BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 55
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went up to HHH this year, with a January goal of a sub7 hr century.

Moving time 5h 56m  gps.  Chip time  6h 4m
Distance 100.66mi
HR 151 max 170
cad 65
speed 17.0

A sub-6 hour century!  WOOT!
View Quote

Yep, I married Super Girl!

Lets see:
down time from taking care of me when I blew up my wrist
rotator cuff surgery and recovery, (we did cheat however, she was stoking on the tandem four days post surgery and she did spend lots of time on the trainer)
a bout of diverticulitis
wrangling the occasional sick kid or three
plus the normal stuff life throws our way

And she still bangs out a sub 6 century, Super Girl indeed....

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Went up to HHH this year, with a January goal of a sub7 hr century.  I really didn't think I would be able to do it, as this year has been fraught with setbacks and downtime.  Plus my gut has been a bit tender this past week and I was scared it might flare up badly while I was out of town.

Stayed with the good folks at First Christian Church ($50 incl dinner and breakfast all you can eat).  Slept up against the scoreboard wall (warm side of gym),  and slept well.  It was a little warm at first, but cooled off after the lights went out.

Got up about 04:30 and had a good breakfast (coffee, oj, 2 hb eggs, oatmeal and a chocochip muffin.).  Took a little too long packing up, and was almost late getting to the start of the ride!  Had to hunt a parking spot and then reassemble the bike in the dark (harder than it sounds).  I got to the cage, and just a couple minutes later we started!  I'd almost missed it!

I settled into a fair pace behind a tandem, but then before Iowa Park learned they were only doing the 25mi route.  I managed to get hitched onto a pair of tandems and a CA2, and rode with them until close to RS2.  I skipped that stop too, and rode on up the road to the 100mi turn and stopped at RS3 in Electra.

Course was fine, and the roads in better shape than in 2013.  High thin clouds stuck around until 10am, which helped keep the heat down.  Winds were very light, and had the tendency to follow us around the course.  There was really only one short stretch where it felt like a headwind.  I don't think you could have asked for better weather than we had yesterday!  I think if Dave had ridden the century. he would have beaten his PR 20mph pace of last year.

As it was, I hit Hell's Gate with a bunch of time left before it closed.  I felt great, and didn't even think about taking the bailout route.  I admit it grated a little to still get passed by large  packs of riders (not pacelines, just masses), but I just kept reminding myself to ride MY ride at MY pace.  I guess it worked too!

The rest stops were excellent for ice and water support, with a ton of volunteers manning pitchers of ice water at the curb, in addition to under the tents.  Made for faster transitions.

Moving time 5h 56m  gps.  Chip time  6h 4m
Distance 100.66mi
HR 151 max 170
cad 65
speed 17.0

A sub-6 hour century!  WOOT!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
From yesterday's race:

Final stats:
4:56:19 ride time
53.49 miles
10.83mph average
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Decided to mount a camera on the bike:

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Decided to mount a camera on the bike:

http://youtu.be/DilsVbmWLNw
View Quote

Nice vid.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Went to do an easy recovery ride yesterday.

Felt good so I hammered out 40 miles.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guilty of setting personal records on recovery rides as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were a couple of those as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
A much shorter clip from my other bike:

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My bike is down for a serious upgrade.  I picked up a complete 600 Ultegra tricolor grouppo off eBay, and I'm waiting for the rest of the parts to show up.  Will post pics when it's done.  NeoRetro early 90s Steel FTW!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#11]
516 mi since the beginning of June ...not going to win any medals with that but I have dropped from 240+ to 208 ..not bad for a 50 year old with high blood pressure.

now if i can train through the fall/winter and drop more weight maybe I can get a few races next year
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
516 mi since the beginning of June ...not going to win any medals with that but I have dropped from 240+ to 208 ..not bad for a 50 year old with high blood pressure.

now if i can train through the fall/winter and drop more weight maybe I can get a few races next year
View Quote

Way to go!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#13]
25mi this morning in the wind with my better half.  Lovely weather for an easy-paced ride.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone going to the UCI Richmond 2015 race?

I'm going down Sat.

Had some time to burn at work so I took the whole week off. Probably going another day also.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent job!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's excellent progress!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Got to ride DuPont St. Park here in NC over the weekend and had an absolute BLAST. Bike rode great but I'm already cooking up a to-do list. Need to go tubeless, order up some carbon bars and a new stem, lower-profile pedals, brake upgrade, and eventually a steel frame.

