Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2014 6:10:03 PM EDT
When I get done with lifting  I drink two scoops of chocolate Dymatize protein powder mixed with water and eat  a banana. When I get done running I drink one scoop of protein powder mixed with water.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Water
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
lately I have been mixing one cup of OJ with a small carton of egg whites and drinking it.  doesn't taste bad at all, and that is 50 grams of protein right there with some carbs.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Whey shake with some other stuff or eggs and meat.  This morning I had 3 eggs and 1/2 a pound of ground beef when I got home from the gym.  Yummy
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Chocolate milk.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I mix up a creatine shake with glutamine and amino acids. I don't do a traditional protein shake due to the calories. I also do beef liver tablets throughout the day at meals
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Sitting here with my first every glass of raw cows milk. Im a law breaker.

But seriously, I gave up the protein a while ago because I didnt want to pay for it and I saw no difference in performance, whatsoever. I am interested to see how this milk works for me, and if it upsets my stomach the way vitamin d wal mart milk would.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny this topic came up.

Yesterday I was reading a few fitness sites and came upon a discussion of post workout nutrition. The author knew a former Mr. Universe, who invariably after he finished training walked over to the Applebee's next door to the gym, and had a glass of milk and several slices of apple pie.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Always protein shake with creatine and glutamine.  Then usually eggs, a handful of Brazil nuts, and some carbs.  My carbs and carb intake change depending on my goals.  If I'm cutting it will consist of mainly fruit and yogurt, if not then almost anything goes but I'll often have a big plate of rice if I really need to replenish glucose stores.  I will always eat several hundred calories immediately after a workout.  I also will do the majority of my workouts in a fasted state.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I work out three times a day, six days a week. Post-workout intake:

After the morning session: Lunch.
After the afternoon session: Dinner.
After the evening session: Sandwich and two handfuls of walnuts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Immediately after I eat a big bowl of Captain Crunch with a 40gr chocolate protein shake as my "milk". One hour later, steak and sweet potatoes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm of the opinion that the "anabolic window" is a bunch of horseshit, so I eat a normal meal or drink a shake when I'm hungry; sometimes that's immediately, sometimes that's a couple of hours later. What and when you eat before the workout is much more important.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Read Isreatals stuff.

Anabolic window is supported by research.

Don't go by what people who do juice and insulin have post workout... it's not the same as non juicers.

Protein doesn't increase performance, and it's very doubtful you'll notice any real difference unless well of your macros are dialed in.

If you're not consistently having a1g/lb bodyweight daily intake of protein... with an appropriate caloric intake?  Yep. Most protein shakes Wil seem useless.

Protein shakes are no magic that make workouts more effective. If you're not busting ass and being consistent with your diet... don't waste your damn money.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Whey + Dextrose
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Dymatize iso and a peanut butter and bannana sandwich.  Lots of peanut butter.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lately I have been mixing one cup of OJ with a small carton of egg whites and drinking it.  doesn't taste bad at all, and that is 50 grams of protein right there with some carbs.

View Quote

damn, that s a good idea using the little egg white cartons
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I use protein, maltodextrin, creatine, beta-alanine, coconut oil and water blended as my during workout drink.

Start your recovery during the workout.

REal food afterwards: eggs/sweet potatoes.

Ive put on a solid 10 lbs over the last few months
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Iso-Smooth Chocolate Shake followed by two Ostrims.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#18]
MuscleTech Phase 8 chocolate.  Very filling, low carb, plenty of protein.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Immediately after finishing the workout, I drink a serving of MuscleTech CreaCore HCL creatine (the orange fusion flavor is quite tasty) and then immediately follow that up with a whey protein shake. I usually eat a meal about an hour afterward. What I eat varies, but my post-workout meals tend to be my most calorie dense meals of the day. And being I am in a bulking phase, I'm not as anal retentive about throwing some extra carbs in there. When you're working out with heavy ass weights for 1.5 hours, 6 days a week, your body needs those extra carbs.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#20]
One scoop of Optimum hydrowhey.  One scoop of Optimum tri-celle casein.  ~ 3 grams of leucine.  2 scoops of Optimum Glyco-maize(still playing around with this).  Finally 5 grams of creation monohydrate.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]
6oz of 90/10 ground beef. 3-4 jumbo eggs. 2 slices of bread or 3-4 tortillas. One greek yogurt cup. A glass of milk. 2 glasses of water.

I rarely touch protein powder now. I just make sure that I'm eating a good amount at all times.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:24:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Safe/healthy to consume raw? OJ is a fairly strong flavor so I'm assuming it tastes ok?

I've tried about a dozen different protein powders now and can't stand them. I've pretty much given up on protein shakes because the taste is so horrible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 2:23:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
6oz of 90/10 ground beef. 3-4 jumbo eggs.
View Quote

Yum. Sounds great. Wish I could have that.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#24]
egg beaters, etc are all pasturized.  

the egg whites are actually higher bioavailability than using whole eggs and discarding the yolk...   due to the pasturization.

Cartons of egg whites> actual egg whites.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Most of the time for convenience I drink something as opposed to whole foods. 5 gr. creatine mixed with some dextrose and then 40 gr. whey (whatever was on sale the month before - good stuff too, not cheap amino-spiked shit). When I can find it, I use orange Gatorade powder (it has dextrose in it) and mix it with vanilla whey and creatine. Orange creamsicle. Or I mix apple juice, 1/4 cup oats, cinnamon, vanilla whey, and creatine - viola, apple pie. Good stuff!

