Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2014 9:10:14 PM EDT
Im about out of ideas on this so Im bringing it here. Basically, no matter what exercise I do, running, pushups, pullups... I lose whatever I gain (reps, strength, speed) way too fast. Were talking I will work up to 60 pushups, let life get in the way for 4 or 5 days and am back down to maybe 45 max. I'd almost think it was a chemical thing (testosterone/hormone) but Im pretty much good to go in all those departments without doing a blood panel to be sure. I run 3 or 5 mile courses two to three times a week and have for the last four years or so. After kicking the 5 milers ass for a while, If I take more than a week off from running altogether, Im struggling on the three mile course. Am I just SOL and condemned to having to work out every single day or else lose what strides I make?

Im early thirties, great diet, always been athletic and active, am 6'4 and was at about 220 when I was in damn good shape playing college ball but have slimmed down to the 205-210 range now. All I want is overall and well rounded health, strength and fitness. Not looking to compete or bulk up anymore but I like how I feel when Im strong and fast and feel like Im "losing it" way too fast for my age and activity level. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#1]
do you like long walks on the beach?

It's called a max for a reason, I would focus more on something you can consistently accomplish and try to improve that through increasing volume and intensity through periodization or whatever methodology you subscribe to.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to get the bloodwork just to make sure. My doc took one look at me and said "you definitely don't have T-level issues", but I was all of the sudden having a hard time maintaining my lifts. If your levels are low, the treatment isn't that big of a deal. Test cyp is cheap and the results are well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You might want to get the bloodwork just to make sure. My doc took one look at me and said "you definitely don't have T-level issues", but I was all of the sudden having a hard time maintaining my lifts. If your levels are low, the treatment isn't that big of a deal. Test cyp is cheap and the results are well worth it.
View Quote

What treatment are you talking about?..  the last one I was on, people are suing the company that made it.....
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]
People were suing because they are greedy fucks bring goaded on by Greedier lawyers based on a study that was wrought with error.

Link Posted: 7/9/2014 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
do you like long walks on the beach?

It's called a max for a reason, I would focus more on something you can consistently accomplish and try to improve that through increasing volume and intensity through periodization or whatever methodology you subscribe to.
View Quote

This doesn't make any sense and isn't helpful at all. If he is able to do 60 pushups, he shouldn't have that number drop to 45 in 4 days. He's TRYING to accomplish something consistently and is struggling with it.

If I don't lift for about 2 weeks my maxes would barely be effected, if at all. In 2 weeks my run would suffer a little, but not a whole lot. OP has a legit question.

I'm also in my early 30s OP, sorry I don't really have any ideas for you.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What treatment are you talking about?..  the last one I was on, people are suing the company that made it.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shoot a few hundred mg of test cyp into my ass every week. It's cheap and works well. I have not had the urge to sue anyone yet.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Few hundred?  That ain't replacement doses... that's juicing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Few hundred?  That ain't replacement doses... that's juicing.
View Quote

I may sue you for defamation of character (just kidding).

You are right though, I'm on a higher dose than most.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you sure you're actually getting a true max effort? A lot of things like push-ups or running depend on how you feel that day. How about any of your lifts? Are they affected? I've gone weeks without lifting and seen minor strength decreases
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

When you get older, too much time off can hurt as bad as too little.  When I was racing, I avoided talking the day before an event completely off because I would be flat or stale from the break. Instead I'd do an easy workout with 5 or 6 hard, but short efforts the day prior to an event to "open" my legs.

Same principle applies here.  More than a couple days off, especially for endurance or anaerobic capacity type work, and you should scale back your first couple sessions from what your previous AVERAGE (not max) workout was prior to the layoff.  Build back up from there.

Consistence is key, especially as you get older.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When you get older, too much time off can hurt as bad as too little.  When I was racing, I avoided talking the day before an event completely off because I would be flat or stale from the break. Instead I'd do an easy workout with 5 or 6 hard, but short efforts the day prior to an event to "open" my legs.

Same principle applies here.  More than a couple days off, especially for endurance or anaerobic capacity type work, and you should scale back your first couple sessions from what your previous AVERAGE (not max) workout was prior to the layoff.  Build back up from there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point, I also found when I was competing that too much rest wasn't beneficial.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I turn 40 later this year and if I'm "maxing" I've found 4 to 5 days off before an attempt IMPROVES my max effort day.  I'm not saying taking 4 or 5 days of regularly helps, but if you have been working hard regularly for a long period of time usually that short break helps in my case.

As far as a max effort on body weight exercises I don't see the point, but I would imagine it's all about how you feel that day and could vary greatly from workout to workout.

No test here and I'm shredded as f*ck almost as ripped now as I was when I was 30.  Of course I'm only 5'6" and 160ish pounds though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I turn 40 later this year and if I'm "maxing" I've found 4 to 5 days off before an attempt IMPROVES my max effort day.  I'm not saying taking 4 or 5 days of regularly helps, but if you have been working hard regularly for a long period of time usually that short break helps in my case.

As far as a max effort on body weight exercises I don't see the point, but I would imagine it's all about how you feel that day and could vary greatly from workout to workout.

No test here and I'm shredded as f*ck almost as ripped now as I was when I was 30.  Of course I'm only 5'6" and 160ish pounds though.
View Quote

The same thing happens to me.  I suspect it's because it takes my tired 45 yo body that much longer to heal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top