BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:
I personally prefer going heels down. I feel more stable that way. I also like letting the bar sink into my body a little at the bottom, make sure my shoulder blades are still pinched correctly, then pressing. It helps me control everything a bit better and helps prevent my shoulders from getting loaded during the decent/deceleration.

Edit: I kind of beat around the bush, but basically I think pausing at the bottom actually makes it easier when done correctly(for me).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:

Still trying to get a hang of my bench.

Worked with the belt a little bit today. I think I may be getting slightly more stabilization with the belt.

As far as the arch goes I may be arching slightly more, maybe not. I hit 275x3, then 285x3 with the belt. Then I did 295x1, 305x1 with the belt. Then 305 without. Going back to 305 without I felt alot more wobbly. I think I'm going to keep exploring this and if I find it to be beneficial, I may get a lever belt for this.

I dunno, perhaps you could help me out:

http://i63.tinypic.com/18lwkm.png

http://i67.tinypic.com/21mdeo3.png

From the pictures it looks like you have good tension. I can't see your feet, but it looks like your heels might be up. Can you/have you tried having your whole foot planted? Or does that increase your RoM too much?

I actually just tried benching with my belt on for the first time this last week and was actually pretty stunned with how much more stable it felt and I don't have a stability issue without it. haha. I have recommended using a belt to people before that have a hard time getting tight and it worked for them, but never really tried it myself since I didn't think I needed it. I don't need it, but I sure felt like I benefited from it.

Feet down usually results in less arch for me. Unfortunately USAPL's rules say that you must bench with your heels down. About 3 weeks out, I'll start training a much longer pause and a heel down.

I personally prefer going heels down. I feel more stable that way. I also like letting the bar sink into my body a little at the bottom, make sure my shoulder blades are still pinched correctly, then pressing. It helps me control everything a bit better and helps prevent my shoulders from getting loaded during the decent/deceleration.

Edit: I kind of beat around the bush, but basically I think pausing at the bottom actually makes it easier when done correctly(for me).

Can you post a pic of you feet being untucked with both a shoulder length stance and wider than shoulder stance?  I used to think I couldn't get as much arc, but the wide stance worked perfect and now I feel more stable and strong with my feet planted.  I use a heeled running shoe for bench.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

I've been considering baking. And scrapbooking.

First day back at bjj today. Been wrestling around with my wife and kid. Shoulder feels good.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flinch08:
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
Originally Posted By Th0r:
My buddy I just started training strongman with tore his bicep at the shoulder Saturday. Not sure how bad it is yet. I'm really bummed for him. He tore his pec last year and just got his upper body strength back to 100%.

That's what I worry about.  I've had it bruise a couple of times.  Definitely something to think about when it comes to technique with implements.  It's easy to overload the biceps.

Speaking of biceps, check out the sammich maker's guns.  She pulled 195 for 8 this morning at 115 bw.

<a href="http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/law5876/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshibhbxz4.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g450/law5876/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpshibhbxz4.jpeg</a>

Damn it... First it was SCWs little kids... Now even the women are stronger than I am.

I should have picked a sport where I could stay fat and weak. Like golf or fantasy football.

I've been considering baking. And scrapbooking.

First day back at bjj today. Been wrestling around with my wife and kid. Shoulder feels good.

I'm already good at the baking and cooking thing. I was thinking about taking up gardening but it sounds like work. So maybe sewing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread still broken?  Must be the femurs
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
This thread still broken?  Must be the femurs
View Quote

Femurs have nothing to do with internets it's science.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Can you post a pic of you feet being untucked with both a shoulder length stance and wider than shoulder stance?  I used to think I couldn't get as much arc, but the wide stance worked perfect and now I feel more stable and strong with my feet planted.  I use a heeled running shoe for bench.
View All Quotes
Still trying to get a hang of my bench.
Worked with the belt a little bit today. I think I may be getting slightly more stabilization with the belt.
As far as the arch goes I may be arching slightly more, maybe not. I hit 275x3, then 285x3 with the belt. Then I did 295x1, 305x1 with the belt. Then 305 without. Going back to 305 without I felt alot more wobbly. I think I'm going to keep exploring this and if I find it to be beneficial, I may get a lever belt for this.
I dunno, perhaps you could help me out:
http://i63.tinypic.com/18lwkm.png
http://i67.tinypic.com/21mdeo3.png

From the pictures it looks like you have good tension. I can't see your feet, but it looks like your heels might be up. Can you/have you tried having your whole foot planted? Or does that increase your RoM too much?