Oh and add some lights to that because bombing downhill in the middle of the night is fucking AWESOME.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got to ride DuPont St. Park here in NC over the weekend and had an absolute BLAST. Bike rode great but I'm already cooking up a to-do list. Need to go tubeless, order up some carbon bars and a new stem, lower-profile pedals, brake upgrade, and eventually a steel frame.

Oh and add some lights to that because bombing downhill in the middle of the night is fucking AWESOME.
View Quote

I need to get up there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Rode with some newbies yesterday evening. 11 miles at 9 MPH average. I felt like I was creeping along, but it really was nice to take it easy and enjoy the pleasant evening.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I need to get up there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to get up there.

Yeah dude! Going to a buddy's wedding up in Hendersonville in two weeks; probably gonna make another MTB trip out of it. Let me know if you can roll.

Also, what is everyone using for lights? There're so damn many MTB lights on the market - many of which are $$$. I'm not sure what to get.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Been a while since I've been out on a ride without a group, so I fired up Strava and did some exploring on new trails. I ran out of sunlight, was really hoping I could have made it the extra 3 miles to the dam. Next time. Dual calf cramps suck.

Strava Data
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks ....this week has been rough..missed mondays ride due to heavy rain..and with the seasons changing im learning to ride into stronger headwinds yesterday and today...dropped my avg speed quite a bit
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Been a while since I've been out on a ride without a group, so I fired up Strava and did some exploring on new trails. I ran out of sunlight, was really hoping I could have made it the extra 3 miles to the dam. Next time. Dual calf cramps suck.

Strava Data
View Quote

I did 63 miles on the High Bridge State Park trail last month and started having cramps with about 18 miles to go. Having to stop and walk around a bit every 4-5 miles was a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I did 63 miles on the High Bridge State Park trail last month and started having cramps with about 18 miles to go. Having to stop and walk around a bit every 4-5 miles was a pain in the ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strava Data

I know you're a recumbent rider but here's what worked for me (enough to get me home)

While coasting, I stood up and dropped my heels, pointed my toes up as high as I could with my weight leaning forward. Basically doing a calf stretch as you would against a wall, but relying on my body weight and cleats to hold me. Maybe this would work for someone else that clips in for rides, it felt amazing after a bit.

Now, foot cramps...those are a special kind of evil. Nothing like your toes trying to stack up on one another while inside your shoes...
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Caver, are your cleats set as far back as possible on your shoes?  Most of us bentriders run our cleats at the rear of the slots.  It seems to help with foot cramping/numbness/etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Caver, are your cleats set as far back as possible on your shoes?  Most of us bentriders run our cleats at the rear of the slots.  It seems to help with foot cramping/numbness/etc.
View Quote

Yep...all the way back.

Cramping is not normally a problem for me, but it was really hot that day with loooong (16 mile) gradual climbs. A degree or so of pitch ain't much, but it is when you're on gravel and doing it for a long time
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah dude! Going to a buddy's wedding up in Hendersonville in two weeks; probably gonna make another MTB trip out of it. Let me know if you can roll.

Also, what is everyone using for lights? There're so damn many MTB lights on the market - many of which are $$$. I'm not sure what to get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to get up there.

I'm a cheapskate.

Serfas

Not going to be able to roll up to Dupont for the forseable future.  Trail LIfe kicked off, so it looks like there are going to be lots of camping trips with the boy this fall.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I know you're a recumbent rider but here's what worked for me (enough to get me home)

While coasting, I stood up and dropped my heels, pointed my toes up as high as I could with my weight leaning forward. Basically doing a calf stretch as you would against a wall, but relying on my body weight and cleats to hold me. Maybe this would work for someone else that clips in for rides, it felt amazing after a bit.

Now, foot cramps...those are a special kind of evil. Nothing like your toes trying to stack up on one another while inside your shoes...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strava Data

Mustard packets.

Always carry a couple with you to help fight them off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Mustard packets.

View Quote

I always thought cyclists just enjoyed stopping for hot dogs. Now it makes way more sense.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I always thought cyclists just enjoyed stopping for hot dogs. Now it makes way more sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mustard packets.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Hot dogs

Seriously.  First time I used them was last year on a 100K mtb "race".  Around mile 28 both hamstrings cramp BAD.  Like pedal one leg at a time into the rest stop.  Hit a mustard packet and felt both legs relax almost immediately.

Kept popping 1 packet per hour or if I had a major twinge and didn't cramp the rest of the day.

