Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2014 8:14:28 PM EDT
Anyone use a vest with weights for running or other cardio workouts?  What amount of weight relative to your body weight do you use?  From what I read online 10% of your target weight is what you should be using. Pros as I understand them are increased stamina, CV fitness, and agility...

Due toa shoulder injury, pretty much all i can do right now is run/walk/bike, so I am looking to add something to these workouts to get more out of them
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you looked and pulling/pushing a sled?

Pulling using a belt keeps your shoulder out of the picture all together and and pushing you can load as heavy as your shoulder will tolerate.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Why don't you just run faster or further?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:23:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone use a vest with weights for running or other cardio workouts?  What amount of weight relative to your body weight do you use?  From what I read online 10% of your target weight is what you should be using. Pros as I understand them are increased stamina, CV fitness, and agility...

Due toa shoulder injury, pretty much all i can do right now is run/walk/bike, so I am looking to add something to these workouts to get more out of them
View Quote

Running with weight will rip, bulk and strengthen your legs. As far as ratio to use, it depends. I run three days per week, five miles without weight on two of those days, and two miles on one day while wearing a plate carrier with plates and othet gear totaling approximately 55 lbs. I am 6'3" and weigh 274 lbs, so I am using 20%. I'm trying to get my body weight up to 290 lbs....last few pounds to gain are tough, I've hit a little plateau, but it will pass. Try running with the weights, it works:

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a fan of running with weight. I've done it...a lot... and watched as 30%-40% of certain classes got dropped due to injuries (guys that were already fit to start with). Some guys love it, and that's cool but IMO it's not the best or more efficient way to do anything- including build endurance, size, strength, etc...

I NEVER run with gear in my own time anymore. That said, I lift a lot, and run some. When that time comes where I DO have to run with gear, I can still manage to surpass most people due to existing strength.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#5]
i have a 40lbs vest i use occasionally or a 40lb sandbag i throw in a ruck.

i dont run, i shuffle/jog

the added weight is rough on knees and ankles, if i ran the same way i do with nothing on, id fuck myself up pretty good
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of running with weight. I've done it...a lot... and watched as 30%-40% of certain classes got dropped due to injuries (guys that were already fit to start with). Some guys love it, and that's cool but IMO it's not the best or more efficient way to do anything- including build endurance, size, strength, etc...

I NEVER run with gear in my own time anymore. That said, I lift a lot, and run some. When that time comes where I DO have to run with gear, I can still manage to surpass most people due to existing strength.
View Quote

Huh. We keep ending up back at the vital importance of strength. Imagine that.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And running with weight will not result in strength gains, contrary to popular belief.  Sprinting with drag resistance like a chute, maybe; endurance work, definitely not.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And running with weight will not result in strength gains, contrary to popular belief.  Sprinting with drag resistance like a chute, maybe; endurance work, definitely not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is different, but it did work for me. I lift four hours per day, seven days a week (I do skip a day occasionally though if I can't make time). Several years ago, despite having good form and technique, I was stuck down in the 700lb range doing squats for over a year. I started running with weight, which really bulked up my leg muscles quite a bit. I then had more to work with and easily broke that plateau.

The OP, however, was only inquiring about stamina and cardio.....running with weight would definitely help him achieve that goal.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Everyone is different, but it did work for me. I lift four hours per day, seven days a week (I do skip a day occasionally though if I can't make time). Several years ago, despite having good form and technique, I was stuck down in the 700lb range doing squats for over a year. I started running with weight, which really bulked up my leg muscles quite a bit. I then had more to work with and easily broke that plateau.

The OP, however, was only inquiring about stamina and cardio.....running with weight would definitely help him achieve that goal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a 700# free weight parallel squat?

And I think most will disagree that running with weight will help stamina or cardio.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And I think most will disagree that running with weight will help stamina or cardio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

700 lbs is not that much weight, even from a box set up 2" below parallel, espcially compared to some of those guys who are 900 to 1000+ lb powerhouses I've seen at the gym...I even knew a couple of guys in high school that could push that like a boss from parallel.

ETA: we have a saying..."if the bar ain't bending, you're only pretending."..
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#11]
You must go to a pretty legit powerlifting gym if you have multiple guys squatting 900#.

You should post some videos up, we all love to see big lifts.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You must go to a pretty legit powerlifting gym if you have multiple guys squatting 900#.

