Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 5/7/2012 6:49:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good man....do you have any specific goals?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Since you are trying to gauge body composition also, have you considered measuring yourself every week?  Maybe something along the lines of a waist-to-hip ratio suggested by Robb Wolf?
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you know your caloric intake?  When do you typically train?

I use protein shakes pretty liberally but usually as a means to curb hunger not as meal replacement.  The day after I lift I could eat a small village so I usually throw them in there.  

I like your goals, they're ambitious and awesome.    Add a sweet potato or 2 based on your lifting numbers, on the days you train.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I would track just so you know what variables you need to tweak.  I don't doubt that your plan will work, but based on the typical eating posted, I think you'll need more carbs to maintain strength.  Also considering you're/we're on a strength based program.  I wouldn't change it though until you do or don't see results for the first few weeks.  If it works, then I'm wrong and it works.

I do think you'll like it though.  When I started going P/P and doing NOV I saw fat melting off.  I struggled with strength for a bit so I upped my fat intake by switching to more beef and full skin on chicken.  I also had to add in some extra carbs, sweet potatoes and regular potatoes did the trick.
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
1100 is a very good number.... dead shit and whey brother
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/7/2012 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:05:26 AM EDT
[#12]
OST
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:09:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OST

Office of Science and Technology?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 6:07:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 6:08:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OST

Old School Tag. It's like subscribing for gangstas.

aaaa....I have a heck of a time with acronyms.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Tagging
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OST

Old School Tag. It's like subscribing for gangstas.

aaaa....I have a heck of a time with acronyms.

As long as we're 'splainin, what's NOV?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:38:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As long as we're 'splainin, what's NOV?

North Of Vag

It's a subset of Jim Wendler's famous 5/3/1 program.

Some links for Reading:
Link 1
Link 2

Jim Wendler's Blog

Words to live by:
Don't fall for that crap that people are peddling on the message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your shit in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn't matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? Fuck you, I've got scars and blood and vomit.
This is a call to arms for some of you. It is for me too. Stop all the things that make you a pussy and steal your energy. Get your life back. - Jim Wendler
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#21]
This sounds almost exactly like what I am trying to do. I am mixing in more cardio due to work, but the low carbs worked for me. I was about 250 before XMAS and I'm down to 220 now. You are alot further along with the weights than me though. Good luck!

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Meh, I'm a pussycat.

I will recommend 5/3/1 if you want to start getting your strength on, though.

Thanks, homey- and good luck to you as well.

I have been doing starting strength and have been pleased so far. When I hit a wall with that I'll probably try Wendler.

Aren't you near Memphis? Dropping a few pounds is probably a good idea.... Less of a target at a drive by
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#25]
There's a lot of sugar in peanut butter and BBQ sauce.  I'd recommend getting your protein from a wider variety of sources and limiting the protein shakes to just one per day and that's if you can find a high quality protein powder.  I eat a lot of chicken but also have added a variety of fish to my diet.  Salmon, cod, and talapia are all good sources.  I also do some ground turkey and use it for a variety of meals throughout the week.  Limit your carb intake to mornings and post workout, but there's no need to eliminate good complex carbs altogether.  Brown rice, oats, and sweet potatoes are all good sources of complex carbs.  You also might want to look into doing a cyclic ketogenic diet instead of just going completely ketogenic.  After a couple of weeks without carbs you're going to find your energy levels have dropped and you'll be very lethargic.  It makes it had to really get after it in the gym.  Doing a cyclic ketogenic diet where you're doing a re-feed every week is much more conducive to retaining muscle mass and strength while still burning fat at a high rate.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyclical_ketogenic_diet.htm
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#27]
If you are doing low carb why are you eating peanut butter, peas and using muscle milk? Peanut Butter has a lot of sugar and a load of carbs in an amount required to fill up on. Muscle milk, not so bad but 13g of carbs is a lot mixed in with the rest of the days meals. And peas, you might as well eat a potato or have some corn. If "I" was doing this and taking Muscle Milk I would stick with bacon/sausage/eggs for breakfast, a huge salad with turkey for lunch, and some type of meat, chicken/fish/beef for dinner with a green vegetable, other than peas, for dinner. Cheese is fine, just not American. Stick with cheddar, swiss etc etc.

I recently went from a calorie restricted diet back to a low carb diet. Eating enough is VITAL. Eating too few calories on this diet is far worse than eating too many carbs. Some people can lose weight on this diet eating 80+ carbs a day, some need to eat less than 10g of carbs in order to drop the weight. Drink plenty of water and take some sort of multivitamin. What I noticed between the two diets was my workouts could not last as long. I mean I just don't have the energy to finish out the last few sets I did while eating carbs. Granted this could change as my body adjusts to the new diet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
damn it hank...

why are you drinking milk if you're going low carb?...

