Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then, today...a 225 pound front squat!  
View Quote

That was a little more than a month ago. Today, I re-tested my front squat after a month of Wendler...255, a 13% increase.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
very nice job.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Maxed the deadlift today: 285. :) Went for 295, felt some hinkyness in my lower back and just dropped it, no sense in hurting myself.
View Quote
Maxed my deadlift again today.

Four Hundred And Five Frickin' Pounds!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maxed the deadlift today: 285. :) Went for 295, felt some hinkyness in my lower back and just dropped it, no sense in hurting myself.

Baddass buddy. Looking at 5 plates soon
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's what a 100+ pound PR looks like:

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
So we've been doing snatch practice every tuesday, and apparently my coaches are out to kill my shoulders because it's been all pullups and pushups and burpees since monday. (nevermind holding an overhead squat for what seems like FOREVER)

IN light of that, my shoulders felt like marshmallows today. Weak and fluffy. I decided (after my workout) that this was the perfect time to re-try that 205 clean that I've been missing, since I A: have been practicing dropping under the bar for my snatches and B: couldn't try to cheat with my arms, they had nothing to offer me. It was gonna be all hipdrive and drop or I was gonna miss the lift.

BAM! Warmed up to a 195, got a nice squat clean on that (which is the heaviest bar I've "caught") and went 205. Caught that like it was nothing, stood there in the rack for a minute and tried to jerk it. Got it up, but hadn't really thought through if I was gonna push or split and my brain tried to just lock out upright, unsuccessfully. That's ok though, I'll get it.

Goal 1: 305 Deadlift - DESTROYED with my 405lb monster holy-shit-am-I-actually-doing-this deadlift.

Goal 2: 205 Clean and Jerk - Halfway there. (Probably more than half, with some fresh shoulders)

Goal 3: 5 pullups in a row - I've got 2.

Plenty of time to get the rest of the way, I should be able to meet these goals and set new ones for the end of the year.

I've also taken to hitting the gym at lunchtime and having a protein shake for lunch afterwards. This has been easier on my wallet for sure, we'll see if it pays any dividends on my waistline. Hopefully it'll add a little extra for muscle gain, but we'll see.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#9]
PR'd my clean today, again by accident. 215. i wish I'd recorded it, it felt BEAUTIFUL. Good load up, nice explosive second pull, and a super fast drop underneath the bar. I nearly panicked at the bottom when I couldn't feel the bar, but then it settled gently at my neck and shoulders. A textbook catch. Felt FANTASTIC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PR'd my clean today, again by accident. 215. i wish I'd recorded it, it felt BEAUTIFUL. Good load up, nice explosive second pull, and a super fast drop underneath the bar. I nearly panicked at the bottom when I couldn't feel the bar, but then it settled gently at my neck and shoulders. A textbook catch. Felt FANTASTIC.
View Quote

Oh great I totally missed your thread.  Looking good. No homo.

How's your chugging skills.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am just going to pray to the Cola Gods that they will show me mercy, and take my mountain dew (and my vomit) like a man.

Honestly, I'm most worried about my shooting. I *just* zeroed the SR15, firing the first six rounds since I bought the thing...months ago.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't you just slam in a drum and walk your rounds to target?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Definitely gonna be aiming low for the first couple to confirm my 200m zero.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Definitely gonna be aiming low for the first couple to confirm my 200m zero.
View Quote

About to go the range to check mine and some reloads.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hey guys, remember when I cleaned 215?

Did a clean and jerk at 215 today, crushing my PR by 30 pounds and my goal by 10.

Oh, and I placed 8th at Cola Warrior East:

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Maxed the ole back squat today. Only a 20 pound PR, 315 pounds. I could have done better, but the workout had burpees and jump rope, and my legs were kind of toast going in. But I like to PR stuff during open gym times, so that's what I did.

I failed pushing 365, but I think if I'd been fresh I'd have had it. It didnt' feel *that* heavy, but I had no energy, my legs just wouldn't do what I told them.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I drank some of that powder you gave me at CW. It didn't mix well with just water. But it sure as hell tasted better than cherry vanilla carnivore.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I drank some of that powder you gave me at CW. It didn't mix well with just water. But it sure as hell tasted better than cherry vanilla carnivore.

Thanks.
View Quote
Glad you liked it. For the money, protein content, and taste I don't think it can be beat.

But yeah, with milk it is FUCKING DELICIOUS. Never bothered with water, sorry. :-/
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Glad you liked it. For the money, protein content, and taste I don't think it can be beat.  

But yeah, with milk it is FUCKING DELICIOUS. Never bothered with water, sorry. :-/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

It has a weird coffee aftertaste.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

Pretty sure I told you about that. But I wouldn't call it weird, just...there.

Link Posted: 11/12/2013 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

You did. I just found it weird.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Nearly got a 295 front squat today.

So on 4September I failed front squatting 265. Got 255, but my core gave out on the way up with 265.

So today, naturally, I warmed up with 3x 265, did 275, 285, and had someone spot me for 295.

