Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 9:29:23 AM EDT
I am currently working on fat loss, avoiding grains and sugar, and want to eat a rounded macro set (around 35-40% carb, 35-37% protein, and 20-25% fat).  I exercise daily, around an hour, bodyweight exercises one day then hiit/walking the next.  I eat a load of vegetables along with avocados, eggs, cheese, 1.5 to 2 pounds of meat, and tomato paste.

I currently eat romaine lettuce, celery, green peppers, and sweet potato with around 700 mg magnesium, 9400 mg potassium, 1150 mg calcium, 2000 mg sodium and 61 grams of fiber.  

Is this too much or would I be better lowering the amounts of vegetables and raising the sweet potatoes for less k, magnesium, and fiber?

I could actually cut down to just eating sweet potatoes, ditching the lettuce/celery/peppers and end up with 46 grams fiber, 600 mg magnesium, 7500 mg k.  It would be a bit more starch, around 8 ounces more sweet potatoes daily, but I cook and cool them then eat the next day.

Basically how much is too much with fiber, and vitamins/minerals?

Am I better off reworking what I eat to be closer to the RDA for vitamins/minerals?

Do you really need to eat a variety of vegetables if one vegetable will meet all your needs?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I am no nutritionist but my experience has been that no one vegetable meets all of your needs.  There are trace minerals that are contained in different amounts in different veggies and you may suffer ailments if you are lacking.  I would suggest well balanced veggies while cutting down on the items you speak of.  

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I would cut out the cheese an potatoes. They are mostly empty calories. You don't need the fat in the cheese or the carbs in the roots.

I would also cut out much of that meat.

Eat lots of veggies, half of them raw, fruit, and some nuts
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO Id flip flop the carb and fat ratios. Keep eating a variety of veggies, and see how that goes.

I don't really concern myself with the RDA. I know if I eat a variety of healthy foods that I should be covered.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would cut out the cheese an potatoes. They are mostly empty calories. You don't need the fat in the cheese or the carbs in the roots.

View Quote

I agree with you on the potatoes, but fat is FAR from empty calories.  Not much out there that will satiate you longer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#5]
You sound like you are overthinking things.  I don't worry about RDAs.  I figure my body will piss out whatever I don't need.  Like was said above, switch the carb and fat percentages and keep moving.  Weight loss will come, but it takes time.  If you can, add a morning or evening walk or bike ride just to add more low intensity exercise as it sounds like you are already doing some strength training and HIIT.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and sweet potatoes aren't empty calories...you may not need a bunch of the carbs, but they are fairly nutrient dense and a good source of carbs when you do need them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh, and sweet potatoes aren't empty calories...you may not need a bunch of the carbs, but they are fairly nutrient dense and a good source of carbs when you do need them.
View Quote

I echo this. Sweet potatoes are far from empty calories as they are a complex carb. Empty calories would be a can of soda.

Switch your carb and fat ratios, provided they are HEALTHY fats, ie, EVOO, avacados, fish oil, etc. I would also up your protein intake a bit as that will keep you satiated longer.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
zombie double tap
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree with you on the potatoes, but fat is FAR from empty calories.  Not much out there that will satiate you longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While fat satisfies for a long time it is 9 calories per gram, while carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram.

He is trying to lose weight.

The best way to do that is cut the fat and carbs which have very little vitamins and constantly eat veggies and fruit  and maximize the nutrition.

The 2 reasons junk foods makes people fat is that it is loaded with fat and low on vitamins. The body knows it needs vitamins and craves eating to get more.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While fat satisfies for a long time it is 9 calories per gram, while carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram.

The best way to do that is cut the fat and carbs which have very little vitamins and constantly eat veggies and fruit  and maximize the nutrition.

The 2 reasons junk foods makes people fat is that it is loaded with fat and low on vitamins. The body knows it needs vitamins and craves eating to get more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you going to do for energy if you cut fat and carbs? You need fat, your brain runs off of it. Junk food doesn't make you fat because it has fat in it, it makes you fat because it's easy to overeat and it's loaded with sugar. Remember, it's not always as easy as calories in vs calories out. It's a little more complicated than that, especially when you get into sugar and insulin responses.

The recommendation to cut fat out of the diet is one of the reasons why so many people are fat...of course they replace that with carbs.

No reason to cut fat.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should look at more current thoughts on Weight Loss, Simple carbs are bad, fat is good.

In 2.5 months I'm down 26 pounds simply by removing grains (breads, pasta, tortillas) and sugar, and adding good fats, plus some things previously labeled bad like Eggs and sausage.

I have also increased my veggie intake.

And no, I'm not on a no carb diet and in ketosis, in fact I wouldn't even say I'm on a diet, I'm just eating better.

No exercise, just a change of diet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#12]
You're not going to get too much vitamin/mineral content from fruits and vegetables...or any othe whole, natural food source, unless you eat polar bear liver.  Fiber. - probably won't get too much, but it's possible.

