Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 6:37:17 PM EDT
A little history.

About 3 years ago, I was a 6'4" 354 pound fatass.  I got serious about lifting, flexible dieting, and counting macros, and had peeled down to 265 pounds.  Over the past 5 months, I've gotten back up to 280 pounds…not all of it bad…I've gotten stronger, and feel better, and my clothes are not tight, despite the extra 15 pounds.  Workouts consists of the Layne Norton PHAT program, and 2 days a week of HIIT…usually truck pushes or spin bike sprints.  I did this with ZERO steady state cardio.  In fact, I don't think I've run further than 200 yards in the last 15 years.

Prior to ballooning up, I played rugby in college, and was around 245-255 pounds, and was very haggard looking…so I do not expect to get below 250 pounds…I think that is about as low as I can go without having health problems or some sort.

That being said, I'd like to start running and improving my long duration/low intensity endurance.

My questions are, other than just going out for a job, how the hell do I start?  What kind of shoes do I need to buy?  Is there an advantage to running on the beach or track vs. the road/concrete?

I have no delusions of being fast over long distances…my best ever mile when I was playing rugby was a 7:00 minute mile for 3 miles…and I vomited afterwards.

I guess what I'm after is that I'd like to be able to run 10 miles maintaining an 8:30 - 9 minute pace, and not feel like I'm going to die.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A little history.

About 3 years ago, I was a 6'4" 354 pound fatass.  I got serious about lifting, flexible dieting, and counting macros, and had peeled down to 265 pounds.  Over the past 5 months, I've gotten back up to 280 pounds…not all of it bad…I've gotten stronger, and feel better, and my clothes are not tight, despite the extra 15 pounds.  Workouts consists of the Layne Norton PHAT program, and 2 days a week of HIIT…usually truck pushes or spin bike sprints.  I did this with ZERO steady state cardio.  In fact, I don't think I've run further than 200 yards in the last 15 years.

Prior to ballooning up, I played rugby in college, and was around 245-255 pounds, and was very haggard looking…so I do not expect to get below 250 pounds…I think that is about as low as I can go without having health problems or some sort.

That being said, I'd like to start running and improving my long duration/low intensity endurance.

My questions are, other than just going out for a job, how the hell do I start?  What kind of shoes do I need to buy?  Is there an advantage to running on the beach or track vs. the road/concrete?

I have no delusions of being fast over long distances…my best ever mile when I was playing rugby was a 7:00 minute mile for 3 miles…and I vomited afterwards.

I guess what I'm after is that I'd like to be able to run 10 miles maintaining an 8:30 - 9 minute pace, and not feel like I'm going to die.

Thanks in advance.

View Quote

Start slow.  Too much too fast will cause you issues and pain.

A lot of people do couch to 5k.

I don't know much about shoes. Some running shops will video the way you run and recommend shoes to fit your style.

I use minimalist footwear. I wouldn't suggest it unless you have run that way your whole life or want to put the time in to run that way.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know much about shoes. Some running shops will video the way you run and recommend shoes to fit your style.

I use minimalist footwear. I wouldn't suggest it unless you have run that way your whole life or want to put the time in to run that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
A little history.

Thanks in advance.

I echo the above.  If you've got a no-shit running shoe store (NOT Foot-locker or some BS like that, a store where the employees actually RUN for fun), I recommend you go there. If you don't have one near you, I've used this website to help me pick out shoes.  

Shoe Finder

Shoes make a HUGE difference. At one time, I would get shin-splints running less than two minutes.  I went to the doc, and he recommended I go to a running shoe store to get the right "type" of shoe. I've ran one half marathon, and three full marathons, and including training, more than 1,000 miles in less than 2 1/2 years.  

Start slow.  Do what you can do, then add a little time or speed to your next run.    Lather, rinse, repeat until you've reached your goal.  

Once you can do a couple miles easily, DON'T decide you can do those same couple miles in minimalist shoes.  You likely won't run for a LONG TIME.  I know a couple guys who had to take MONTHS of because they bit off more than their bodies could chew.  I like minimalist shoes, but you HAVE TO WORK UP TO THEM.  

