Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 55
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Wish me luck. Doing my first organized ride later this morning. A buddy loaned me a Felt V85 gravel bike so I'm pumped.

Still trying to decide if I want to do the 25 or 50 mile loop.

I did 25 to go safe since I consistently ride 35-45 on the road on a hybrid. Not sure how that translates to hard pack clay roads however.

I'm feeling good this morning so I might go for 50. A little anxious about going for a distance I've never done at an event but what better motivation than being committed to the full monty eh?
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you have food and hydration.  Do they have stocked rest stops?
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wish me luck. Doing my first organized ride later this morning. A buddy loaned me a Felt V85 gravel bike so I'm pumped.

Still trying to decide if I want to do the 25 or 50 mile loop.

I did 25 to go safe since I consistently ride 35-45 on the road on a hybrid. Not sure how that translates to hard pack clay roads however.

I'm feeling good this morning so I might go for 50. A little anxious about going for a distance I've never done at an event but what better motivation than being committed to the full monty eh?
View Quote

I ride alone alot too..looking forward to some group rides next month to see how i stack up
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have aid stations and I *think* food/gell stations.

Am bringing cliff bars and energy gels for the ride plus two bidons of drinks.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the 50.  You'll regret it if you don't.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's exactly what I am thinking. Would rather go for 50, run out of gas at 46 and suffer across the finish line than motor through 25 and be disappointed I didn't go for it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Updates on the ride???
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Glorious afternoon for a ride. First one in a month.

A little over 21 miles. Nothing spectacular, pretty slow, the greenway was packed...but it felt good to be out riding
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Glorious afternoon for a ride. First one in a month.

A little over 21 miles. Nothing spectacular, pretty slow, the greenway was packed...but it felt good to be out riding
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Updates on the ride???
View Quote

GRAVEL IS THE FUCKING DEVIL.

That's your update.

Went for 50 mile loop and while tired am glad that I did. Ended up being 54.1 total.

Overall the ride was a ton of fun. After a very short blacktop section we were into about 4 miles of insanely deep and loose fresh gravel. I've never ridden gravel. See where this is going? Lots of slipping around and the bike going basically wherever it wanted. It was so frustrating to watch the pack of riders drift into the distance while my bike stubbornly refused to do anything of use. You'd just get stuck in a loose patch and the bike would stop moving, or worse yet veer off into the sunset.

Once we got off that section we had about another mile of road then back to gravel. This was more hardpack with occasionally loose areas and much more manageable. I am very tentative in the descents since I have no experience on the surface and that didn't help but overall I just went at my own pace and kept moving forward. Averaged 11.6mph overall for the entire ride. Top speed 27.3mph so the long hills and loose gravel areas sucked a lot of energy.

The borrowed Felt V85 gravel specific bike rode very well and shifted decently with Shimano 105s. I had too much air at 60PSI. Prob should have been more like 50ish.

Linked up with a new friend and his pal and we stuck together for the last 25ish miles and that was awesome. Being able to follow their lines, the encouragements and generally having a pace was way better than the first half of the ride where I soldiered on in silent suffering. The second half of the ride, with them, was totally fantastic.

Overall had a good time.

Overall, I like the road.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome!!!

I have never ridden on fresh loose gravel.  I have also never ridden any gravel on a skinny tired bike.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Awesome!!!

I have never ridden on fresh loose gravel.  I have also never ridden any gravel on a skinny tired bike.
View Quote

Did 63 miles last August on semi-packed gravel (High Bridge State Park). Hot, hot, hot...with cramping setting in for the last 20 miles. Not fun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on making it through! Going to Colorado in a couple of weeks ..may try a fatbike in the snow
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Awesome!!!

View Quote
We have some awesome dirt and gravel roads here in CA.  It's what got me to switch to 700x25 tires 10 years ago.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
43.4 miles on the Scott Solace 30. My first real ride on it and loved every minute.

I had intended a quick spin and ended up just going and going and going......opps.

Need to make some adjustments but overall it was comfortable.

Max and top speeds went up and I spent the entire ride on the big ring. Usually with the hybrid I'd get tired out if I stayed on the big ring too long.

Side note: road > gravel.

Link Posted: 3/5/2016 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
43.4 miles on the Scott Solace 30. My first real ride on it and loved every minute.

I had intended a quick spin and ended up just going and going and going......opps.

Need to make some adjustments but overall it was comfortable.

Max and top speeds went up and I spent the entire ride on the big ring. Usually with the hybrid I'd get tired out if I stayed on the big ring too long.

Side note: road > gravel.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Oopsie

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I'm not an expert in these matters but the thing done fell off.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 3:18:04 AM EDT
[#19]
That will NOT buff out.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Your derailleur deraill'd too hard.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Damn son, how far did you have to hoof it out?
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Before I could even pull out the phone to call the wife, a fellow cyclist pulled over and offered me a ride back home.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:13:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Before I could even pull out the phone to call the wife, a fellow cyclist pulled over and offered me a ride back home.
View Quote

Lucky devil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lucky devil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lucky devil.

