User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I came here for the funny crossfit GIF's.

I was dissapointed
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CF is becoming like the minimalist fad.  

All the idiots in the "fad" have weeded themselves out of it because of injury.
View Quote

We do it at work, and I lead students through it at PT every day.  I like how it fosters natural competition, it's fun, and it's hard to get stuck in a rut.

It does take some planning, and it takes some dissimilar equipment and you do need to stretch and warm-up more... but they're great workouts, easy to accomplish, and you can measure your progress using specific workouts as a sort of "metric".  We use Helen here as a sort of individual progress report.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Be that as it may, we're still seeing some crossfitters that are placing well against dedicated oly lifters...

I just always think it's funny when people make fun of crossfitters for being weak, that's all.

ETA- I mean c'mon, we have crossfitters with 300+ # snatches and 400+# clean and jerks, squats over 500, DL over 600...absolutely not record breaking by any means, but still, it's a hell of a lot better than some dedicated strength guys can do, and the "bros" that make fun...

So, with that said if we're going to make fun of crossfitters, let's talk about tall socks, headbands, and shoes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course I know this. Stop making this so fun.

Being competitive in Oly lifting in the US is like being competitive in the Special Olympics. The US is always playing from behind on the world stage.

Be that as it may, we're still seeing some crossfitters that are placing well against dedicated oly lifters...

I just always think it's funny when people make fun of crossfitters for being weak, that's all.

ETA- I mean c'mon, we have crossfitters with 300+ # snatches and 400+# clean and jerks, squats over 500, DL over 600...absolutely not record breaking by any means, but still, it's a hell of a lot better than some dedicated strength guys can do, and the "bros" that make fun...

So, with that said if we're going to make fun of crossfitters, let's talk about tall socks, headbands, and shoes

The top guys in the CF games are very impressive athletes. I think the question is are they strong because of Crossfit or in spite of Crossfit?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The top guys in the CF games are very impressive athletes. I think the question is are they strong because of Crossfit or in spite of Crossfit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being competitive in Oly lifting in the US is like being competitive in the Special Olympics. The US is always playing from behind on the world stage.

I disagree. I think the question is "with proper programming, nutrition and work ethic, can a Crossfitter get strong". The answer is obviously yes.

I know a lot of crossfitters that are strong- elite powerlifter strong? Absolutely not, but strong nonetheless and I'd wager stronger than a significant portion of regular gym goers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I disagree. I think the question is "with proper programming, nutrition and work ethic, can a Crossfitter get strong". The answer is obviously yes.

I know a lot of crossfitters that are strong- elite powerlifter strong? Absolutely not, but strong nonetheless and I'd wager stronger than a significant portion of regular gym goers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now they just need to add hobbit hole training to the programming.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I came here for the funny crossfit GIF's.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/14c7b416c82b685f530e974da4a2544d/tumblr_mhffe4TGeO1qdlh1io1_250.gif  I was dissapointed
View Quote
Are you gonna post some?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I am 10 days into it, and have been to 6 sessions. I love it so far. I'm the oldest, and most out of shape guy in every class, and I don't care. I'm sweating buckets,  flopping around like a dying walrus at most exercises, and it's awesome. It's exactly what I needed....a little competition to keep moving forward, a little coaching, and just enough pear pressure to keep me working through exhaustion. Just being honest about myself...I would NEVER work this hard alone. Getting beat by a 20 year old girl pushes the pride button and pisses me off just enough.

And yes, it is a "class", especially at the beginner level I am at.

Haters go ahead and hate..."Super Athletes" go ahead and sneer because you work just as hard all on your own for free......I don't care. In 6 workouts, I already feel better. I love it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad to hear it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am 10 days into it, and have been to 6 sessions. I love it so far. I'm the oldest, and most out of shape guy in every class, and I don't care. I'm sweating buckets,  flopping around like a dying walrus at most exercises, and it's awesome. It's exactly what I needed....a little competition to keep moving forward, a little coaching, and just enough pear pressure to keep me working through exhaustion. Just being honest about myself...I would NEVER work this hard alone. Getting beat by a 20 year old girl pushes the pride button and pisses me off just enough.

Haters go ahead and hate..."Super Athletes" go ahead and sneer because you work just as hard all on your own for free......I don't care. In 6 workouts, I already feel better. I love it.
View Quote

That's good to hear!  Now, slowly start transitioning into powerlifting...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weightlifting!  

