Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure to check food labels for artificial sweeteners and corn/food starches. The Atkins shakes and bars throw me out of ketosis, as well as the corn starch in most sour creams.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Is coffee ok the 1st week or two?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Creamer and artificial sweeteners are bad. Coffee itself is fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

black or with heavy cream (not half and half, heavy cream, real cream, not the fake powder shit) is great

lots of people put coconut oil in theirs too instead of cream.

tea is fine too  
no sugar or honey though, just tea.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's hear some more!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never, ever, had a headache so bad or last so long as I have right now. Keto diet better be everything it's claimed to be if it this is what it takes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have never, ever, had a headache so bad or last so long as I have right now. Keto diet better be everything it's claimed to be if it this is what it takes.
View Quote

take a cube of bouillon (chicken or veggie works the best), nuke some water in a coffee cup til it's hot, stir the cube of bouillon around til it's all dissolved.  

drink it.  (will taste like weak chicken soup)

you'll feel dramatically better within 20 minutes

I guarantee it
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The benefits highly outweigh the trouble you go through to clean your system out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Headache is mostly gone. I got some of the ketone test strips and they are turning slightly pink. I guess if I have any ketones in my piss then I must be in ketosis? Odd thing is my appetite is gone. I feel like I could eat if I wanted to but I am not hungry when I have only snacked on meat a couple times today. I should be starving.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Headache is mostly gone. I got some of the ketone test strips and they are turning slightly pink. I guess if I have any ketones in my piss then I must be in ketosis? Odd thing is my appetite is gone. I feel like I could eat if I wanted to but I am not hungry when I have only snacked on meat a couple times today. I should be starving.
View Quote

funny huh?

you weighing in every day?   How much are you down??

You'll find it comes back some, but nothing like it was pre-Keto.

It's pretty easy to lose weight when you aren't hungry.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I made this bacon and sausage sandwich.

I ate half of it. I will probably not have to eat again today and if I do it will just be a snack. I am liking this. Maybe next time I will use the sausage as a pizza crust and just lay some cheese and pepperoni on it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/ermzwp.jpg

I ate half of it. I will probably not have to eat again today and if I do it will just be a snack. I am liking this. Maybe next time I will use the sausage as a pizza crust and just lay some cheese and pepperoni on it.
View Quote

Google "meatza".
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Google "meatza".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google "meatza".

Second attempt successful. I made the first one following a recipe with ground beef and did not like it. Using jimmy dean sausage instead made it amazing.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the thing that most people don't understand about this diet.  The calories in = calories out crowd has a point, but if you're eating carbs and riding the blood-sugar roller coaster, you're hungry all the time.  

If I eat eggs and bacon for breakfast I'm not hungry until mid afternoon.  I may be eating a lot of calorie dense foods, but I'm probably eating fewer calories total.  Added benefit is that my body is able to use stored fat to make up for the deficit, hence the weight loss.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Second attempt successful. I made the first one following a recipe with ground beef and did not like it. Using jimmy dean sausage instead made it amazing.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2r3jrbt.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google "meatza".

http://i60.tinypic.com/2r3jrbt.jpg

I need this recipe!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Alright, this thread is awesome. This is something I have wanted to do for a while, i really need to lose some weight. I will be trying out these recipes, matter of fact, I have a tin of the breakfast muffins cooking in the oven right now. I sauteed some spinach and mushrooms in bacon grease instead of broccoli though. They smell fantastic.

Consider this my start of this diet. I am looking forward to this.  Right now I weigh around 290lbs. I would like to get to around 205 eventually. We'll see how this goes!

Edit: these turned out great.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Be sure to check food labels for artificial sweeteners and corn/food starches. The Atkins shakes and bars throw me out of ketosis, as well as the corn starch in most sour creams.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Does full fat sour cream have corn starch?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Most won't, but if you buy some off the wall stuff, it could.  You're good with Daisy which is probably the most popular brand.

Ingredients: Grade A cultured cream, skim milk, vitamin A palmitate
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a couple of water bottles from camelbak, and they sent me a free package of these drink mixes.

They have no sugars and no carbs, they are sweetened with stevia. Plus, it's got what plants crave.

