User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ingesting more calories than you burn is what causes weight gain. The type of calories and the type of physical effort exerted decides whether that's good weight gain or bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The vanilla whey isolate at Walmart has 30g protein and <1g carbs per scoop, and it mixes great in a shaker with water. It costs a little more than their regular whey protein but for someone keeping their carbs in check (I'm currently keto) it's worth it.

I'm not really counting carbs, it's the calories I'm watching.
Does the protein powders make you gain weight ?

Would I still have to adjust my diet taking them?

Ingesting more calories than you burn is what causes weight gain. The type of calories and the type of physical effort exerted decides whether that's good weight gain or bad.

Exactly. You're getting a total of 40 grams per day? I try to average 50 grams per meal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of my carbs come from veggies, ( no potato's ).
I learned on this diet that almost everything has carbs, From lettuce to broccoli.

I always assumed it was starchy type foods, but I learned if a person eats, their going to cat carbs to.

I do very little pasta, no potato's but I will do rice for lunch sometimes. I try to no eat any starchy carbs for supper with the exception of
a turky subway once in a while when I get through with my walks.
I live about 25 miles outside of town and take my son to martial arts on Tuesday and Thursdays so I've been walking the river walk while he practices.

My read that if you just eat around the 1200 calorie mark you will lose weight, so I was thinking that if I kept my intake low I was going to lose especially working out regular.

When I first started losing energy I thought it was due to not having any low starchy carbs in my diet and that's when I started incorporating rice into my lunches. ( still was just counting calories, and rice and pasta are high calorie so I avoided the calories, not the carbs )

The app shows my BMI at 30.5.
I still have some gut so I'm not solid by any means YET.

I do intend to up my calorie intake, but what types of foods or meals should I eat so I have the energy boost without the weight gain?

Must of had my head in the clouds thinking that I could eat like I have been which was very light and low fat and still increase my enegery level.

I'm not sure how you would classify my workouts as far as intensity, but I'm putting all I've got into them.
I'm soaked when I'm through working out, underwear soaking wet to.
The 3 1/2  mile walks are averaging 15 min miles. not fast but again, I'm soaked when I'm done.

Should I look at taking the Protein Powder to help boost my protein levels up also ?

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I learned on this diet that almost everything has carbs, From lettuce to broccoli.

I always assumed it was starchy type foods, but I learned if a person eats, their going to cat carbs to.

I do very little pasta, no potato's but I will do rice for lunch sometimes. I try to no eat any starchy carbs for supper with the exception of
I live about 25 miles outside of town and take my son to martial arts on Tuesday and Thursdays so I've been walking the river walk while he practices.

My read that if you just eat around the 1200 calorie mark you will lose weight, so I was thinking that if I kept my intake low I was going to lose especially working out regular.

When I first started losing energy I thought it was due to not having any low starchy carbs in my diet and that's when I started incorporating rice into my lunches. ( still was just counting calories, and rice and pasta are high calorie so I avoided the calories, not the carbs )

I do intend to up my calorie intake, but what types of foods or meals should I eat so I have the energy boost without the weight gain?

Must of had my head in the clouds thinking that I could eat like I have been which was very light and low fat and still increase my enegery level.

I'm not sure how you would classify my workouts as far as intensity, but I'm putting all I've got into them.
The 3 1/2  mile walks are averaging 15 min miles. not fast but again, I'm soaked when I'm done.

View Quote

Forget BMI.

I don't think you're really following what's being said. You need to eat more. Period. You need to eat more protein in order to repair the damage done to your muscles when you workout- this build muscle and increases metabolism..yeah, it might slow weight loss but who cares if you look better and feel better? You need fat. Your brain requires it.

You need to eat meat. You need to eat things with fat- not a lot, but more than you're getting now. I'd up the cals some...I'm not big on counting cals personally.

If I were you I'd eat something like this and adjust as required:

Breakfast-
~3 eggs and tons of veggies

Lunch
~5oz of meat and tons of veg (does not need to be low fat)

Dinner
see lunch

Snacks only if you need them, a few nuts and a small serving of fruit.

If you start putting on weight cut back a little. Eat like this and I'd wager your energy will return.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Forget BMI.

I don't think you're really following what's being said. You need to eat more. Period. You need to eat more protein in order to repair the damage done to your muscles when you workout- this build muscle and increases metabolism..yeah, it might slow weight loss but who cares if you look better and feel better? You need fat. Your brain requires it.

You need to eat meat. You need to eat things with fat- not a lot, but more than you're getting now. I'd up the cals some...I'm not big on counting cals personally.

Breakfast-

Lunch

Dinner
see lunch

If you start putting on weight cut back a little. Eat like this and I'd wager your energy will return.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forget BMI.

Breakfast-

Lunch

Dinner
see lunch

I understood, I was just trying to give a little info on where I'm at as far as my body composition and my workouts.

I've already started today upping my calories.

Do to time and not being a big breakfast eater I would usually eat a granola bar and a piece of fruit for breakfast.
But egg comment made me think of hard boiled eggs.
I can make them the night before and eat them when I have time in the morning when I'm at work.

Like you mentioned, in the lunch / diner comment, I was eating a light diner even after workouts so I guess it's really a
No Brainer my ass was dragging the next day.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I understood, I was just trying to give a little info on where I'm at as far as my body composition and my workouts.