But really OP, weightlifting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gAOmEUhs6I&list=UUUoEWMvijAEn-hWTLUtfdoA

Glad you enjoy the classes, hope you keep with it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#15]
There was no beginner class this morning, so I went to the 6 a.m. regular class. The instructor knew me from the earlier beginners class, so he modified a few things for me. I hung with them pretty well though....and it kicked my tail. I couldn't do a pushup right now if you offered me a million $$$$

The theme for me is the same...I made it through, and no way would I have pushed myself that hard alone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There was no beginner class this morning, so I went to the 6 a.m. regular class. The instructor knew me from the earlier beginners class, so he modified a few things for me. I hung with them pretty well though....and it kicked my tail. I couldn't do a pushup right now if you offered me a million $$$$

The theme for me is the same...I made it through, and no way would I have pushed myself that hard alone.
View Quote

Now you have no choice but to buy a hot tub for your evening soak/recovery time.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Now you have no choice but to buy a hot tub for your evening soak/recovery time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding......I am starting to stiffen up.....I have been spending a LOOOOONG time in a hot shower since I started this
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No kidding......I am starting to stiffen up.....I have been spending a LOOOOONG time in a hot shower since I started this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try cold or contrast showers too, it does help.

EDIT:Let me know if you find an English transcript.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Allow me to chime in with some words of encouragement too.  I'm 54 and have been doing CF for 1.5 years, and before that was a couch potato.  I still can't do a lot of the Rx programming, and that's fine, I just modify them to what I can do.  Take your time, don't be in a hurry, don't compare yourself with anyone else, have fun, know your limits but push yourself too.  It's been a great experience so far, and I plan on continuing for many years to come.  If I can do it so can you
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The notion that CF is more dangerous than many other sports is just foolish. CF has had a 400%+ increase in participation in the last 4 years. Put 400% more beginners on a ski slope and you'll see more in the ER. That doesn't mean the rate of injury has increased, you'd expect in increase in numbers given the large expansion of CF participants.

Hell, there is bad coaching in every sport that leads to injury and in the world of "we don't like the nanny nation" what about a little personal responsibility and not just depending on someone to hold your hand as you blindly blunder forth in CF? Not like there aren't any 98# weaklings and guys that will never make any real gains or injured in a World or Golds gyms either.

Few people at the boxes I've been around don't have additional lifting program they follow. 5/3/1 is super popular.

Yeah the surf shorts are totally ridiculous, more people should rock wife beat T's and high tops!

Looking past its current fad like nature, CF is an excellent way to improve functional fitness and not just lift big or look better neked. Not to mention, if it's "so easy" step right up, there will be about $250,000 awarded to the winner at the 2015 CF games.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The notion that CF is more dangerous than many other sports is just foolish. CF has had a 400%+ increase in participation in the last 4 years. Put 400% more beginners on a ski slope and you'll see more in the ER. That doesn't mean the rate of injury has increased, you'd expect in increase in numbers given the large expansion of CF participants.

Hell, there is bad coaching in every sport that leads to injury and in the world of "we don't like the nanny nation" what about a little personal responsibility and not just depending on someone to hold your hand as you blindly blunder forth in CF? Not like there aren't any 98# weaklings and guys that will never make any real gains or injured in a World or Golds gyms either.

Few people at the boxes I've been around don't have additional lifting program they follow. 5/3/1 is super popular.

Yeah the surf shorts are totally ridiculous, more people should rock wife beat T's and high tops!

Looking past its current fad like nature, CF is an excellent way to improve functional fitness and not just lift big or look better neked. Not to mention, if it's "so easy" step right up, there will be about $250,000 awarded to the winner at the 2015 CF games.

View Quote

I love when people say functional fitness. That shit cracks me up.  As if all the other lifting people do doesn't help them at all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#23]

CROSSFIT! ?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]
The guys who go to the gym and life just to get the big "beach muscles" are often the biggest naysayers when it comes to cross fit. My GF cross fits 3-4 times a week for the last year and she gets great results. I have so many injuries from my mil service that its not optimum for me or I would be doing it with her- I pretty much stick to old school military PT, plus lots of swimming. One of my best friends retired from the army last year and got his cross fit ninja rating or whatever and opened a gym by Ft. Bragg. A lot of Special Ops people go there and speak highly of cross fit as an effective workout for what they do.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The guys who go to the gym and life just to get the big "beach muscles" are often the biggest naysayers when it comes to cross fit. My GF cross fits 3-4 times a week for the last year and she gets great results. I have so many injuries from my mil service that its not optimum for me or I would be doing it with her- I pretty much stick to old school military PT, plus lots of swimming. One of my best friends retired from the army last year and got his cross fit ninja rating or whatever and opened a gym by Ft. Bragg. A lot of Special Ops people go there and speak highly of cross fit as an effective workout for what they do.
View Quote

Kind of an empty argument without pics of the GF and her progress.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top