Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 7:44:20 AM EDT
On a whim, I signed up for a Sprint Tri. It happens in 9 days.

Give me your best piece of advice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#1]
9 Days?

You should be well into your taper by now.  Just some light ½-speed workouts between now and then, take the last two days completely off and you'll be good to go!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Embrace the suck. Bring anti-cramping juice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9 Days?

You should be well into your taper by now.  Just some light ½-speed workouts between now and then, take the last two days completely off and you'll be good to go!
View Quote

Yep, just staying loose. I jumped in with less than a month to train. Did a Half-Marathon a couple of months ago, so the run should be fine. Swim will be interesting.

It'll be 100 degrees by the time I get off the bike...I'm too old for that shit.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Sprint triathlons are a blast.  If you did a half marathon, a sprint tri shouldn't be an issue.  Time wise they might even be comparable.

If it's your first, just have fun.  Advice would be to get a tri suit or at least wear something you can wear the whole time.  My first triathlon back in high school I wore a jammer, out of the swim threw on shoes and a shirt to bike and run.  It worked at the time.  Also, if you don't have a good bike, I'd highly recommend investing in a road bike or tri bike.  Even a cheap model for $400 will be so much better than trying to bike with something not designed for speed.  But again it would depend on what you have now and if you plan to do more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sprint triathlons are a blast.  If you did a half marathon, a sprint tri shouldn't be an issue.  Time wise they might even be comparable.

If it's your first, just have fun.  Advice would be to get a tri suit or at least wear something you can wear the whole time.  My first triathlon back in high school I wore a jammer, out of the swim threw on shoes and a shirt to bike and run.  It worked at the time.  Also, if you don't have a good bike, I'd highly recommend investing in a road bike or tri bike.  Even a cheap model for $400 will be so much better than trying to bike with something not designed for speed.  But again it would depend on what you have now and if you plan to do more.
View Quote

Had Amazon Prime send me a Tyr Competitor tank and shorts last week. They seem fine. I picked up a Specialized Allez Elite. I'm not using clipless pedals, though. Bike's only 13 miles, so I'm not too worried there.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Just water on the bike. Don't bother with gels or other garbage at that distance
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just water on the bike. Don't bother with gels or other garbage at that distance
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing...and only one bottle. Maybe a Gu right before the swim?
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If you do a gu before the swim, make it 30 minutes or so before.   The swim may increase the risk of it coming back up during the swim.

Make sure you have a helmet.  If it is an open water swim, I highly recommend swimming in open water before the race.  If it is a larger event and your not a good swimmer, start in the back and outside of the turns.  You want to stay out of the washing machine that happens in the middle 2:00/100 people.  If you can't get in front of theses people, then stay behind and to the side.  

Sprints are fun and a lot of the people racing later season sprints are going after it for the first time.

Have fun and don't forget to take your helmet off before the run.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you tri-experienced?  This late in the game, don't change anything and don't try anything new on race day.

If you haven't done a tri before, don't fall to the temptation to bike hard.  Keep your effort moderate and go for it on the run.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you tri-experienced?  This late in the game, don't change anything and don't try anything new on race day.

If you haven't done a tri before, don't fall to the temptation to bike hard.  Keep your effort moderate and go for it on the run.
View Quote

I've done endurance races, but this is my first tri. Since it's a sprint...it'll be hard not to push. The heat will be a reminder to leave something for the run, though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've done endurance races, but this is my first tri. Since it's a sprint...it'll be hard not to push. The heat will be a reminder to leave something for the run, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Resistance scales to the 3rd power vs speed on the bike as you get to speeds > ~20mph and linearly vs speed on the run.  Bike for show; run for dough and I say that as a cyclist first.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got two friends doing the same tri, both of whom have completed an Ironman recently.

Ones a gal who will be starting 20 minutes behind me. It's going to be humiliating if I get passed. She'll let me know loudly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing...and only one bottle. Maybe a Gu right before the swim?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only if you've done it in training. I used to use the gels, but I don't like the sugar.

Don't do anything crazy. Over thinking Nutrition during a sprint will only make you cramp up. I would eat a few hours before, coffee hour/30 mins ahead and then water on the bike only. You shouldn't "bonk" unless you go to hard on the bike, but thats not a nutrition issue.

Bring a beer for afterwards. For the carbs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:30:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got two friends doing the same tri, both of whom have completed an Ironman recently.

Ones a gal who will be starting 20 minutes behind me. It's going to be humiliating if I get passed. She'll let me know loudly.
View Quote

When I did IM Louisville, it was an ego check watching fat girls pass me in the first 20-30 miles of the bike.  By maintaining discipline and following my pacing plan, they all came back late in the ride or on the run.  Not saying to ride like you have a flowered basket and a banana seat on the bike.  Just be mindful of the run to follow and realize that there is far more bang for the exertion $ in the run than on the bike, even in a sprint.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top