I actually just tried benching with my belt on for the first time this last week and was actually pretty stunned with how much more stable it felt and I don't have a stability issue without it. haha. I have recommended using a belt to people before that have a hard time getting tight and it worked for them, but never really tried it myself since I didn't think I needed it. I don't need it, but I sure felt like I benefited from it.

Feet down usually results in less arch for me. Unfortunately USAPL's rules say that you must bench with your heels down. About 3 weeks out, I'll start training a much longer pause and a heel down.

I can. Its something I'm going to have to train since USAPL and whatnot. So I'll post pictures on my next bench day.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Squat day. Worked up to 315x6, did 225x20, then did a bunch of lunges with 40 lb. db's. I hope I don't drop anything tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, and since I paid for everything else in the home gym, my GF just ordered a C2 Rower!

Is my house a crossfit box now?
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sean124:
Squat day. Worked up to 315x6, did 225x20, then did a bunch of lunges with 40 lb. db's. I hope I don't drop anything tomorrow.
View Quote

Pretty similar to my day.  Did 275x13 (was trying to get 15 and missed) then two sets of 5 at 325.  Can't do anything that uses much wrist flexion, couldn't even put the hand on the bar to squat last saturday, but that's about all I could do today.

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SCW:

Pretty similar to my day.  Did 275x13 (was trying to get 15 and missed) then two sets of 5 at 325.  Can't do anything that uses much wrist flexion, couldn't even put the hand on the bar to squat last saturday, but that's about all I could do today.

View All Quotes

The most reps I've done at 275 is 10. I've been fighting some back issues, but my biggest problem is I need to commit to eating more. 5'11" currently 186 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Hit some rack pulls today (a little less than 3" off the ground.)
Hit 495x2, 515x2, 540x2, I was going to do a few more but I was still sore from squats on sunday.
So I moved on to good mornings 185x10,205x10,205x10.
Then some back work and GHR with a band. I think I may test my deadlift in the next few days but this would be my last test before my meet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:35:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dolor] [#11]
Oh, and since I paid for everything else in the home gym, my GF just ordered a C2 Rower!

View Quote

Yes. paleo-vegan gluten free men(?) covered in Kinesio tape are going to start coming to your basement now.
I haven't had experience but I heard the scents of bacon, nose tork, and whiskey will keep them away.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Set rep PR's back-to-back days.

OHP Sunday - 140 x 8, and those last two were a GRIND! Ever have your legs shake on a OHP rep?

Deadlift yesterday - 375 x 8....I will have that 500 back this summer!
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 8:57:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#13]
Time for the chiropractor. My body has this really ingenious way of letting me know when my back is out of whack. It doesn't let me dead lift anything substantial. Like complete shutdown of the muscles. Plan was doubles up to 585 (attempt). Everything wend fine and dandy but when I went to pull 495 it didn't budge AT ALL. Felt like I was trying to lift the floor. Of course I was training with new people, so I felt pretty lame.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Yes. paleo-vegan gluten free men(?) covered in Kinesio tape are going to start coming to your basement now.
I haven't had experience but I heard the scents of bacon, nose tork, and whiskey will keep them away.
View All Quotes

Plenty of bacon and whiskey around the house. I'll order up some nose tork.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Plenty of bacon and whiskey around the house
. I'll order up some nose tork.
View All Quotes

Plenty of bacon and whiskey around the house
. I'll order up some nose tork.

Good man
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Squatted up to 95# pain free and attended grappling practice with no issues. Huge progress.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#17]

My 11 yo daughter (the most athletic and motivated of the herd) got back from a weekend out of town yesterday and she had barely cast a shadow on the floor when her siblings were asking if they could watch her turn in the 'pain cave'.  I kinda think she'll just show them all up, but as is typical with her she's been asking all day when we can go do the pain cave thing.  The other kids thought they were going to put a scare into her, didn't exactly work that way.

