Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2014 3:50:02 PM EDT
To add to the conversation about conditioning, and what helps one's conditioning, I'll add the following story:

I just got back from the 2014 FNH 3Gun Championship.  I was part of the RO crew, shot the match Tue & Wed, worked a stage Thur-Sat.

I wasn't officially part of the Stage 2 crew, but ended up helping run 5 stages with them on Friday.  They got way behind early (some management inefficiencies, not enough youth/athleticism for the stage, and just generally, it was a tough stage to manage quickly).

So, after lunch Friday, I was asked to help them.  At this point, they had only been able to get two groups through; they were a whole squad behind for the day and it was already after lunch.  So, I made a couple of efficiency suggestions (which were implemented), and, realizing most of them were already physically beat, ended up with the task of clearing the shotgun/checking/taping the paper targets.    The stage was a moderately long one, wrt the distance the shooters/ROs needed to move, and because of shooting angles, the shotgun couldn't be advanced toward until the shooter had started moving to Box B to engage the longer distance targets.  So, I decided to do the whole thing on the run until I couldn't anymore.  When the shooter turned to head toward the long distance box, I ran to the shotgun, made sure it was safed, and then cleared it, leaving it in the drop barrel.  Then, I ran and checked/taped the 7 paper targets spread along a 50ish yard area.  The targets were in trees, down in gullies, and up on hills, so I was up and down, up and down.  

I ran 5 squads (70 consecutive shooters) this way in about 4 hours, literally running down range and back each time.  Doing the stage this way, they caught up completely, and were even able to get ahead by handling a squad that would have been their last squad on Saturday.  

Physically, I surprised the hell out of myself.  It was a series of trail runs (actually, without the trail ).

Now for the interesting part...  

I don't do any running. I only lift weights, usually following the 5/3/1 program.  I've been on this program for about 2 1/2 years.  Leading up to this match, because I had stalled again, I switched to an endurance/hypertrophy program (a 5 week program) which involved 3x week full body workouts.

I woke up on Saturday ready to go again.

For those who would like to see it, here's a crappy video of the stage.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've also found it interesting how lifting can translate into conditioning in many cases.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've also found it interesting how lifting can translate into conditioning in many cases.
View Quote

I truly was blown away at how well and how long I could make those runs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Earlier this year I was doing 5/3/1 exclusively and had a PFT come up. I'm a shitty runner...2 weeks prior I added 3 runs a week in- 1 day of sprints, 1 3 mile run and 1 interval run. I ended up running a 21:00 3 mile...which isn't my best, but is really not bad at all for having done essentially 6 training runs before hand.
I've said it many times- a good strength base > pretty much anything else. (unless you're a competitive endurance athlete).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top