ETA: This is all for weight lifting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:13:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chocolate milk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Vanilla IsaLeanPro w/ citrus or orange Want More Energy.  Best tasting shake I've ever had.  36g of undenatured New Zealand whey, full macro and micro nutrient profile.  I get better results when I have a meal after workout, and a protein only (IsaPRO) right before bed.  This stuff has a ridiculous LIV bcaa profile.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#28]
After reading this thread tried a few things. I think I've finally found something I can actually enjoy.

1 cup egg white
1 cup milk
2tsp of chocolate

Boom 50 grams of protein in a delicious chocolate milk drink. Chocolate protein powder would probably be better then the chocolate but meh, I can't stand the taste of protein powder.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Shake: 1 serving Whey, 1/2 serving Casein, 5g creatine

1 cup Trader Joe's plain full fat yogurt w/ 1 serving of almonds, 2 tbsp. almond butter, 1 tbsp. flax meal, 1/2 mixed berries
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Read Isreatals stuff.

Don't go by what people who do juice and insulin have post workout... it's not the same as non juicers.

View Quote

Which articles or interviews? All the papers I've found that he co-authored seem to either be about vertical leap or "tonic vibration." The interviews I've found, he mainly seems to talk a lot about pre-workout nutrition, and I'm in agreement with him there.

The particular thing I'm calling bullshit is the idea that you need to pound 100g of designer protein and various other supplements as soon as you put the weight down on the last set, or face zero returns on your effort. I see guys in the gym all the time with the shaker cups full of powder next to their bags. I'm convinced this idea (or at least its having been taken to this extreme) is just a bit too convenient for the supplement companies.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Which articles or interviews? All the papers I've found that he co-authored seem to either be about vertical leap or "tonic vibration." The interviews I've found, he mainly seems to talk a lot about pre-workout nutrition, and I'm in agreement with him there.

The particular thing I'm calling bullshit is the idea that you need to pound 100g of designer protein and various other supplements as soon as you put the weight down on the last set, or face zero returns on your effort. I see guys in the gym all the time with the shaker cups full of powder next to their bags. I'm convinced this idea (or at least its having been taken to this extreme) is just a bit too convenient for the supplement companies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Read Isreatals stuff.

You'd be correct. The "30 minute anabolic window" is pure bro science that has been proven wrong.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I honestly can't speak much to the "anabolic window" but per John Kiefer, and the research he used to come up with his carb backloading protocol resistance training decouples fat cells ability to utilize insulin/glucose and only muscles will use it for growth.

He recommends training in the evening, and consuming high glycemic carbs in your post workout shake.  Then about 2 hours later consuming more high glycemic carbs prior to bed.  The amount depends on goals in this case.  Fat loss vs bulking.  During the day carbs are kept below 30 grams.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#33]
1.5 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard
2-3 servings Tang/Kool-aid/Powerade/Gatorade

Vanilla whey is easily complimented by many flavors.  Vanilla + Tang tastes like an orange creamsicle.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szzo5Uy5aQU

Watch his lectures

Read his Q/A's

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2013/12/nutrient-timing-q-with-dr-israetel.html

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2014/05/q-with-dr-israetel-of-renaissance.html

http://mountaindogdiet.com/media/interviews/interview-with-mike-israetel-ms-phd/
Nutrient timing is important and supported by literature; but we're talking hours (3-8 depending on the studies)...  Not minutes like many think...   Though Calories and macros are more important in the grand scheme of things.

Israetel is damn spot on with most stuff... I've begun to refer most people to him for nutrition issues because of the fact that his has synthesized significant information on the issue. Saves me a lot of time than explaining it myself.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I eat a can or two of sardines, just open the can, salt and pepper and chow down.  A little bones  and skin for the calcium.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I put a really lot of miles in on the bike. When I get home I put two scoops of Hammer Recoverite in some water. Then after I shower it's usually a big bowl of pasta with a protein bar, Met-rx or Cliff.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#37]
I eat a cup of brown rice, 10 turkey meatballs, a cup of broc, and a scoop of whey usually.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm lucky in that my wife stays at home with the kiddos and we lift int he garage. Dinner is made, I come home, we lift and walk right in to a plate full of meat and vegetables (Paleo 4+years now).

We usually incorporate white potatoes, fried or mashed on lifting days for recovery.

EDIT: According to Dr. Ishnansisinank I'm doing about what he recommends. We peak carbs after dinner and then keep relatively low or vegetable based after that until next post workout. Only thing I'm not doing is taking protein supplements and I'm not really interested in those, even at the expense of "optimum Muscle growth."
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Protein shake and a bowl of cornflakes.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:00:31 AM EDT
[#40]
30-50 sweet tarts for the dextrose. Fruit punch Gatorade with one scoop of Aftershock (berry flavored). If I'm in the area I'll get a steak bowl from chipotle or I choke down a double serving of protein shake.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Water
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#42]
2 scopes ON: gold standard whey in 12oz of water
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 3:57:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Scoop and a half of cheap WPC, 250-300mL of milk, a scoop of fine ground/powdered oats and a spoon of creatine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top