I'm furiously trying to get caught up, been sitting at the computer since 7am and have a few hours to go before I take a break, then probably put on a pot of coffee and work most of the night.  Not sure if I'll try lifting today, swelling in the wrist is way down and it feel a lot better, but I still can't do a lot with it.  I might be done after our trip to the pain cave...  The kids love that name, cracks me up.

Festivus games in 12 days or so.  Totally not ready and will only have a chance to get to the gym two or three times between now and then.

View All Quotes

Damn it... First it was SCWs little kids... Now even the women are stronger than I am.

I should have picked a sport where I could stay fat and weak. Like golf or fantasy football.

My 11 yo daughter (the most athletic and motivated of the herd) got back from a weekend out of town yesterday and she had barely cast a shadow on the floor when her siblings were asking if they could watch her turn in the 'pain cave'.  I kinda think she'll just show them all up, but as is typical with her she's been asking all day when we can go do the pain cave thing.  The other kids thought they were going to put a scare into her, didn't exactly work that way.

I'm furiously trying to get caught up, been sitting at the computer since 7am and have a few hours to go before I take a break, then probably put on a pot of coffee and work most of the night.  Not sure if I'll try lifting today, swelling in the wrist is way down and it feel a lot better, but I still can't do a lot with it.  I might be done after our trip to the pain cave...  The kids love that name, cracks me up.

Festivus games in 12 days or so.  Totally not ready and will only have a chance to get to the gym two or three times between now and then.

Awesome your kids are taking to the pain cave!

I wen to buy that tiny rogue bar for my 7 year old. Freaking sold out.

Take it easy with that wrist. Don't want to hurt it worse. Let it heal up a bit before needing to grip too hard.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Forecast is calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow during my outdoor strongman comp on Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Forecast is calling for 1 to 3 inches of snow during my outdoor strongman comp on Saturday.
View Quote

Haha. Should be fun. Do you have a link for the event? Curious to see how far it is from me. Highly doubt I could make it, but curious.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

At least you won't be hot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

View All Quotes

But their hands might freeze to the bar.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

Gloves!
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:50:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Gloves!
View All Quotes

Gloves!

I think this might be the only exception to the lifting glove rule.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Gloves!

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Haha. Should be fun. Do you have a link for the event? Curious to see how far it is from me. Highly doubt I could make it, but curious.
View All Quotes

As of this morning it's being moved to our gym.  Two of the 5 events are still going to have to be outside, but at least we'll have a heated gym to hang out in.  With proper shitters.  And a music system to play Hatebreed.

It's in Lewisburg, WV.  Here is the link to the competition facebook page.  They haven't announced the location change yet on it though.  About 30 competitors, which is bigger than I expected.

https://www.facebook.com/ChocolateThunderWV/

Also, it's important to note that there's going to be chocolate moonshine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#26]

As of this morning it's being moved to our gym.  Two of the 5 events are still going to have to be outside, but at least we'll have a heated gym to hang out in.  With proper shitters.  And a music system to play Hatebreed.

It's in Lewisburg, WV.  Here is the link to the competition facebook page.  They haven't announced the location change yet on it though.  About 30 competitors, which is bigger than I expected.

View All Quotes

Critical.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Broke.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Like my shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Also, Virginia's Strongest Man is in June in Richmond (6/25).  I'm thinking about doing it, but it's gonna be heavy unless I cut some weight.

Events are max log C&P, deadlift medley with axle DL, frame DL and 18" DL, a keg carrying medley, hand over hand truck pull, and atlas stones.

Definitely gonna do Brute Strength in Norfolk in August.  Looks pretty sweet has a throwing event.

Bro, your strong.  Start training.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Hit some benching today with some chains. Worked up to 290+~50 lb of chains on the bar. I realized I might not be pressing in the "j path" like many say to do.
Feel pretty good. 290 went up pretty fast felt good. But I forgot to record it so I don't know how it looked.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Wrist felt well enough to do some 95 pound bench press, so I did rounds of 20 rep no lock out bench press and 20 rep no lock out squats with 135.  I got three rounds without a rest, then collapsed.  Legs hurt so bad...

The festivus games have a max pounds in 2 minutes bench press, I haven't decided what weight to use.  95 is pretty good, I think I can keep a decent rhythm for 2 minutes.  I think at 135 I'll blow up before the end.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:00:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh god.