"Tell me when I break," I said, so that I know when to go up. Otherwise I have a "bad" habit of pausing in the hole and I knew if I did that I wasn't getting up with 295.

Down, no sweat, "UP!" I hear, and I rise. "No, sorry, too early, right at parallel." fine, I'll do it again.

Down, no sweat, "UP!" I hear, and I rise. "Bummer dude, you were riiiiight there. But if this were the olympics, I'd no-rep you."

DAMMIT THEN WHY DID YOU TELL ME TO COME UP.

So "officially", only a 30 pound PR in 2 months. :(
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#23]
After a 205 power clean escaped me for like 2 months, I got a 225 power clean today. A little ugly, it needs work, but I got it up.

Should have jerked it while I had it racked but whatever. Maybe later this week.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#24]
So I've had a cold. mostly just upper respiratory but it's really put a damper on my work out.

Today I did 4x 205 Clean and Jerks, I'll have some video for you guys to critique. But just a friendly reminder:

It's wintertime, remember to moisturize:

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#25]

3 Clean and Jerks at "90%" of my 1RM (215*.9=193, these are 205)

Notes:

I'm in such a hurry to squat that I break my arms early and abort the second pull as soon as the bar is high enough to catch.

My split jerks could go wider (but that's probably more a consequence of not enough weight on the bar)

My first pull looks decent, actually. Butt and bar appear to move together.

Gotta stop locking my legs when setting up for my jerk.

Don't try and lift heavy when you're sick. Your form goes to shit.

Any other sage advice?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

After a 205 power clean escaped me for like 2 months, I got a 225 power clean today. A little ugly, it needs work, but I got it up.

View Quote

Should have jerked it while I had it racked but whatever. Maybe later this week.
So today I did 235, 5% in 30 days ain't bad. Failed at 245, but the bar was high enough, I was just too slow to get under it. I only got two attempts at it before I ran out of time though, so I'll get it. The 225 looked way better than the ugly one I had in December.
Also, on 21NOV I 'almost' got a 295 front squat, right at the end of the year I nailed a 315. Go me.

We're starting a new Wendler cycle at my gym, so we'll be finding 1RM's this week, then a four week cycle, then I am "competing" in the Superfit in Richmond. Also against my better judgement I'm doing the advocare 24 day challenge, mostly because Mrs. Therex wanted to do it and didn't want to do it alone. This did however give me an opportunity to get all my "measurements" which I will record here and compare in 30 days:
02JAN2014:

Specs:

Height: 5' 11"

Right Arm: 36cm

Chest: 115cm

Waist: 106cm

Hips: 102cm

Right thigh: 66cm

Weight: 237.2

BF%: 22.8% (as measured by impedance via feet)

(I realize the BF% is likely not accurate but using the same machine in the same way should give me a good comparison over time)

1RM's:

Snatch: 155

Clean: 235

Front Squat: 315

Back Squat: 335

Deadlift: 405

Strict Press: 155

Jerk: 215

I know I don't participate a ton in this forum, but trust me, I read a shitload. Any advice is welcome.

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Cranked out last year's Open 12.1 on Tuesday. Cranked out 97 burpees in 7 minutes, which is something Fat Rex couldn't have done in any amount of time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cranked out last year's Open 12.1 on Tuesday. Cranked out 97 burpees in 7 minutes, which is something Fat Rex couldn't have done in any amount of time.
View Quote

Doing good.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey. So.

Got a 225 clean and jerk the other day. Pretty awesome. Then loaded up 235 and damnnear knocked myself out hitting my chin with the bar.

Protip: don't do that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hey. So.

View Quote

Got a 225 clean and jerk the other day. Pretty awesome. Then loaded up 235 and damnnear knocked myself out hitting my chin with the bar.

Protip: don't do that.
Welp, did a 3x 205 push press and 1 225 push press today. No jerk.

This means either I got swole as fuck in 2 weeks or my split jerk sucks balls....
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#32]
245 hang clean today. Didn't even need to squat to get it, really pleased with that.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:20:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Can we embed FB videos?

let's see. Here is my ugly fuckin' 365 1RM. Gotta remember to keep those tits up on the way up, instead of letting my stripper booty show:

guess not. :(

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That was so bad I sent you a friend request.

I need to figure out some of the Oly movements at some point.
View Quote
lol! I need to figure them out also! :-p

I'm blessed to have a crossfit gym with a great coaching staff who actually gives a shit about their members.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyway, I just gotta get my shit together so I can beat KaiK at CW4. Nothing else matters right now. He can outrun me, out conex me, and he already knows the course.

Always good to have a rabbit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyway, I just gotta get my shit together so I can beat KaiK at CW4. Nothing else matters right now. He can outrun me, out conex me, and he already knows the course.

Always good to have a rabbit.
View Quote

You're screwed, I can also out shoot you.

Good thing RustedAce hates squats.