You should post some videos up, we all love to see big lifts.
View Quote

Sure, I'll try to make a recording and post one. There is a member on the site who I watched squat over 1000 while I was visiting Dallas, TX, last year, but he weighs about 400 lbs....big guy with perfect technique. He doesn't post much, but maybe he'll chime in on this forum later on and offer advice. I actually learned quite a bit while observing him.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

How would that help more than just running faster or farther?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to type out a lengthy, descriptive, response since I am using my phone to post (big fingers, little buttons ), so I am posting a couple of links instead which explain the benefits of increased strength, stamina, improved cardio, weight loss for dieters etc..... I just googled and grabbed links to the first couple of search results:

link 1

link 2
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to type out a lengthy, descriptive, response since I am using my phone to post (big fingers, little buttons ), so I am posting a couple of links instead which explain the benefits of increased strength, stamina, improved cardio, weight loss for dieters etc..... I just googled and grabbed links to the first couple of search results:

link 1

link 2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link 1

link 2

Neither says why the vest is more beneficial than running faster or farther.  Just says you'll do more work wearing a vest than without.  You can also increase work rate by running faster.

The vest adds injury risk and the expense/inconvenience without providing any benefit that couldn't be obtained by running faster.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Neither says why the vest is more beneficial than running faster or farther.  Just says you'll do more work wearing a vest than without.  You can also increase work rate by running faster.

The vest adds injury risk and the expense/inconvenience without providing any benefit that couldn't be obtained by running faster.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

link 1

link 2

Running faster or further does NOT increase strength or add any benefits other than moderately increase cardio, a vest, however, will also increase cardio but at a higher level. Why not run faster and farther while wearing a weighted vest for the ultimate run?  Vests improve agility, strength, speed, cardio, endurance and offers a plethora of other benefits. And you only risk injury by wearing too much weight while running, or by using them too frequently while doing so. The same risk of injury would apply if you tried to dead lift too much weight or perform other types of lifts. For those people who wish to push things up a few notches, wearing a weighted vest is great. For those who only want a light run, wearing a vest is not for them...

more benefits
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Running faster or further does NOT increase strength or add any benefits other than moderately increase cardio, a vest, however, will also increase cardio but at a higher level.

more benefits
View Quote

Funny how running faster and further is what every elite runner does to improve their running.  Set that aside.

Strength = the maximum force a muscle can exert i.e. a 1 rep maximum.

Most runners have between 160 and 180 footfalls per minute when running or 80 to 90 repetitions per leg.  Over a 30 minute run, that's between 2400 and 2700 repetitions.

What's your 1RM bench?  What's your 2500RM bench?  Would you advise someone who is trying to increase his 1RM i.e. strength, to do sets of 2500?

As far as that article, LOL.  Awesome how all of the improvement came when the runners STOPPED wearing the vest.  In what peer reviewed journal was that "research" published?

Here's a hint that people should take:  if you want to get stronger, read what elite strength athletes and strength coaches say - Rippetoe is popular here.  If you want to be a better runner, read what elite runners and running coaches say - Jack Daniels, Arthur Lydiard, Rentao Canova.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Funny how running faster and further is what every elite runner does to improve their running.  Set that aside.

Most runners have between 160 and 180 footfalls per minute when running or 80 to 90 repetitions per leg.  Over a 30 minute run, that's between 2400 and 2700 repetitions.

What's your 1RM bench?  What's your 2500RM bench?  Would you advise someone who is trying to increase his 1RM i.e. strength, to do sets of 2500?

As far as that article, LOL.  Awesome how all of the improvement came when the runners STOPPED wearing the vest.  In what peer reviewed journal was that "research" published?

Here's a hint that people should take:  if you want to get stronger, read what elite strength athletes and strength coaches say - Rippetoe is popular here.  If you want to be a better runner, read what elite runners and running coaches say - Jack Daniels, Arthur Lydiard, Rentao Canova.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Running faster or further does NOT increase strength or add any benefits other than moderately increase cardio, a vest, however, will also increase cardio but at a higher level.

more benefits

I guess the only thing that we agree on, is that we disagree. We'll just have to leave it at that.....time to go work out
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I think his point is that if you're right, then you'd see the best runners in the world training your way. There's a reason why the strongest people lift the way they do, and there's a reason why the fastest train the way they do.
None of them train with weighted running.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never officially heard of weighted running despite being exposed to a fair number of running and triathlon circles.  I concur with others here.  Carrying extra weight when running is just going add extra stress on your knees, hips, etc...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#21]
When I came into the army in the 80's, we did things like running with rucksacks, or web gear with weights in it, and so forth. Then one day it was discovered that this is super bad for you. My knees and back were fucked by the time I was 35.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top