This cold will not die. This is week three of coughing up (now white, previously butter colored) lung babies. Makes squats very difficult. No issues with legs, but maintaining core integrity is extremely difficult while coughing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Also, Virginia's Strongest Man is in June in Richmond (6/25).  I'm thinking about doing it, but it's gonna be heavy unless I cut some weight.

Events are max log C&P, deadlift medley with axle DL, frame DL and 18" DL, a keg carrying medley, hand over hand truck pull, and atlas stones.

Definitely gonna do Brute Strength in Norfolk in August.  Looks pretty sweet has a throwing event.

View All Quotes

Right now I am wishy washy on training for a RAW powerlifting comp in mid September. I am about ~10lbs into what will hopefully be a 40lb cut which I want to be finished with by July. We'll see how that goes. Then I'm going on safari for two weeks the last half of July. So it will give me 6 weeks to prep specifically for the contest. Timing works out pretty well for that one.

Yesterday I had an idea for squats(someone out there has probably done it and has a name for it) and I think it might work, started it last night. Did my normal mid-low rep work up then set the pins on my rack so I only had about 12" of range of motion. Then went heavy and heavier and heavier for triples. Next week I'll drop the pins one hole, then another the week after that, etc. until I am full depth hopefully with the bar loaded with 5+ plates. This should be an 8 week process I think.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#34]
First workout back after stomach bug. Seems like I'm eternally getting sick.

Chins
BW x 10,10
+25 x 7
+50 x 5,5,5
+25 x 6
BW x 10

Dips
BW x 20,20
+25 x 20,20,20
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Blasting through more newb gains. I'm adding a few pounds to my PR every workout on 5/3/1. Only OHP is slow to go. I was supposed to deadlift yesterday. But squats on Sat had me walking funny for a few days. So I pulled today. A dew drop 10 rep sets, and a few high rep low weight sets of good mornings.

I deadlifted my squat goal today... Soon.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By therex:
Oh god.

This cold will not die. This is week three of coughing up (now white, previously butter colored) lung babies. Makes squats very difficult. No issues with legs, but maintaining core integrity is extremely difficult while coughing.
View Quote

Sure it's a cold? Lasting that long seems abnormal
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Blasting through more newb gains. I'm adding a few pounds to my PR every workout on 5/3/1. Only OHP is slow to go. I was supposed to deadlift yesterday. But squats on Sat had me walking funny for a few days. So I pulled today. A dew drop 10 rep sets, and a few high rep low weight sets of good mornings.

I deadlifted my squat goal today... Soon.
View Quote

Soooo, what's the numbers?  Was that a squat goal for this week or..?

I might be sore tomorrow.  That would be the first time in a while that I'd be sore from squats.

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#38]
My gym owner was looking for someone to make a flyer for the upcoming meet he hosts. I made some flyers for my work. It's not done yet but i want to see what you guys think before I forward it to him.
This is the first one. I'll probably make 1-2 more before I show him.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#39]
My gym owner was looking for someone to make a flyer for the upcoming meet he hosts. I made some flyers for my work. It's not done yet but i want to see what you guys think before I forward it to him.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2m3ialt.png
View Quote

I like it. You misspelled Saturday though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#40]
lol, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
http://i64.tinypic.com/2m3ialt.png

Misspelled information as well.  

Looks sufficiently masculine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: frayedknot] [#42]
Shawna any relation to Scot?

Regardless, I hope she's beastly to live up to her name.

Nvm. Just looked her up. Holy shit!

660/425/520

Powerful family!
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#43]
lol, thanks.
View Quote

multi-ply instead of multiply I believe. Right?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
Shawna any relation to Scot?

Regardless, I hope she's beastly to live up to her name.

Nvm. Just looked her up. Holy shit!

660/425/520

Powerful family!
View Quote

I'll say! I had that question too when I saw the name.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
lol, thanks.

I think you might be right but it was spelled that way on last year's flyer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#46]
#2 Probably still with some missspellings
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks good.

I'd add in contact information for Reed and Mendelson though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Good luck man
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks good.

I'd add in contact information for Reed and Mendelson though.
View Quote

I don't have that info, lol
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#50]
LOL. I used to have a T-shirt that said, "I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things."
Page / 769
Top Top