fucking origami.  But I think it helped provide some support/relief.  But that was in addition to the stretching/mobility/pain meds/etc. I was doing.  It was just one more modality to treat the issue.

I think you need someone who knows WTF they doing with that tape vs. someone who was a trainer in high school or college.  I think taping it WRONG could be worse than not taping at all.

My .02

YMMV

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had some nasty elbow tendonitis last year (Tennis Elbow).  My PT did some taping.  She was trained in doing it.  She used a reference book for clinicians to determine how to tape my arm.    The way she cut the tape looked like fucking origami.  But I think it helped provide some support/relief.  But that was in addition to the stretching/mobility/pain meds/etc. I was doing.  It was just one more modality to treat the issue.

I think you need someone who knows WTF they doing with that tape vs. someone who was a trainer in high school or college.  I think taping it WRONG could be worse than not taping at all.

My .02

YMMV

View Quote

How long does the tape stay on?  Based on your post it seems like it would be a nightmare to try and tape everytime you go to the gym.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on where it is (sweat,  etc), couple days to a week (or more)
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#5]
i was skeptical when i saw people using is..

one crossfit comp i went to my knee started aching a lot after one of the workouts.

i bough some tape and read the little booklet that came with it to know how to apply the tape to my knee...

made a huge difference in how it felt.. so much better.

try it out. youll only be out a few bucks anyways.

i only use it if im getting aches and pains.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you know the insertion, origin, and lymph locations for that area?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How long does the tape stay on?  Based on your post it seems like it would be a nightmare to try and tape everytime you go to the gym.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .02

YMMV

Ask me about dry shaving my arm at the PT clinic!  

...and I'm a fucking hairy ape!  LOL  

Once you have properly prepped the area to be taped....i.e. shave in the shower...  The tape would stay on for several days that my PT would use.  If it started to peel at the edge I would just trim it.  Depending on condition, she would re-tape as needed.  Generally 4-7 days, but I think it will also depend on the area being taped and how much ROM you have for the area.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Once you have properly prepped the area to be taped....i.e. shave in the shower...  The tape would stay on for several days that my PT would use.  If it started to peel at the edge I would just trim it.  Depending on condition, she would re-tape as needed.  Generally 4-7 days, but I think it will also depend on the area being taped and how much ROM you have for the area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .02

YMMV

That was my second thought...the hair  

I've been having a bit of tenderness in my left shoulder when I "chicken wing".  It hurt today during bench, but amazingly feels great after I did some face pulls and pullups.  I'm pretty sure I sleep on it wrong as I stretch out my arm under the pillow and sleep the pillow and my arm.

One of the guys I work with is a first rule crossfitter and he's been telling me to tape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top