Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 6:35:01 PM EDT
As stated, I'm 39yo in a few weeks and although I'm fairly fit, I'd like to make sure I avoid back problems forever.  

I purchased the book "Starting Strength" last week but it still hasn't arrived, I have access to a small free weight set.  I might buy a larger set over time.  I have not done any lifting since the high school wrestling team days, about 21 years ago.  I have a sedentary job, but I'm trying to be fairly active in spite of that, running and hiking.  Hunting in the fall, etc.

Any suggestions?

SCW
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Almost 30 or almost 40? Doesn't matter honestly.

I was an infantry Marine and my back hurt all the time. Knees too. The best thing I ever did was start USING my damn muscles. LIft things up and set them down. Squat and deadlift.

I'll also say that I've seen a lot of people really help their back issues by doing Pilates. Sounds gay, but it's not. That shit is hard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was an infantry Marine and my back hurt all the time. Knees too. The best thing I ever did was start USING my damn muscles. LIft things up and set them down. Squat and deadlift.

I'll also say that I've seen a lot of people really help their back issues by doing Pilates. Sounds gay, but it's not. That shit is hard.
View Quote

I fixed it, almost 40.

I tried doing some yoga a few times, but even though it was really hard i found it boring enough that i couldn't stick it out. Maybe I'll try to incorporate some of that or the pilates again..

I don't have any back issues now, I just figure it's time to start being smart about things.  I'm get a lot of exercise these days and trying to get a few pounds lighter (I'm 5-10 and 188#) but I see a lot of posts about back problems mostly in GD, and figured it's time to make sure that's not me.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I fixed it, almost 40.

I tried doing some yoga a few times, but even though it was really hard i found it boring enough that i couldn't stick it out. Maybe I'll try to incorporate some of that or the pilates again..

I don't have any back issues now, I just figure it's time to start being smart about things.  I'm get a lot of exercise these days and trying to get a few pounds lighter (I'm 5-10 and 188#) but I see a lot of posts about back problems mostly in GD, and figured it's time to make sure that's not me.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fixed it, almost 40.

Well, you're on the right track. Weight isn't so much the issue as body composition remember. (I"m 5'9" and 186). Yeah, Pilates can be a bit boring but even 1-2 times a week can help. Make sure you have a good instructor. They should be making corrections and making sure that small stabilizer muscles are firing (it's really hard to do this.
Other than that, do your SS, transition to an intermediate program later on, do some conditioning, mobilize, eat well, and you should be GTG.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Develop a stretching regimen.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Strength fixes everything.

Pilates is gay, but it's damn hard and it does help.  

Yoga helps a lot of people.

recovery makes a big difference.  stretching, yoga, massage, heat, ice, sleep!, etc

Stop sitting.  sitting is horribly bad for your whole system (as I type this sitting down).   Movement of any type makes a big difference.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Remember to start light and don't over do it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Remember to start light and don't over do it.
View Quote

This.  Read the book when it arrives.  Read the articles and forums over at Starting Strength.com

Get a good bench and power rack.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

recovery makes a big difference.  stretching, yoga, massage, heat, ice, sleep!, etc

Stop sitting.  sitting is horribly bad for your whole system (as I type this sitting down).   Movement of any type makes a big difference.

View Quote

Yeah, I'll try some stretching but the sitting is going to be a problem forever I think.  That's the problem with white collar jobs.