Here is the label

Is there anything there that would not work? I'm still sort of new to this diet. It's a nice little break from all the water.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought a couple of water bottles from camelbak, and they sent me a free package of these drink mixes. http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/Pdepippo/Mobile%20Uploads/ED86C42C-8415-4D0A-94B3-A38ECE594AB8_zpsjpby8bxo.jpg

They have no sugars and no carbs, they are sweetened with stevia. Plus, it's got what plants crave.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/PaASv1jkDCiHCcAI557g-vM1Q_u7hgu3Q8-lDUZ-RsWvLqwz2AWWErwkgGbLe4i6z-vS_8v37M7JMVkOOKaMEEEgspCx0CLgEA8nQ1rvwqydEwtDnvsz7AE5T067iZjHwgyeRb9eRnSTGbG0IetcsBTAQpQL2fmbUtfiNIDl_0GEXExjNw=w500-h270-nc

Here is the label
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac247/Pdepippo/Mobile%20Uploads/FF5FCD58-3A63-449F-8699-210DCC61D696_zpsbswyakri.jpg

Is there anything there that would not work? I'm still sort of new to this diet. It's a nice little break from all the water.
View Quote

I don't understand how they add fruit juice without adding sugar?  Other than that it looks good to go for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I'm back on the wagon.

My wife and I started doing low carb off and on starting about 15 years ago. We would work to lose some weight before the summer and gain it back by the end of the year.

I had two neck surgeries in 2001 and gained more weight. My ideal weight would be about 155 and by 2003 I was near 200. Got serious on Atkins and lost about 45 pounds and kept most it off for a long time.

I was more or less staying on a maintenance version of low carb all that time.

I had shoulder surgery in 2012 and during 2013 my wife had three back surgeries. I totally fell off the wagon and now I'm back up to 180.

I've been reading this thread and other sources on the internet trying to get back up to speed. I'm trying to remember a lot of the things I did when losing weight and catching up on new ideas.

I officially started after lunch on this past Thursday. I'm hoping to get "locked in" again. I did this for a long time so hopefully I won't be too hard.

Thanks for all the info/ideas/links in this tread. It's helping a lot.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, I'm back on the wagon.

My wife and I started doing low carb off and on starting about 15 years ago. We would work to lose some weight before the summer and gain it back by the end of the year.

I had two neck surgeries in 2001 and gained more weight. My ideal weight would be about 155 and by 2003 I was near 200. Got serious on Atkins and lost about 45 pounds and kept most it off for a long time.

I was more or less staying on a maintenance version of low carb all that time.

I had shoulder surgery in 2012 and during 2013 my wife had three back surgeries. I totally fell off the wagon and now I'm back up to 180.

I've been reading this thread and other sources on the internet trying to get back up to speed. I'm trying to remember a lot of the things I did when losing weight and catching up on new ideas.

I officially started after lunch on this past Thursday. I'm hoping to get "locked in" again. I did this for a long time so hopefully I won't be too hard.

Thanks for all the info/ideas/links in this tread. It's helping a lot.

View Quote

The last time I did this diet was during roughly the same time period.  The biggest thing I have found is all the new delicious recipes people have come up with to break the monotony of eating just meat, eggs, and cheese daily.  I am no doing a great job of staying on a strict diet but lost 17lbs now and have managed to keep that off even while doing quite a bit of cheat meals especially during my daughters wedding in Key Largo last week.  Lot's of food and beer that week
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:20:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm just finishing up my second day. Made it in under 20 grams of carbs both days. Net 18 and 19 grams.

The one thing I am going to have a hard time giving up is my "night cap".

I wonder just how much my 1.5 oz of bourbon is setting me back? That's half normal. Maybe after a while I can wean myself off it. Going to be tough.

I'm trying to stick with the boring stuff as long as I can so the good recipes will be there later when I really need something good.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Starting Keto on Monday.  Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Had a leg cramp last night. I never get cramps so I guess my electrolytes are off.

I have been drinking broth a couple times a day and it obviously isn't working.

I've also been upping my salt intake and using Morton lite salt that has more potassium.

Off to the drug store this morning to get some multivitamins and or magnesium / potassium supplements.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Half way through day 3 and my only symptom is the dreaded "d word".
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Usually,  the opposite is the problem.  It's nothing to go every 5 or 6 days.  2 to 3 is normal for me. Especially if I only hunger eat. As opposed to eating to stay awake or because I like certain foods.  I ate something like 24 deviled egg halves yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Celery sticks with cream cheese mixed with Gorgonzola cheese.
Dessert: Sugar free Jello with lots of heavy cream on top.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Onion soup mix blended into the cream cheese is great too.

