Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 6:22:48 AM EDT
I started getting ready for an upcoming PT test. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. Last week I started push ups, sit ups and squats. My squats and sit ups are going good. My push are lacking. My initial push up max was 32. This week I started and could barely do 20. Why is it going down? Is this normal?

I'm 31, 6', 220lbs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I started getting ready for an upcoming PT test. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. Last week I started push ups, sit ups and squats. My squats and sit ups are going good. My push are lacking. My initial push up max was 32. This week I started and could barely do 20. Why is it going down? Is this normal?

I'm 31, 6', 220lbs.
View Quote

Looks like you answered your own question.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 31, 6', 220lbs.

Ok, so it's normal to drop on your max in the beginning?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Not enough information.

What programming are you doing, rest? Nutrition, etc...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not enough information.

View Quote

I maxed on a Sunday, 32
Tuesday Thursday did 4 sets 15 push-ups, 4 sets 20 sit ups, 4 sets of 20 squats. Doing push-ups, sit ups and squats one after the other with no rest.
Didn't do any push-ups until today, was going to go for 4 sets 20. Got to 18 and could barely push myself.

I get 7.5-8 hours of sleep every night.

Morning eat Greek yogurt, protein shake and a bagel.
Break eat one banana and an apple.
Lunch eat fish and vegetables
Break eat orange and banana
Dinner is a mix, sometimes I just eat PB and honey with two bananas and a protein shake. Other nights it's chicken and rice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I've done this a time or two, http://hundredpushups.com/. Just make sure you define a push up and stick with it. I used to go to elbows at 90 degrees and locked out at the top. When I started crossfit 5 years ago, that changed to chest touches the ground to elbows locked out. My max went WAY down. If you happened to go just a little deeper the next day, it would have made a huge difference.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Still a little vague on your routine...however...don't just try to drop down and do a max set right off the bat.  Make sure you warm up well first.  I always take a 10 lb weight and do ten clockwise and ten counter clockwise circles with each arm to warm up my shoulders.  Then do a couple of sets of "high angle" push ups...ten reps...feet on floor and hands on the arm of a couch or the seat of a chair.  Once you are well warmed up then go for your max.  You will see a nice difference.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I maxed on a Sunday, 32
Tuesday Thursday did 4 sets 15 push-ups, 4 sets 20 sit ups, 4 sets of 20 squats. Doing push-ups, sit ups and squats one after the other with no rest.
Didn't do any push-ups until today, was going to go for 4 sets 20. Got to 18 and could barely push myself.

Dinner is a mix, sometimes I just eat PB and honey with two bananas and a protein shake. Other nights it's chicken and rice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not enough information.

I maxed on a Sunday, 32

So what's that work out to in calories? What's the macro breakdown?

I'm assuming you're trying to drop weight based on that diet. Caloric restriction, particularly when it's a poor diet, doesn't promote optimal conditions for muscle growth/strength development, especially when you aren't starting with a strong, muscular base. More fat/protein from meats, nuts, dairy, eggs and less carbs (eliminate processed carbs like the bagel and sweetened yogurt). Others here can give better advice on diet.

Why are you trying to drop weight? If you aren't going to be penalized for weight or tape, prioritize strength.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]
If you haven't worked out in a while, your recovery time will be longer. Your legs and abdominal/hip muscles get more use in day to day activities than your chest  anterior delts, and triceps. Basically, your push up muscles are more out of shape than your squatting and sit up muscles.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you're trying to drop weight based on that diet. Caloric restriction, particularly when it's a poor diet, doesn't promote optimal conditions for muscle growth/strength development, especially when you aren't starting with a strong, muscular base. More fat/protein from meats, nuts, dairy, eggs and less carbs (eliminate processed carbs like the bagel and sweetened yogurt). Others here can give better advice on diet.

Why are you trying to drop weight? If you aren't going to be penalized for weight or tape, prioritize strength.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not enough information.

I maxed on a Sunday, 32

I'm not sure what it equates to in calories. I have been just tying to eat healthier instead of the junk I used to eat. I have been eating the same stuff for the past 3-4 months only changing chicken and fish instead of fast food like subway.

What should I be eating? I'm comfortable at 220, but would like to drop body fat for more muscle.

Quoted:
If you haven't worked out in a while, your recovery time will be longer. Your legs and abdominal/hip muscles get more use in day to day activities than your chest  anterior delts, and triceps. Basically, your push up muscles are more out of shape than your squatting and sit up muscles.

That makes sense. I have been sitting a desk for the past two years but do a lot of walking at work.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't buy it. He's doing BW exercises and has experienced a significant drop in ability. IMO his diet will affect recovery more than his fitness level.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not enough information.

I maxed on a Sunday, 32

I'm not sure what it equates to in calories. I have been just tying to eat healthier instead of the junk I used to eat. I have been eating the same stuff for the past 3-4 months only changing chicken and fish instead of fast food like subway.

What should I be eating? I'm comfortable at 220, but would like to drop body fat for more muscle.

Without quantities, I can only guess. It appears that you're eating 1500-2000 calories/day, if your list is accurate. Your BMR will be over 2000 and the added activity will only increase it. Basically, you aren't getting enough calories nor are you getting the right kind of calories to adequately recover.

Check out Mark's Daily Apple. Now you don't have to totally eliminate processed carbs if you don't want to, but you should minimize them and increase your protein and fat intake. Use this as a resource and learn what works for you.

Also, if you want to build muscle, buy Starting Strength. Start lifting. Your body's adaptation is limited with BW exercises.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#11]
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
If you haven't worked out in a while, your recovery time will be longer. Your legs and abdominal/hip muscles get more use in day to day activities than your chest anterior delts, and triceps. Basically, your push up muscles are more out of shape than your squatting and sit up muscles.
View Quote

I don't buy it. He's doing BW exercises and has experienced a significant drop in ability. IMO his diet will affect recovery more than his fitness level.
View Quote

What he was suggesting is really not an unreasonable suggestion. If went from 0 work to max pretest followed by a relatively brief period (say a week) of daily workouts and then max tested himself again on a consecutive day, without allowing for muscle recovery, that his muscles would still be fatigued and that his "max" might appear lower than it was on the pretest.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What he was suggesting is really not an unreasonable suggestion. If went from 0 work to max pretest followed by a relatively brief period (say a week) of daily workouts and then max tested himself again on a consecutive day, without allowing for muscle recovery, that his muscles would still be fatigued and that his "max" might appear lower than it was on the pretest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[Jump To Reply]Quoted:
If you haven't worked out in a while, your recovery time will be longer. Your legs and abdominal/hip muscles get more use in day to day activities than your chest anterior delts, and triceps. Basically, your push up muscles are more out of shape than your squatting and sit up muscles.

Apparently I can read.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Not enough information.

I maxed on a Sunday, 32

It appears he struggled to complete 18 reps on his first work set after a few days of rest. He had previously maxed at 32 reps. He had completed multiple workouts at 4x15. His eating habits are not optimal for his activity. Ergo, I find it hard to believe he is overtraining.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top