I used to have a subscription to Runners World magazine.   There was a great series about a big guy that one day decided he was going to run.  I'm not remembering everything perfectly, but he started by taking a lap around his house in work boots.  And he was exhausted.  He worked his way up to enjoying long runs (marathon style).

When I was running a lot, I always thought the perfect motivational T-Shirt (my own idea) was this:

"My body does what I tell it to do."

Tell your body you're going to run, and you will.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on the hard work.  Shoes are probably the most important item. I can't tell you a specific shoe to get because all our feet and needs are different. Like with me I need good arch support. Here's a site that may help.  I also have a camel bak backpack I use for water and wallet ect.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I would recommend starting with walking.  In regards to cardiovascular exercise jogging is no better for you than walking.  You will lose weight quicker jogging/running than you will walking but really only slightly more (studies show about 20% more loss running verses walking,) and the wear and tear on your body is much less.

I would recommend starting with 30 minutes of 4 mph 3 times a week and adding to this.  I use Endomondo Sports Tracker app on my phone as it is free.  Nike has an app that works well too.  I also listen to music on my phone (Spotify) and I listen to music 140 bpm when I walk, 170 bpm when I jog which helps as well.

The most important thing for me is stride.  When I start out I start out slowly and get my stride into a good sustainable rhythm.  I concentrate on effortless flow.  If you feel yourself coming down hard on any part of your step, change your stride.  Visualize your step pushing you up and you go down in a smooth rocking motion and concentrate on what you need to do to accomplish this (Usually I have to shorten my stride to accomplish this but everyone's stride is different so you need to find what works for you.)

My main objective is making sure my stride is flowing naturally as possible, almost as if it takes more effort to stop than continue (believe it or not it does.  Every so often I have to stop to retie my shoe and it takes effort to stop!)  while my stride is habit now, I still pay attention to it while I warm up.  Knock on wood I've never had an injury and I believe this is in part why.

Pay attention to how you feel while you are running.  If you've never ran before it is naturally to have muscle pain (soreness) you can combat this with alieve, potassium and water but pay attention to bone aches.  Muscles will adjust bones won't.  If your joints start hurting slow down and pay attention to your stride.  Take a long look too at how you tie your shoes.  Believe it or not many injuries can be avoided by changing how you tie your shoes.  Again everyone is different but I have a narrow foot and I naturally like to have my shoe snug around it but I get shin splits if I tie my shoe too tight at the bottom of the tongue.  My hip has been hurting lately and I find it hurts less if it is slightly loser around the bridge of my foot.  Little things like this pay off in the long run.  I run about a 1000 miles a year which is a lot of wear and tear on the body after 30+ years!

Anyway, I would recommend planning a week, walk/jog 30 minutes 3 times a week and see how you feel.  

Habit is important as well.  It takes 2 days plus 1 day for every 10 years old you are to get in shape physically (7-8 days mentally) so if you want to just bite the bullet and become a runner/walker than plan 30 minutes a day 5-6 days a week and do it--each week increase your speed/time.  (If you're 30 it will take 5 days to get in shape physically)

I run a different route each time I run as well though this has more to do with muscle memory for me and little to do with cardiovascular health.  If you are mostly interested in cardio I would aim to have your heart rate about 100 bpm sustained for 20-30 minutes and increase that 100 bpm by 10-20 minutes a week.  Right now I can run about 12 minute miles for 2 1/2 hours (physically I could go much longer but after about 2 & 1/2 hours my mind has found it's middle finger and wants to do something else. FWIW running is more of a mental game than a physical one!)

I ran daily for years but now that I am *cough* older I rest more and change more.  I will go for a long run (7-8+ miles) in the morning, short 2-3 mile the next evening, short 2-3 miles the next morning, short 2-3 miles next morning, long 7-8+ mile run the next evening, rest, rest, rest repeat series with similar variations.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
OP...

I've always hated running....for 30 fucking years I hated it with every fiber of my being...

than i went to a running store where the watched how i run on a treadmill and made several shoe recommendations.  I ended up with a running shoe with lots of support (and $130.00 lighter in my wallet).  

The difference between running in this shoe and the typical $60 or so running shoes I had been wearing is phenomenal...I can now run up to three miles with no foot or knee pain.

So, I'd say your first step is to get fitted for a running shoe.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.c25k.com/ worked for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top