Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 9:29:59 AM EDT
I have been doing the SL 5x5 program, the first structured weight training of my life. It has been working out well so far, but doesn't quite meet all my goals. The PT tests I do at work require pushups, pullups, dips, situps, and of course running. Will it diminish the effect of the 5x5 program if I add these exercises after lifting, or do them on days that I don't lift?

My second question is, is there any advantage to doing a set or two of lower weights and higher reps AFTER the lifts on the days I lift, in order to increase hypertrophy? (Yeah, I know it isn't needed for function, but I AM single so it never hurts to look good too).
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Do the program....  or dont.

Eat like the program tells you... or dont.    this will cause hypertrophy.
You have PT requirements that might not mesh with your program...    Options: Suck it up, keep with the program and understand the results will be less than perfect, but you're serving multiple goals.

or...

Learn your ass off from people like Alex Viada  and how he programs running/cycling with lifting...   and learn how to properly serve multiple goals...   It's all about energy systems, proper programming, and nutrition.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I did SL for a few months early this year...I believe Medhi says you can add pullups on the OHP/Deadlift day if you want.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Westside for skinny bastards. Joe DeFranco has it written up on his website. Geared towards athletes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
and it just so happens that Alex viada. Has a program set up for the Westside template...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been doing Ice Cream Fitness for a while and like it. Getting some good gains.

More accessory work than SL.

On off days I'll do either a ruck hike or HIIT running sprints or on a stationary bike.

Also modified my squats to high bar and stick a 2x4 under my heels to activate my quads more. I'm a lanklet, so I have found this to be effective at reducing buttwink and lumbar pain.

Where I learned the 2x4 trick from:

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
and it just so happens that Alex viada. Has a program set up for the Westside template...
View Quote

You have my attention.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I would drop it down to 3 sets of 5 then add in all the other stuff you want on the days where it makes sense.   As in pull ups on the days you squat and deadlift, etc.  

Consider the 3x5 your main heavy lift for the day then just do the other movements.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been doing Ice Cream Fitness for a while and like it. Getting some good gains.

More accessory work than SL.

On off days I'll do either a ruck hike or HIIT running sprints or on a stationary bike.

Also modified my squats to high bar and stick a 2x4 under my heels to activate my quads more. I'm a lanklet, so I have found this to be effective at reducing buttwink and lumbar pain.

Where I learned the 2x4 trick from:
http://leehayward.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/arrnold_schwarzenegger_squats.jpg
View Quote

They make specific shoes for squatting with a raised heel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:52:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You have my attention.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have my attention.

link

He's also supposed to come out with an e-book next month.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#10]

There ya go. Westside and completing an ironman...

More relevant...  Westside and 5k....

Though I don't follow Westside fir lifting, this is the running that my coach and Alex have programmed for me.

Following their programming. Dropped me to a 5:58mile from not being able to even run an unbroken mile... in only 4 months... at a bw of 265lbs...

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#11]
A Wentlers 531 template may be more beneficial.
You can do accessory exercises for hyprotrophy and throw in the calisthenics or metcon.

Here's a sample template:

Day 1:
Squat per template
Bench per template
Hyprotrophy movements involving chest (Skull crushers, DB bench, ect)
Metcon (if you choose)
3-8 minutes involving accessory movements, especially bodyweight or lightweight movements

Day 2
Power clean 5x3@70%, 5x2@80%, 5x1@90%  (depending on week)
If uncomfortable doing power cleans, do some sort of barbell row work
Bicep curl
The Absz
Metcon
Hard sprints or tabata training

Day 3
Rest.  If you choose, you can do yoga, active stretching, or light swimming work on this day.  Don't push it though.

Day 4
Deadlift per template
Press per template
Weighted pullups (follow template) or bw pullups 10x5
Hypertrophy movements involving shoulders/triceps (Shrugs, ect)
Metcon (3-8 min) involving elements of above movements if you choose

Day 5
Olympic lift day (snatch, C+J, ect)
If you choose to not do Oly, do pendlay rows and shrugs today
Any other accessory work you want to do
Ab work
5-10 min metcon

Day 6.
Long effort today (20-60 minutes).  this can be a long distance effort, a CrossFit hero/benchmark, or some other activity that taxes the aerobic system.