I always make sure to have some with me for anythong over 2 hours or 30 miles just in case.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mustard packets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strava Data

Mustard packets.

Never heard of mustard packets for cramps.  

Doesn't matter anyway...I hate mustard  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#32]
It's likely the vinegar in the mustard.  Many other folks use pickles or pickle juice.  You can buy commercial sport drink called Pickle Juice, or simply eat a lot of pickles and freeze the juice and take it with you in a bottle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's likely the vinegar in the mustard.  Many other folks use pickles or pickle juice.  You can buy commercial sport drink called Pickle Juice, or simply eat a lot of pickles and freeze the juice and take it with you in a bottle.
View Quote

Pickle juice does nothing for me.

I heard it was the tumeric in the mustard.  TBH, I really don't care what it is, I'm just glad it works.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, sure, mustard and pickles are the greatest thing for cramps.

Just my luck...I can't stand either one of 'em.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

DSF is awesome!

The Ridgeline loop and Reasonover loop are my personal favorites there, but the Big Rock loop is great too.

Anyone getting to that area should also hit Black Mtn in the Ranger district and Kitsuma near Old Fort.  

Bent Creek can get crowded, but is also a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

DSF is awesome!

The Ridgeline loop and Reasonover loop are my personal favorites there, but the Big Rock loop is great too.

Anyone getting to that area should also hit Black Mtn in the Ranger district and Kitsuma near Old Fort.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

DSF is awesome!

Couldn't agree more. Definitely going back! The backside of Ridgeline is just insane.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I hear ya, Caver.  I can't do mustard or pickle juice on a ride either.  But then, I am not a cramper.  Have you tried Sport Legs pills?  Some folks swear by them.  The chemistry involved seems to be a buffering agent for lactic acid.  If you haven't tried them, perhaps they would work for you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I hear ya, Caver.  I can't do mustard or pickle juice on a ride either.  But then, I am not a cramper.  Have you tried Sport Legs pills?  Some folks swear by them.  The chemistry involved seems to be a buffering agent for lactic acid.  If you haven't tried them, perhaps they would work for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not a cramper either...I just happened to get hit with 'em on that particular ride.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#39]
https://www.strava.com/activities/395800798

UCI Richmond2015 Day 1.

Best news of the day was the $10K TT bike that was stolen was found today.
Dumb Crook News
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#40]
The best thing about riding with a camera is being able to document all the stupid things you do.

Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#41]
We had an absolutely beautiful day yesterday, the sun was shining, perfect temp....and really windy. Had a nice ride though and my legs sure ached for the rest of the day.

Strava Data
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Lots of snakes on my rides this week..Had one on Monday come right across the road heading straight at to where I was riding to..It finally saw me and turned and hauled ass into the weeds..I was paying attention to that patch of road right in front of me so I didn't see him until the last second/..Boosted my daily ride to 11mi which will get me to 55mi a week..Pretty happy since I'm still about 50lbs from competitive weight
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lots of snakes on my rides this week..Had one on Monday come right across the road heading straight at to where I was riding to..It finally saw me and turned and hauled ass into the weeds..I was paying attention to that patch of road right in front of me so I didn't see him until the last second/..Boosted my daily ride to 11mi which will get me to 55mi a week..Pretty happy since I'm still about 50lbs from competitive weight
View Quote

The first one is a branch.  The second is a rattlesnake:

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/wCVpfFuaqLU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh hell no....
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.strava.com/activities/400139680]

Watched the UCI Richmond 2015 Road Race today. If you ever get a change to visit Richmond, ride up the 23rd St and Libby Hill.

The Mens Elite Race does this climb 16 times during a 160 mile race, and they are forecasting rain for Sunday.

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://www.strava.com/activities/400139680]

Watched the UCI Richmond 2015 Road Race today. If you ever get a change to visit Richmond, ride up the 23rd St and Libby Hill.

The Mens Elite Race does this climb 16 times during a 160 mile race, and they are forecasting rain for Sunday.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CPw87b-U8AAj6u1.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Needs more cci snake shot.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#48]
knocked 20 seconds off my PR for a 2 mile strava segment this morning...Amazing what checking your tire pressure and a quick Red Bull can do for your ride
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I do most of my riding on our local greenway. It's currently (no pun intended) underwater thanks to the river flooding. Lord only knows what damaged is being done to it
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#50]
54 miles yesterday in Not Flat Kansas, on the annual Octoginta ride.
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top