Do to time and not being a big breakfast eater I would usually eat a granola bar and a piece of fruit for breakfast.
I can make them the night before and eat them when I have time in the morning when I'm at work.

Like you mentioned, in the lunch / diner comment, I was eating a light diner even after workouts so I guess it's really a

View Quote

Granola + fruit = carbs and carbs. No protein, no fat.

The very quick menu I posted above is on the VERY light side still IMO. It's not much food. You will likely still lose fat, but you'd feel better than you do now I bet. Don't be afraid to adjust after you try something for a while.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The very quick menu I posted above is on the VERY light side still IMO. It's not much food. You will likely still lose fat, but you'd feel better than you do now I bet. Don't be afraid to adjust after you try something for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also do not let the bullshit of no carbs come into play. Without adequate carbs, your brain and mental functions start to degrade. Your brain uses fuel for its energy and without your brain, everything else starts to degrade including the hormones and organs that inhibit weight and fat loss. Yes, low carb diets can work and do work. But its at a cost.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Put a cartoon of eggs in a muffin pan. Bake at 325 F for 30 min. Remove muffin pan and place eggs in ice bath.

Boom. A whole cartoon of hard boiled eggs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Put a cartoon of eggs in a muffin pan. Bake at 325 F for 30 min. Remove muffin pan and place eggs in ice bath.

View Quote

Awesome idea!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Awesome idea!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome idea!

Yea, I'm trying that this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
One member stated that when he tried body building, he got burnt out just from the eating. I can see where he is coming from now. Eating every 3-4 hours when working a full time job and doing shit around the house after work is hard. Drinking protein shakes 2x per day of the same flavor gets old as well.  I have seen significant gains in energy and overall health. I have not lost a single pound but my pants are fitting better and the same with the shirts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#11]
What about metamyosyn protein?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One member stated that when he tried body building, he got burnt out just from the eating. I can see where he is coming from now. Eating every 3-4 hours when working a full time job and doing shit around the house after work is hard. Drinking protein shakes 2x per day of the same flavor gets old as well.  I have seen significant gains in energy and overall health. I have not lost a single pound but my pants are fitting better and the same with the shirts.
View Quote

Eh, don't eat every 3-4 hours unless you have to in order to get the calories in. Eating that often is brutal...I hate it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Eh, don't eat every 3-4 hours unless you have to in order to get the calories in. Eating that often is brutal...I hate it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It does suck. I have to eat that often to get my protein count in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Awesome idea!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome idea!

I do not like eggs, but I've tried to hard cook them ALL the ways. Oven, boil, you name it. Best method BY FAR if you ask me is steaming. I do a dozen at a time, takes 12 minutes steaming over a pretty full boil. Perfect egg. Easy to peel, no discoloration, no sulfur smell, and a cooked but still creamy yolk. Just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I've tried a lot of them and Optimun nutrition is the best tasting, best mixing, and best priced out there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Solid Muscle

My current favorite. I used to use dymatize, 5lbs for $38 was hard to beat before they sold out and changed to a non-absorbing shit powder. Total 180 there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've tried a lot of them and Optimun nutrition is the best tasting, best mixing, and best priced out there.
View Quote

I mixed two scoops this morning and stired it with a spoon instead of a blender. I was surprised when it mixed and no clumps or shit stuck in the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Solid Muscle

My current favorite. I used to use dymatize, 5lbs for $38 was hard to beat before they sold out and changed to a non-absorbing shit powder. Total 180 there.
View Quote

Thanks thats an awesome price and the protein to calorie ration almost seems too good to be true.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I mixed two scoops this morning and stired it with a spoon instead of a blender. I was surprised when it mixed and no clumps or shit stuck in the bottom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up a tub of ON chocolate flavor at Costco.  I tastes great mixed with milk and cost $40 for 50 servings.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I picked up a tub of ON chocolate flavor at Costco.  I tastes great mixed with milk and cost $40 for 50 servings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If one serving the is good then 2 should be great right? I mix two scoops but because I my stuff strong.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Solid Muscle

View Quote

This appears to be a scam, or at the very least an extremely shady company.

I placed an order for 3 bags on 10/30.

Nothing. Nada. Zip

I have emailed them 3 times, sent msgs on their website, and called. Every time I call it goes to voice mail.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1fromtx, RolandofGilead is very very correct, please pay attention to the parts in bold, especially the no fat part.

If you are too short on the good fats you could be wrecking your endocrine system.  And that is gonna get you all kinds of messed up and behind in your plans.

My two cents, I am sure someone will argue I'm wrong.  There is good info on this topic out there, check pubmed or another forum liket-nation.com

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/user/DonKey153/media/Protein_zps4b31c5fb.png.html" target="_blank">http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i43/DonKey153/Protein_zps4b31c5fb.png</a>

View Quote

Can someone tell me who/where this came from? I want to send it to someone and I'm sure they will ask how legit it is.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey OP, I just skimmed the thread but do you weigh 210lbs or do you have 210lbs of LEAN BODY MASS?

Don't base your protein intake including the 50lbs you wanna lose. Just the muscle etc.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey OP, I just skimmed the thread but do you weigh 210lbs or do you have 210lbs of LEAN BODY MASS?

Don't base your protein intake including the 50lbs you wanna lose. Just the muscle etc.
View Quote

200lbs lean body mass. 15-18 of fat under my neckbeard.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top