Day 7
Rest

Note:  During deload weeks, scale back your metcons and accessory work.
----------

Another program you could also consider is the Greyskull program.  They have hypertrophy work in there, and the program allows for metcon work.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#12]
The idea of Westside over something like 531, is that the body can't handle maxing out lifts 4x a week while doing any meaningful endurance training for a long period of time.

Alex is a competitive powerlifter, runs a 4:30 mile and does triathlons / ultra marathons. No one knows about combining strength and endurance as much as he does, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The idea of Westside over something like 531, is that the body can't handle maxing out lifts 4x a week while doing any meaningful endurance training for a long period of time.

Alex is a competitive powerlifter, runs a 4:30 mile and does triathlons / ultra marathons. No one knows about combining strength and endurance as much as he does, IMO.
View Quote

Who is Alex?

Could you provide an example of his training. This is exactly what I have been looking for
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who is Alex?

Could you provide an example of his training. This is exactly what I have been looking for
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is Alex?

Alex Viada. I posted the link to his website above (completehumanperformance.com), and the plans darktide posted are from it.

I'm pretty sure he's an alien.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#15]
700+ Squat &Dead, 400+ bench.   4:23 track mile...    

He's a beast...   my man-crush.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
700+ Squat &Dead, 400+ bench.   4:23 track mile...    

He's a beast...   my man-crush.
View Quote

So he is clearly a genetic freak but his programming doesn't appear to be anything ground breaking nor be substantial enough for a moderately trained athlete to compete at a high level. Honestly looks a lot like Crossfit endurance with a strength bias. I'd like to see some testimonials from normal folks that he has trained.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#17]
That's what Facebook is for.

You can see many of his clients progress. My experience with him Is only for runs and when to add them with my  power lifting programming.  He pushed me from a 7 minute mile into a sub 6 mile in 2 months... while adding squat strength, bench strength, and dropping 3% body fat. Not bad fir a 260lber....  who sucks at running.

No it's not ground breaking, but his setup of running or endurance with lifting, the energy systems involved, how to recover etc. This is why he's a valuable resource and stellar coach.

It's easy to throw runs into a weight program, but when speed work is optimal, the whys and the when's to increase duration, intensity (of both runs and lifting), etc.  

Optimization.  He's good at it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's what Facebook is for.

You can see many of his clients progress. My experience with him Is only for runs and when to add them with my  power lifting programming.  He pushed me from a 7 minute mile into a sub 6 mile in 2 months... while adding squat strength, bench strength, and dropping 3% body fat. Not bad fir a 260lber....  who sucks at running.

No it's not ground breaking, but his setup of running or endurance with lifting, the energy systems involved, how to recover etc. This is why he's a valuable resource and stellar coach.

It's easy to throw runs into a weight program, but when speed work is optimal, the whys and the when's to increase duration, intensity (of both runs and lifting), etc.  

Optimization.  He's good at it.

View Quote

I don't have FB. What does he charge for programming and consultation?  PM me if you don't mind sharing
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I've recently had to modify it a little bit.  I found that what was failing in my squats was the muscles right around the knee, particularly the lower part of the quadriceps.  And they were failing because they were still tired from the squats just a couple of days before.  I simply wasn't getting enough recovery time, so I just wasn't making all 5x5 at 445, and my knees were back to aching, which I hadn't had to deal with as much in a good while.  So, on what was squat/bench/row day, I'm now going in and doing JUST the squat warmups, then off to do pullups (same 5x5 programming, have to do them with the assistance machine at this point), then my bench and rows.  And my knees feel much better, and the muscles are getting the recovery they need.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

link

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have my attention.

link

I'll be all over that ebook.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Chp charges 20-40$ per week for diet/programming.  Or they'll adjust current programming fir an hourly fee... I have programming and diet managed by my current coach,  my program was just adjusted around that.

This is about as inexpensive as you'll find programming for from actually reputable trainers.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Might be of use:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135564721&page=1

I do front squats on deadlift days, I do chin ups when I'm feeling it, and I try to do Klokov presses on bench press days.  I don't know how useful Klokov presses are, but they look cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top