As I type this, I've just dumped 6 Oz of grilled chicken breasts into a skillet of almost done shrimp scampi. It'll go into a lettuce wrap with a bit of cheese and some onions. Win.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Any of you guys familiar with "bulletproof" coffee?

I'm not going to pay for the fancy stuff, but I tried it with butter and coconut oil today, wasn't bad.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As I type this, I've just dumped 6 Oz of grilled chicken breastfeeding into a skillet of almost done shrimp scampi. It'll go into a lettuce wrap with a bit of cheese and some onions. Win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I type this, I've just dumped 6 Oz of grilled chicken breastfeeding into a skillet of almost done shrimp scampi. It'll go into a lettuce wrap with a bit of cheese and some onions. Win.

I don't know which is worse....that your phone got confused or that you type breastfeeding so much that your phone just thinks you're talking about breastfeeding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I am not going off diet, I poop once a day typically. Otherwise, I'll have one massive poop every 3-5 days.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't know which is worse....that your phone got confused or that you type breastfeeding so much that your phone just thinks you're talking about breastfeeding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't judge.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm not going to pay for the fancy stuff, but I tried it with butter and coconut oil today, wasn't bad.
View Quote

Don't buy into their magic bean hype. Just use good freshly ground coffee. I don't like the Hawaiian tropic taste in my coffee so I take coconut oil gel caps and just have coffee and grass fed butter (Kerry Gold).
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

When I am not going off diet, I poop once a day typically. Otherwise, I'll have one massive poop every 3-5 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Massive every few days.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hate coffee, but I actually dig the coconut oil.  I have no problem eating it plain.  I'll probably just eat two tablespoons instead of making the actual beverage.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I hate coffee, but I actually dig the coconut oil.  I have no problem eating it plain.  I'll probably just eat two tablespoons instead of making the actual beverage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like coconut oil too, but I need my caffeine.  It really was quite good, and I'm not a huge coffee fan.  

My wife was about to make some coffee for herself, so I volunteered to make my new recipe for her.  I didn't let her see what was in it until afterwards.

She liked it, and absolutely would not have tried it if she knew what was in it first.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:28:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

As I type this, I've just dumped 6 Oz of grilled chicken breasts into a skillet of almost done shrimp scampi. It'll go into a lettuce wrap with a bit of cheese and some onions. Win.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

be careful, a lot of that onion soup mix is carby.

also, what's with the chicken breasts?  Do up a steak, pour the shrimp scampi over it, surf and turf floating in garlic oil
yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm starting my seventh day today. Had really bad headaches during the night last two nights. Felt like sinus headaches but I wonder if it could be due to still adjusting to the diet change

I had been drinking the broth but started taking potassium and magnesium supplements instead. I am going to add the broth back in today and take the supplements late in the evening to see if that helps.

I did get some ketostix and they have been strongly positive.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#40]
What's the fattiest cut of steak?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What's the fattiest cut of steak?
View Quote

Probably Ribeye, I just bought 6 for this weekends camping trip and a bunch they had out were more fat than meat
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Oscar Mayer Bacon Dogs:
Fat 12g
Protein 6g
Carbs <1g
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#44]
You guys have any camping suggestions (backpacking)?  

I'll be using a jetboil.  I'll have jerky, almonds, etc, but a hot meal is always a treat.  

Any mountain house type stuff worth checking out?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Well I started in earnest today.

Sunday/Yesterday was a 24 hour fast, broken with some brats, cheese, and leafy greens. Used this guy, gonna try for right at 2500kcal/day, hoping this won't diminish any of my strength gains. :-/

Keeping a food log for the first time. Nothing fancy, just writing "what did you eat" throughout the day.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Today begins week three.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Day 26:  Have moved two notches on my belt and one notch on my watch band.  I'm not even counting calories.  I've also decided I prefer Jimmy Dean Sausage crust over hamburger crust for my meatzas.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Day 26:  Have moved two notches on my belt and one notch on my watch band.  I'm not even counting calories.  I've also decided I prefer Jimmy Dean Sausage crust over hamburger crust for my meatzas.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And still drinking plenty of vodka almost every night.
Eta:  Zero exercise.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top