Here's to deadlifting and squats!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'll try some stretching but the sitting is going to be a problem forever I think.  That's the problem with white collar jobs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't skip the second squat session, your legs will hurt even worse.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]
try getting a standing desk or something for work. follow mobilitywod on twitter/ look at website. chances are you've been doing everything wrong, from standing to taking a poop. Dedicate some time each night to mobility/stretching, even if its 10 mins to undue all the damage caused by sitting all day. Also buy "becoming a supple leopard"

I started deadlifting again, doing GHD hip and back extensions and have been seeing an chiropractor regularly. I had MRI and herniated L5S1 last year, but I am in less pain and stronger now. There is a also a decent chance you already have a herniated disk, but arent showing symptoms/pain, but theres not much you can do about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
And, keep your abs strong.  When your core is weak, your back ends up taking up the slack.
And, find a good chiropractor. And take good care of your discs.
And, when you lift weights, if you can't do 3 sets of 15 reps, then don't bother touching it as it's hard on your joints.  (not a rule, just a guideline I started following a long time ago)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And, when you lift weights, if you can't do 3 sets of 15 reps, then don't bother touching it as it's hard on your joints.  (not a rule, just a guideline I started following a long time ago)
View Quote

It's not a rule because it's wrong and has zero science backing it up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This.
And, keep your abs strong.  When your core is weak, your back ends up taking up the slack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Any actually scientific evidence that shows that or just broscience?

EDIT: ROG beat me to it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Step 1:  have good genes.

Step 2:  exercise your back and core muscles.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:05:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is a also a decent chance you already have a herniated disk, but arent showing symptoms/pain, but theres not much you can do about it.
View Quote

This is what I'm afraid of.  I've had a minor pain in my low back for a few months that grabs once in a while and seems to be taking forever to get better.  It's the result of showing a 16yo kid that outweighed me by 50lbs who's tougher.  I think he won in the long run-

I'm a field engineer, so I drive big construction projects all day every day.  I try to get out and do a little hiking each day at work, but regardless I'm going to be driving 2-300 miles each day for work.  

Thanks all, lots to consider
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't get old.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Step 1: have good genes.

Step 2:  exercise your back and core muscles.
View Quote

I think this is a big part of it.

I'm 53 and have no back issues.
I'm a SW engineer so I sit most of the day. I have bicycled most of my life, inline skate (this works lower back hard) and do core workouts once a week.

I've seen people a lot tougher than me with fucked up backs.

Oh, I have always picked up heavy stuff properly with my legs, never the bend over and straighten up lift. Maybe that helps.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#18]
As stated multiple times already in this thread(so I'm probably beating a dead horse)

Stretching

Yoga or Pilates(if you'd rather not do classes or sessions, incorporate some of the movements into your stretch routine.)

Strengthen your abs and core

Most importantly, listen to your body, if you're feeling a little sore or weird, take some time off until you feel better. The world won't end and you'll feel great.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Look at a good mobility routine.  Kelly Starett or Joe Defranco's stuff is really good. If you want a pre set routine look up Defranco's limber 11. If you want a more detailed, diagnostic approach, look into Kelly Starett's book "Becoming a Suple Leopard" or the mobility WOD.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Stretch.  Core strength.  Good posture.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Be short.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Squats will make your core very strong. Just start light and use good form.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Look at a good mobility routine.  Kelly Starett or Joe Defranco's stuff is really good. If you want a pre set routine look up Defranco's limber 11. If you want a more detailed, diagnostic approach, look into Kelly Starett's book "Becoming a Suple Leopard" or the mobility WOD.
View Quote

I've been incorporating some of Kelly's stuff into my daily stretch routines, as well as some other things my chiro has recommended.  I hadn't heard of Defranco, but the limber 11 stuff looks good - will have to add some of that in.

I just watched Elliott Hulse's "Deep Squating Stretches" video and got a few ideas from that, and he has several other videos that deal with stretching/mobility.

I'm about a year back from some major injuries (car vs bicycle) - spine surgery, pelvic damage, leg/ankle breaks, etc. and I can say that starting to do 20 minutes, twice a day has helped me a ton.  I'm also now a big fan of yoga, which is something I never thought I'd say, but the DDP Yoga stuff was something I used for several months to start back on flexibility and core strength with good success.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Be short.
View Quote

Yep.  It's hard to be tall.

Get a band and stretch everyday.  I found that my hamstrings were the key to my having a healthy lower back.  Also, the hip areas, loosen them up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top