Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2014 11:59:57 PM EDT
The obvious jokes aside, I am trying to get back into lifting after years and years of neglect.  I did something to the bicep/upper arm area.  It's not constant, but I can feel it when I move it around.  I have been trying to narrow it down to specific movements, but I have moved it so much as I tried to supply information for this post, I have aggravated it.  I have no weakness, and I have the same "strength" as I did before.  But, it's hurts trying to support the bar when I do bench workouts.  If I do curls, it does not bother me, so it's probably not a bicep issue per se.  It feels deeper in the arm.  But, if I do flat bench, the arm really hurts.  It makes working the bar unsteady.

Any suggestions, magic supplements, etc?  I have the "bug" now (the weather is perfect for it down here), and I am afraid if I wait too long to recover, my mind may turn to something else.

Thanks everyone!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Had something similar to what you are describing. Didnt hurt when I was doing curls but hurt like hell doing just about everything else. Traced it to tendonitis to the tendon that attaches the bicep to the bicep side of the  inside of the elbow. Only thing that helped was really laying off for about a month. When I got back into it I found that alot of stretching and one of those neoprene elbow sleeves seemed to help.

J-
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you tried isolating which specific rotations of your hand, width of bar, weight, etc cause this?

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on the exact type of injury, you might find going to dumbbells for a while helpful, as you can position your wrists at a more natural angle, rather than fully pronating them as you do for a barbell bench. It's the same idea that's behind the "football bar."
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you tried isolating which specific rotations of your hand, width of bar, weight, etc cause this?

View Quote

Not yet, but it's on my list of things to try.  I have a tendency to overdo things, and I am concerned if I try to isolate it, I will have another one of those "just work through the pain" moments.  That never works out for me
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not yet, but it's on my list of things to try.  I have a tendency to overdo things, and I am concerned if I try to isolate it, I will have another one of those "just work through the pain" moments.  That never works out for me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just get a light dumbell and try to replicate movements with curls, bench, incline, etc.

I ruptured the distal head of my bicep and tore my laburm during September. It forced me to drastically cut the amount of weight that I use and in turn increase the reps. I am SLOWLY increasing weights lately but am in better shape than every IMO, with a much leaner but more cut figure and almost back to baseline other than several specific exercises (curls and pullups)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top