It's about time I had some good luck come my way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Riding in the Roanoke St. Patrick's Day parade this morning:

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Didn't feel well at all this morning and it's rainy so did 8 miles riding around the neighborhood. Will do a real ride tomorrow.

That said, I did drive home a totally new way so I could check out a potential bike route. I think I have full-blown bike sickness now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Didn't feel well at all this morning and it's rainy so did 8 miles riding around the neighborhood. Will do a real ride tomorrow.

That said, I did drive home a totally new way so I could check out a potential bike route. I think I have full-blown bike sickness now.
View Quote

Did you scout out the biggest hills around and picture yourself climbing them?

I friend let me borrow his early 80's road bike while I am waiting on parts and cash to fix mine.

Down tube shifters are hard to use, m'kay?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 12:39:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Cat 3 climb put my dick in the dirt today  The last ten miles felt like I was in a scene from Mad Max.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I just dug my wife's old cannondale m300 out of storage(it's been there ten years) and put some kenda tires and tubes on it. She used to ride it on the boardwalk for fun. I just took it for about a five mile ride wearing jeans and a Tshirt. I intend to keep riding it for fitness on biking trails. I am 6'3" and vary between 200-225# depending on time of year.

Here is where I hope you guys can help.

Do I need special shorts for biking? Do I need a helmet? Do I need special shoes?  Also, the current seat gives me wicked monkey butt. Can you guy recommend a comfortable casual cycling seat?
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just dug my wife's old cannondale m300 out of storage(it's been there ten years) and put some kenda tires and tubes on it. She used to ride it on the boardwalk for fun. I just took it for about a five mile ride wearing jeans and a Tshirt. I intend to keep riding it for fitness on biking trails. I am 6'3" and vary between 200-225# depending on time of year.

Do I need special shorts for biking? Do I need a helmet? Do I need special shoes?  Also, the current seat gives me wicked monkey butt. Can you guy recommend a comfortable casual cycling seat?
View Quote

Bike shorts are nice and will make your ride more comfortable. Helmet? Opinions vary. Personally, I always wear one...why take a chance on smacking your melon if you can protect it very easily with a helmet.

Monkey Butt may not be caused by your seat...moisture and the shorts you're wearing could be the culprit.  I also use Anti-Monkey Butt powder for every ride.

But as far as your seat, Avoid those big memory foam seats...they may actually hurt more than what you have.  I've tried all sorts of seats on my MTN bike and my road bike, and have settled on a Serfas Tail Bones seat.  Your local bike shop can help you out and let you try different seats.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#32]
32.7 Miles on the Scott Solace 30. Focused on working the gears and trying to maintain sustained speed over distance.

Would like to do more group rides and trying to increase speed so I can keep up.

Held 16.8mph/avg for the entire ride which, for me, is pretty good. More importantly, that's a significant improvement over my barely 15mph/avg that I've been stuck at for a long time. I'm probably over thinking it as I know once you are in a group it's way easier to keep the speed up. I just worry about being "that guy" so I'd rather over prepare so I can squeeze in instead of being dead in the first 2 miles and have to grunt out 20 more (or whatever).

Definitely need to get fitted to the bike soon, however. I can barely reach the break levers on the drops, the hoods need to be moved up slightly and my seatpost is a touch low. Probably other things that I don't realize.

Most importantly, I got to spend time in the saddle on a bright, sunny 80F day.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I rode 1000mi last year on block pedals & gym shorts..recently upgraded to a nicer bike with look keo pedals..bike shoes and shorts..much better..get the shorts snd helmet for sure...only get the shoes if you want to put the time in to get used to them
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Its looking like we may be moving to Boise Idaho for a job change.  So freaking exciting, it looks like there is some epic mountain bike riding.  

Time for a new cross country bike....and a downhill bike for Bogus Basin....
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:42:30 AM EDT
[#35]
8 miles yesterday, wicked hill climb.
12 miles today, flat terrain, light wind.

Riding a 29er mtn bike, looking at a road or cyclocross bike.

training for first triathlon in 7 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:42:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Well first ride in 6 months. Been lazy. Went ten miles just a bit over 40 minutes. I did manage to run 2.5 miles in 30 minutes after my ride.

Have a triathlon on 4/24/16.

Guess I better keep riding and running

Oh I guess I should swim some too.