Why limit yourself to such a narrow scope of vegetables though?  Mix it up and eat a wid variety.  For salads, leaf lettuce one week, then maybe spunach, the arugula, followed by romaine.

Grill some zucchini one day, eggplant the next.  Asparagus, summer squash.  Grated turnips can be a tasty low carb sub for potatoes.  Make a goal to buy at least one new veggie every trip to the store.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
, your brain runs off of it. (Fat)
View Quote

No.  The brain only runs on glucose.  Ketosis enables your body to fuel the brain on extremely low carb, but the brain does not metabolize fat like skeletal muscle and the heart do.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Carbs be the debil!!  

Seriously, the low carb craze is about as stupid as the low fat craze.  Every macro nutrient serves it's purpose, change that according to your lifestyle.  Rule of thumb is that active lifestyles need more carbs, sedentary lifestyles need less carbs.  And the biggest determinent of weight loss is your calories, macros come in second but calories are the most important thing you need to have in check for losing weight.

Fwiw my carb intake is steady at 45-46% of my calories (2g per lb of bw), I had zero issues getting down to a single digit bf %.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No.  The brain only runs on glucose.  Ketosis enables your body to fuel the brain on extremely low carb, but the brain does not metabolize fat like skeletal muscle and the heart do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semantics maybe, but you need fat for your brain to function normally.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20329590
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think I work as well on fat as on carbs.  I did a ketogenic  diet and lost well over 100 pounds, but always had the tired/no energy feeling.  That could have been the low amount of calories that I was eating though.

Quoted:
IMO Id flip flop the carb and fat ratios. Keep eating a variety of veggies, and see how that goes.

I don't really concern myself with the RDA. I know if I eat a variety of healthy foods that I should be covered.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't think I work as well on fat as on carbs.  I did a ketogenic  diet and lost well over 100 pounds, but always had the tired/no energy feeling.  That could have been the low amount of calories that I was eating though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

After the keto flu passed, if you were still tired/no energy, it was because you were eating at too great a deficit.  I'm on this diet now, loving it.  Eggs and bacon for breffis, steak for lunch, meat and veggies for dinner, rinse and repeat.  When I'm hungry I eat nuts and cheese.  At 6' 230lbs, I can eat 2500cal a day and still lose weight.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not saying you need to go Keto at all (though it IS an option) just that if it were me, I'd flip flop them. IMO that's more carbs than you need.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
 At 6' 230lbs, I can eat 2500cal a day and still lose weight.
View Quote

At your height and weight with moderate activity you should probably eat 3000-3200  calories a day to maintain your weight.  I would think at 2500 calories you would lose weight following any decent eating plan, not just ketosis.

I agree that I was probably too low of calorie when I used the ketogenic diet, which is why I felt tired/fatigued.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:00:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not saying you need to go Keto at all (though it IS an option) just that if it were me, I'd flip flop them. IMO that's more carbs than you need.
View Quote

I believe that it could switch and be decent, probably at around 150-180 carbs a day.  

I think for any decent eating plan protein needs to be kept higher (1 gram/pound bodyweight) then pick either higher carb/lower fat or higher fat/lower carb.  The trouble comes when high fat and high carb are done together, especially with lower protein.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Essential fatty acids are, well, essential.  

Runs on, though, implies use as a substrate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, didn't mean to imply that. Words mean things, I know....
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Marine use picture to tell story
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fat good for brain. Too many carb, not enough fat make brain hurt and make RoG stupid(er).

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You should look at more current thoughts on Weight Loss, Simple carbs are bad, fat is good.

In 2.5 months I'm down 26 pounds simply by removing grains (breads, pasta, tortillas) and sugar, and adding good fats, plus some things previously labeled bad like Eggs and sausage.

And no, I'm not on a no carb diet and in ketosis, in fact I wouldn't even say I'm on a diet, I'm just eating better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lost 4 pounds a week for 6 weeks following the " eat to live diet"

vegetables, fruits, nuts.

cheese is empty fat, little nutrition.

pasta, rice, wheat, bread, potatoes, all calories with little nutrition.

If you want to lose weight, you need to cut calories and maximize nutrition.

Nuts, avocado, and others all have needed far, but also maximize nutrition for those calories.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I lost 4 pounds a week for 6 weeks following the " eat to live diet"

vegetables, fruits, nuts.

cheese is empty fat, little nutrition.

pasta, rice, wheat, bread, potatoes, all calories with little nutrition.

If you want to lose weight, you need to cut calories and maximize nutrition.

Nuts, avocado, and others all have needed far, but also maximize nutrition for those calories.
View Quote

Ok, so you're not actually eating a low fat diet.

Also as I said before, just remember that although cutting calories is good, it IS more complicated than that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Fat good for brain. Too many carb, not enough fat make brain hurt and make RoG stupid(er).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much word not pichers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top