I may not be able to out conex you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
We shall see. I might have my SR actually zeroed this time. CWE I zeroed it in the hotel room with math and spitballing.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We shall see. I might have my SR actually zeroed this time. CWE I zeroed it in the hotel room with math and spitballing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that doesn't work.

I know there are going to be a lot of penalties imposed.

I am going all or nothing on the chug so you may beat me. But as Ricky Bobby's dad said "if you're not first you're last".

And I really need to stop doing things on rest day. I tried to conex the dumpster at my job  site now my arm is on fire and I have a hole in my finger.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

245 hang clean today. Didn't even need to squat to get it, really pleased with that.

View Quote

6 days later, I add a squat...

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:31:30 AM EDT
[#41]
50 bucks for an old Model C? Sssssssold...

Also picked up a pair of bars, a pair of kettlebells and a countdown clock. Next weekend I'll get some fun money, I think I'll spend that on 140 pounds of bumpers and some horse stall mats.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
50 bucks for an old Model C? Sssssssold...https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-94xuIPmkbf8/U1PJ1TdKZMI/AAAAAAAAF4U/jKaQtuVqfHQ/w1118-h629-no/20140420_092116.jpg

Also picked up a pair of bars, a pair of kettlebells and a countdown clock. Next weekend I'll get some fun money, I think I'll spend that on 140 pounds of bumpers and some horse stall mats.
View Quote

Only a 145 lbs are you just going to warmup?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

50 bucks for an old Model C? Sssssssold...https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-94xuIPmkbf8/U1PJ1TdKZMI/AAAAAAAAF4U/jKaQtuVqfHQ/w1118-h629-no/20140420_092116.jpg

You suck at math. 140 pounds of bumpers with a 45 lb bar is 185 pounds, and yeah, for the time being it'll be skill work. Overhead squats, snatch, etc.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You suck at math. 140 pounds of bumpers with a 45 lb bar is 185 pounds, and yeah, for the time being it'll be skill work. Overhead squats, snatch, etc.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to get an extra 70 lbs for not that much. Just throw some steel 35s on there with the bumpers. That's what I do on deadlift.

And I would get the 160 lbs bumpers, and some steel off of Craigslist.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If you want to get an extra 70 lbs for not that much. Just throw some steel 35s on there with the bumpers. That's what I do on deadlift.

View Quote
That's the long term plan. Gonna need more than a pair of 35's for deadlifting though... ;)
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's the long term plan. Gonna need more than a pair of 35's for deadlifting though... ;)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have more bumpers than you are getting.

If you get 45s and 35s bumpers you can add a bunch of steel with it. And still be able to drop it as long as you don't put 45 lb plates on.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote

So.

MDUsa was having a sale on Pendlay plates, and I had just enough from two weekends of racing to buy the 210lb set of these bad boys:

mmm. Open the box, smells like gaaaaiiinnnnzzzz. 2 45's, 2 35's, 2 25's. Gonna run to Dick's Sporting Goods and buy a pair of 10's and little 5's today, just to round it all out.

Also been working on my bar.

Looked like this when I got it:

Poor neglected olympic bar. Still working on the bar itself but the ends look like this after a little Mother's polish:

This Saturday I'm judging at the 4-person Team Roanoke Superfit, but maybe Sunday I'll build a lifting platform and then it's on. 205 snatch, I'm coming for you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So.    

MDUsa was having a sale on Pendlay plates, and I had just enough from two weekends of racing to buy the 210lb set of these bad boys:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eyMrqbsrCko/U2fXwrqusZI/AAAAAAAAGBo/eH6aLT8tRzU/w958-h539-no/20140505_142553.jpg

mmm. Open the box, smells like gaaaaiiinnnnzzzz. 2 45's, 2 35's, 2 25's. Gonna run to Dick's Sporting Goods and buy a pair of 10's and little 5's today, just to round it all out.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sQuEqtAqxYQ/U2BAuhsckNI/AAAAAAAAF_Y/VdQEH2dY7-E/w958-h539-no/20140429_201444.jpg

Poor neglected olympic bar. Still working on the bar itself but the ends look like this after a little Mother's polish:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6KaMRsLtOhQ/U2BAxZrN-NI/AAAAAAAAF_k/qqcOHeqstUE/w958-h539-no/20140429_201534.jpg

This Saturday I'm judging at the 4-person Team Roanoke Superfit, but maybe Sunday I'll build a lifting platform and then it's on. 205 snatch, I'm coming for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So.    

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eyMrqbsrCko/U2fXwrqusZI/AAAAAAAAGBo/eH6aLT8tRzU/w958-h539-no/20140505_142553.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sQuEqtAqxYQ/U2BAuhsckNI/AAAAAAAAF_Y/VdQEH2dY7-E/w958-h539-no/20140429_201444.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6KaMRsLtOhQ/U2BAxZrN-NI/AAAAAAAAF_k/qqcOHeqstUE/w958-h539-no/20140429_201534.jpg

GAINS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

GAINS!!!!!!
View Quote
They're so pretty

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Don't worry that wont last long.

They look just like my Rogue ones. Except they don't say Rogue.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top