Link Posted: 3/14/2016 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the input, all. I have ordered mountain bike shorts(just can't bring myself to wear skin tight shorts), a helmet, jersey and misc odds and ends. I will stick with normal pedals and wrestling shoes for now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input, all. I have ordered mountain bike shorts(just can't bring myself to wear skin tight shorts), a helmet, jersey and misc odds and ends. I will stick with normal pedals and wrestling shoes for now.
View Quote

Wrestling shoes???

Aren't those pretty soft-soled? If so, they're horrible bike shoes. Cycling shoes are very stiff-soled.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wrestling shoes???

Aren't those pretty soft-soled? If so, they're horrible bike shoes. Cycling shoes are very stiff-soled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrestling shoes???

Agree. The more distance you start adding on a bike, the stiffer you want your shoes to be. This will reduce foot pain and any circulation issues or numbness you may have.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Cycling shoes and pedals will give you your biggest single performance increase. Your average speed will easily go up 10 %.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Turned in my 2 week notice yesterday.  They are letting me work out my notice.

So today, I said screw it, and went for a long mtb ride.

2:38:33
21.53 miles

Roughly 3000 feet of vertical.  I need to get something that calculates that better than cyclemeter.

I am slow, but I can still get my heart rate up.  Max of 186, average of 156 for the ride.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

21.53 miles

Roughly 3000 feet of vertical.  I need to get something that calculates that better than cyclemeter.

I am slow, but I can still get my heart rate up.  Max of 186, average of 156 for the ride.
View Quote

You have something different lined up or just winging it for now? Good luck on the job end.

Sounds like a good ride to me. Beats working, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You have something different lined up or just winging it for now? Good luck on the job end.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

21.53 miles

Already have the new gig lined up.

First day is 3/28.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

First day is 3/28.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

21.53 miles

First day is 3/28.

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Fellow strava users...

Do your flybys still work?

Mine haven't worked in several months.  When I click "flybys" it brings up the map page, but is stuck on "Loading" and never shows my route.  I thought maybe it was a strava software issue, but now I'm starting to think it's a me shitty hardware out-of-date smartphone issue.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Cycling shoes and pedals will give you your biggest single performance increase. Your average speed will easily go up 10 %.
View Quote
Please tell  me more, I am totally  unaware of the benefit.

Are you comparing to flip-flops on  rubber beach bike pedals, or  a  minimalist 6 ounce shoe in  rat traps ?

I  am training for my first Triathlon, a sprint, and have yet time to change pedals, and buy shoes.

Any recommendations ?

Will I actually benefit that greatly in a sprint triathlon, given the additional  transition time from Run to Bike ?

I can slam  running shoes into  rat traps in less than 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
   Are you comparing to flip-flops on  rubber beach bike pedals, or  a  minimalist 6 ounce shoe in  rat traps ?

I  am training for my first Triathlon, a sprint, and have yet time to change pedals, and buy shoes.
Any recommendations ?

Will I actually benefit that greatly in a sprint triathlon, given the additional  transition time from Run to Bike ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any recommendations ?

It's night and day.
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Any recommendations ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any recommendations ?

It should definitely help in a sprint tri. The advantages of clip in shoes & pedals are:

Power transfer - The stiff sole shoes transfer way more power, energy's not lost in flexing.
Perfect positioning - Your foot is always perfectly positioned on the pedal (one set up and fit correctly).
Better pedal stroke - You can really pull up and get extra power when spinning slow going up a climb.
The perfect positioning really helps when you get tired & fatigued, your feet never slide around out of position.

12 miles @ 18 mph = 40min
12 miles @ 20 mph = 36min
12 miles @ 22mph =  32:43

This gives you lots of time to change footwear. Even if my 10 percent gain were only 5 percent (it's probably closer to 12 or 15) you would still have 2 minutes for a shoe change!

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Speaking of shoes...

My current favs.

They make special tri versions as well.  You want the sole to be as stiff as possible to transfer the power to the pedals.
Link Posted: 3/18/2016 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Finally got fitted to the Scott Solace 30. Tweaked the seat rearwards, inverted the stem to raise the bars slightly and rotated the bars up somewhat for a more relaxed position. Original seat height was pretty much dead on already.

Also graduated to big-boy pedals with Shamano 105 pedals and snagged a pair of Scott shoes on closeout for $65. Figured that would get me into a decent pedal off-the-bat, and would be a good pair of starter shoes. Then I can upgrade later on if needed. He adjusted the cleats to fit and be in the proper position.

The shop also had an Ultegra rear direct-mount brake caliper so we swapped out the Tektro (oddly the entire bike came with 105 level hardware *except* for the rear brake :/ ). Not that this is a major deal but for $40 I figured what the hell.

In addition to the fitting he also did a tune-up since I've got 70 miles on it already. Adjusted a few things, removed the plastic hub thingy from behind the cassette and re-torqued all the bolts. Also realized I was way over-doing it on lubing the chain. Need to back off on that.

Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow and I can do my first clipped-in ride.

Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top