Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2014 10:02:45 PM EDT
I'm a big believer in dips (bodyweight or weighted). In my mind, dips are to the bench press as chins are to the barbell row. You could make a strong case for either one being the superior movement for their respective muscle groups, so it is wise to do both.

What puzzles me is that I don't read much about dips, nor do I see them done in the gym very often. When they are mentioned by trainers, they're listed as accessory work. In my own experience, they're great triceps and pec mass builders, and when I focused heavily on them, I developed strength that transferred very well to presses and bench presses. I'll even go so far as to say that if I had to give up either weighted dips or benching for the rest of my life, benching would get the axe.

Long story short, it's bullshit that this movement is so oft-neglected. Anyone else agree, or am I just that guy who has to go against conventional wisdom?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]

I do them all the time and find the "burn" or workout to be much more satisfying than some other tricep work. Not to mention I feel it causes less stress on my joints than other tricep exercises. I'm also shocked when there are people who can bench 300 lbs., but can't do 50 push ups. I'm starting to balance my work between lifting weights and lifting MY weight (in all areas).
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm a big believer in dips (bodyweight or weighted). In my mind, dips are to the bench press as chins are to the barbell row. You could make a strong case for either one being the superior movement for their respective muscle groups, so it is wise to do both.

What puzzles me is that I don't read much about dips, nor do I see them done in the gym very often. When they are mentioned by trainers, they're listed as accessory work. In my own experience, they're great triceps and pec mass builders, and when I focused heavily on them, I developed strength that transferred very well to presses and bench presses. I'll even go so far as to say that if I had to give up either weighted dips or benching for the rest of my life, benching would get the axe.

Long story short, it's bullshit that this movement is so oft-neglected. Anyone else agree, or am I just that guy who has to go against conventional wisdom?
View Quote

i agree. there are so many variations that you'll never get too good at them. bars too easy? grab a dumbell with your feet or try the rings. rings too easy? try holding yourself flat like a pushup, or Lsit, or whatever. and so on.

you could do a killer workout with only dips and deads. and that is exactly what i'm doing today.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I do them off and on as an accessory workout after squats and overhead presses.  I do bodyweight with 4 sets of 5-8 dips.  

I don't know how many reps per set are considered "strong" at doing dips.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I do weighted dips all the time.  Head down low for emphasis on the pecs, and head up high for triceps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I do them all the time and find the "burn" or workout to be much more satisfying than some other tricep work. Not to mention I feel it causes less stress on my joints than other tricep exercises. I'm also shocked when there are people who can bench 300 lbs., but can't do 50 push ups. I'm starting to balance my work between lifting weights and lifting MY weight (in all areas).
View Quote

Many people that can do 50 pushups cant bench 200 pounds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can do both. No big deal.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm also shocked when there are people who can bench 300 lbs., but can't do 50 push ups.
View Quote

I can bench 400 lbs but can't do 50 pushups in a row, but I don't care.  I have no desire to do 50 pushups but I do have a desire to get a 450lb bench at a BW of under 250.  Just depends on what your goals are.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never been much of a bench presser.  My max bench in my younger days was only 365, at a BW of 230.  At that same general time I competed in a citywide fitness competition, and did 72 BW dips in 60 seconds.

Its odd how different people with different goals can have disparate abilities.  I always struggled to increase my bench, but never had a problem with high reps of weighted dips.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have never been much of a bench presser.  My max bench in my younger days was only 365, at a BW of 230.  At that same general time I competed in a citywide fitness competition, and did 72 BW dips in 60 seconds.

Its odd how different people with different goals can have disparate abilities.  I always struggled to increase my bench, but never had a problem with high reps of weighted dips.
View Quote

I image if I trained for reps on pushup or dips for a couple of months I could get to 50 rather quickly but like I said I have no desire to do 50 pushups so I never train them for reps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Are chair dips okay?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to quit dips a few years back, though I loved them.  Really screwed up my shoulder, reaching for my wallet and similar moves were very painful.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are chair dips okay?
View Quote

Everything is OK, just realize that you are doing about half the weight of a regular dip, if that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are chair dips okay?
View Quote

Depends on how you do "chair" dips. If you have your hands behind you and your feet in front of you on another chair that is very hard on the shoulders. If you use the high back of the chair then you are fine. My dips are done on two pipes laid across my power rack.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Everything is OK, just realize that you are doing about half the weight of a regular dip, if that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are chair dips okay?

If you want a cheap dip rack get a walker for an elderly person. Mines rated at 300 lb capacity and cost me 30 bucks shipped from amazon
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Depends on how you do "chair" dips. If you have your hands behind you and your feet in front of you on another chair that is very hard on the shoulders. If you use the high back of the chair then you are fine. My dips are done on two pipes laid across my power rack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are chair dips okay?

pipes?... i always used my barbells...  hmmn, might be faster to setup that way...   How do you keep them from rolling?...