Milk makes you sexy. Duh.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Which tortillas?

I found some low carb at Sams that are actually... good (too bad the package is f'n huge)?

I ate some other brand that tasted like floppy cardboard...

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep. Mission are the ones I get from sams...  Won't have to switch ;)

As I've mentioned before, I like crunchy stuff... like f'n Cheeze-Its...  That is what makes carbs hard for me to reduce ;)

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't had bread, wraps, or tortillas in the house for over a year now....it DID suck at first but now I don't have any cravings  for such things. It will take some trial and error but mabey try going without.  

I'm sure you will note my opinion
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Have you looked at the ingredients on those tortillas?  There's usually some not so good stuff in there.  And the carb count is usually higher than a couple slices of bread.

I'd ditch the peanut butter (legume) and the processed foods.  Almond butter is the shit though.

I'd suggest more non starchy veggies and more natural fats.  Stay away from manufactured fats like canola, cottonseed, etc...  these can actually make you fatter faster.  If you do eat a starch like sweet potato try keep it to under a cup per meal.

Exercise, short duration, high intensity (wind sprints, tabata sets) will likely deliver better results than "static" lifting or cardio.

Buying an inexpensive blood glucose meter and measuring your blood sugar pre and 1 hour post meal for a while can really tell you a lot about how *you* respond to different foods too.  I don't know what rough total carb / day you're shooting for but < 60g / day total is a good number for most folks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 8:28:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'd ditch the peanut butter (legume) and the processed foods.  Almond butter is the shit though.

Why ditch PB? and if you say "CUZ IT'S PROCESSED!"  I'll staple your nutsack to the railroad tracks.   Show me proof that "Processed peanut butter" is worse for you than Almond butter.  Not 'oh, this guy says it is worse'... but actual scientific proof.

Stay away from manufactured fats like canola, cottonseed, etc...  these can actually make you fatter faster.

Once again––> Proof of this statement?  

Exercise, short duration, high intensity (wind sprints, tabata sets) will likely deliver better results than "static" lifting or cardio.

wtf is static lifting?  Isometrics?

See Hank... I'm trying VERY HARD to derail your thread ;)...

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 5:04:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Alright, so here's the deal- I am running a modified 5/3/1 and am carrying too much "nonfunctional mass", ie, fat. I am a proponent of the "low carb" diet to cut weight in the short term, and am not at all uncertain that it is not a sustainable diet, if one takes enough calories for one's activity level.

But that is neither here nor there.

Here's what you get in this thread, info on my:

1) daily diet
2) lift/training routine
3) weight

Now this will be unscientific at best, but as I am not into a hypertrophy ("bodybuilding") lifting routine, I expect to lose fat faster than muscle mass. "Cardio" will be minimal in, truly, and probably limited to some prowler pushing or high rep squat work.

For a bit of background- I have done this before (minus the lifting), I know how the diet works, and I know how to read a nutritional label, do simple math, and calculate net carbs.

This is thread is to serve as a journal and discussion, not a debate of technique, etc. I am not interested in unsolicited advice or your differing opinion- though I do realize this is arfcom and it will be given anyway.

This man knows his arfcom!

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 5:56:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Why ditch PB? and if you say "CUZ IT'S PROCESSED!"  I'll staple your nutsack to the railroad tracks.   Show me proof that "Processed peanut butter" is worse for you than Almond butter.  Not 'oh, this guy says it is worse'... but actual scientific proof.

Jif ingredients:
MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.

However, increasing epidemiologic and biochemical evidence suggest that excessive trans fats in the diet are a significant risk factor for cardiovascular events. A 2% absolute increase in energy intake from trans fat has been associated with a 23% increase in cardiovascular risk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20338284
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#46]
NIce job op . It sound like we have very similar goals and a very similar approach . I personally am trying to cycle my carbs(sweet potatoes, oatmeal) in one day a week and i am using the westside conjugate method. I am very interested in your progress, keep on keeping on.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#47]
How else is he going to keep his strength up if he's not eating Rapeseed?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#48]
h46,

That would be a good point...
Except Fully hydrogenated oils have NO trans fats...
Besides, Smart balance (no hydrogenation) tastes better than Jiff... and has some omega 3 action...
next argument?

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
h46,

That would be a good point...

Except Fully hydrogenated oils have NO trans fats...

Besides, Smart balance (no hydrogenation) tastes better than Jiff... and has some omega 3 action...

next argument?

Ya got me
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top