Sorry for the pseudo-hijack
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 11:50:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

pipes?... i always used my barbells...  hmmn, might be faster to setup that way...   How do you keep them from rolling?...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are chair dips okay?

It is actually two pieces of top rail off the top of chainlink fence, two pieces of conduit, 4 bolts and some tennis racket tape.  Works very well and is very light.
</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm 155lbs and my bench is a measly 210lbs; but I can do 90 push-ups. The most dips I've ever done was 40; but my shoulder doesn't like high rep dips so I never really do them anymore.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm 155lbs and my bench is a measly 210lbs; but I can do 90 push-ups. The most dips I've ever done was 40; but my shoulder doesn't like high rep dips so I never really do them anymore.
View Quote

Thats actually pretty good.  

My Wednesday workout includes 6 sets of pullups immediately supersetted with dips.

IMO a guy who can BP his bodyweight at least 10 reps, can do 15+ pullups, and 20+ dips is in solid shape upper body-wise.

Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you want a cheap dip rack get a walker for an elderly person. Mines rated at 300 lb capacity and cost me 30 bucks shipped from amazon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are chair dips okay?

Link?
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are chair dips okay?

Link?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OEB5AC/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Price has gone up a bit and sorry I made a mistake- rated at 250lbs but you can buy one at 300 if you wish. Just look on Amazon or where ever you shop on line
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Relevant picture, Ross Enamait

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I recommend dips to all my buddies that are new to working out. They definitely helped boost my bench.

My PR for weighted dips is 135x6
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#23]
form suggestions for peck targeting?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lean forward. Wider bars if possible. Gironda developed a style that he felt was the best chest building movement, but I think it's hell on the shoulders for many people.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lean forward. Wider bars if possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How widely spaced should the bars be? I've been doing self-assisted dips (5x15) for a couple of months, but haven't felt any "burn" in my pecs, nor has there been any discernible improvement in their mass or definition. Seems to have benefited my triceps, though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How widely spaced should the bars be? I've been doing self-assisted dips (5x15) for a couple of months, but haven't felt any "burn" in my pecs, nor has there been any discernible improvement in their mass or definition. Seems to have benefited my triceps, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to put a number on it, as it's going to vary based on your body size. For narrower dips, I like bars that are about the distance between the hands when one is standing and letting his arms naturally hang at his sides. For the wider dips, I wouldn't go any wider than the grip you'd use for a standard bench press (even that may be a bit wide depending on how you bench). You really just have to pay attention to your body- joint pain in the shoulder probably means you're going too wide. If your shoulders can tolerate going super wide, do them Gironda-style if you want. Having said that, I think the angle of your torso is more important than the bar width in terms of focusing more on pecs or triceps.

Watch This

T-Nation has a whole lot of bro science and product placement for designer crap supplements, but there are a few authors on there who are really worth listening to. Christian Thibaudeau is one of them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:22:50 AM EDT
[#27]
There are better exercises with less risk to isolate the chest...  

Use dips as a movement, less as a "muscle" exercise.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hard to put a number on it, as it's going to vary based on your body size. For narrower dips, I like bars that are about the distance between the hands when one is standing and letting his arms naturally hang at his sides. For the wider dips, I wouldn't go any wider than the grip you'd use for a standard bench press... ...I think the angle of your torso is more important than the bar width in terms of focusing more on pecs or triceps.

Watch This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to put a number on it, as it's going to vary based on your body size. For narrower dips, I like bars that are about the distance between the hands when one is standing and letting his arms naturally hang at his sides. For the wider dips, I wouldn't go any wider than the grip you'd use for a standard bench press... ...I think the angle of your torso is more important than the bar width in terms of focusing more on pecs or triceps.

Watch This

Thanks for the info. My parallel bars are spaced roughly 4 inches wider than the outside of my hands when the arms hang naturally at my sides.

As best I can tell, I've been doing dips as shown from 2:05-2:45 in the video, except my feet are a little farther forward and resting on the floor.

Perhaps I should ask if "burn" and/or "pump" in the pecs should reasonably be expected from doing chest dips?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Dips are essential to me.  Just one of those exercises that always worked and I never plateau on.  I do it as a chest exercise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Ring Dips FTW...
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

200 or 300. Now, I'm lost.

I got the 50 push ups AND bench 200. Not a chance I'm benching 300.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:27:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I can bench 400 lbs but can't do 50 pushups in a row, but I don't care.  I have no desire to do 50 pushups but I do have a desire to get a 450lb bench at a BW of under 250.  Just depends on what your goals are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm also shocked when there are people who can bench 300 lbs., but can't do 50 push ups.

Makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top