Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Been an incredibly rough 8 days of having the flu.  Lost a ton of weight which I assume is 100% muscle.  Feel like what Rosie Odonnel looks like.

On a plus note, I haven't had a diet dr pepper in a long time with no desire to have one.  Thinking I can parlay this into finally kicking the habit.

On the negative side, I don't feel like lifting.  Not just in the short term because I am weak, but in the long term as well.  It is odd how severe illness can change habits in your life.  I'll have to force myself.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice therex.

I would take a free trip to Latvia, ROG.

I would also take a lifetime CC permit for $200, Alex.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Remodeled the whole fucking site, but left this broke dick thread. Fuck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SoonerBorn:
Been an incredibly rough 8 days of having the flu.  Lost a ton of weight which I assume is 100% muscle.  Feel like what Rosie Odonnel looks like.

On a plus note, I haven't had a diet dr pepper in a long time with no desire to have one.  Thinking I can parlay this into finally kicking the habit.

On the negative side, I don't feel like lifting.  Not just in the short term because I am weak, but in the long term as well.  It is odd how severe illness can change habits in your life.  I'll have to force myself.
View Quote

Damn. I agree about illness really having a long term impact. After my lungs being fucked up for so long it has been a real struggle to stay focused.

Make it happen.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By therex:
I'm feeling much better after a week on clomiphene. Not "normal" yet. But...better. 25mg/day + DHEA + Vitamin D + Rhodiola Rosea. I'm not as tired as I was, and that's on top of an attempt to reduce my caffeine intake. Getting rando boners and more frequent morning wood, which had gone away. Increased work capacity in workouts which is nice to have again. My appetite has changed as well, I am not all 
http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/kirbyinhaling2.gif
all the damned time, and my workout recovery has been much better. I worked pretty hard on wednesday, and wasn't any pain to "take me out". Now I need to gear up for the discipline needed to remove this weight I've gained, and see if I can get my levels back naturally. I'm sure I've got a big ole nasty stress makes me fat makes my t low stresses me out. 

This sucks, but in a less sucky way than a few weeks ago. 
View Quote

Good to hear.  Low T sucks.

I'm still always hungry though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By flinch08:

Damn. I agree about illness really having a long term impact. After my lungs being fucked up for so long it has been a real struggle to stay focused.

Make it happen.
View Quote

I just started taking MSM for my lungs.  A good friend of mine was a pack-a-day smoker for 40 years or so and he's been in MSM for a few months now, said for the first few weeks it felt like he'd been kicked in the chest every day, then the pain went away and he's breathing better than he has in years.  He thought of me (burned up my lungs when I was breathing burning propane) and for $10 I figured it was worth a shot.  I'm on day three, crossing fingers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Poured concrete for my greenhouse today.

Holy crap, that's hard work.  Those farm boys tossing hay bales need to move mud around for a while.  I'll go back to kettlebell swings, way easier.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SCW:
Poured concrete for my greenhouse today.

Holy crap, that's hard work.  Those farm boys tossing hay bales need to move mud around for a while.  I'll go back to kettlebell swings, way easier.
View Quote

Our middle linebacker on my HS team's father owned a concrete business.  That was really the only workouts he did over the summer, and he was a beast.  He probably couldn't lift all that much, I don't even remember, but he was tough in a violent, destructive way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

Our middle linebacker on my HS team's father owned a concrete business.  That was really the only workouts he did over the summer, and he was a beast.  He probably couldn't lift all that much, I don't even remember, but he was tough in a violent, destructive way.
View Quote

I'd get a violent temperament if I had to work concrete every day.  My friend/neighbor is a concrete guy and we are building near twin greenhouses, I never took him for a particularly strong guy, but...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Did some heavy farmers carries.  250 per hand.  Working up to a contest weight of 300.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/image-144697.JPG

Did some heavy farmers carries.  250 per hand.  Working up to a contest weight of 300.
View Quote

The level of suck looks high. Sick shirt btw.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:09:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hizzie] [#12]
More Hatfield Squats. 445 x 5

http://youtu.be/LLp_bgemWYQ

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/277223/image-144697.JPG

View Quote

Damn, bro!
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:
More Hatfield Squats. 445 x 5

http://youtu.be/LLp_bgemWYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLp_bgemWYQ
View Quote

Many those look good. I guess you like that bar.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Many those look good. I guess you like that bar.
View Quote

I love this thing. Excellent addition to gym. The pad on this thing is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hizzie] [#16]
Specialty Bar Article

Proloc Collars make a cambered bar attachment for regular oly bars.

Proloc
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AnvilUSMC:

The level of suck looks high. Sick shirt btw.
View Quote

Here is the video.  The pick is really the worst part.  Trying to get the balancing right.

Also worked on sandbag picks.  Speed is key.  This is a new technique for me.  This is a sick workout just by itself.

Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Here is the video.  The pick is really the worst part.  Trying to get the balancing right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeuildkYsG8

Also worked on sandbag picks.  Speed is key.  This is a new technique for me.  This is a sick workout just by itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeW7tj5wTx0
View Quote

Yeah, that looks frikkin hard. Good job! Maybe it is my calorie deficit talking, but I don't even feel like touching my 100lb bags for carries.

My work schedule changed so I start an hour later now and have time for a quick stop at the gym after dropping the kid off at daycare. Works perfectly since I was trying to add in some extra work to create a bigger deficit so I don't have to eat less. Did some dumbbell press, 'cause build the chest fuck the rest, and hit the elliptical for 15 min. I'm down a little over 10 lbs since I started cutting in jan., but if I don't track my calories I just end up maintaining weight wherever that may be. So, I have to be more diligent with myfitnesspal. I want to knock off another 20-30lbs of fat in the next few months and I don't want to drag out the process too long nor lose muscle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Not sure if I'm gonna add farmers walk handles.  Trap bar for sure.  I'd like to add in the carries for GPP. The heavy sandbag looks good too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Yeah, that looks frikkin hard. Good job! Maybe it is my calorie deficit talking, but I don't even feel like touching my 100lb bags for carries.

My work schedule changed so I start an hour later now and have time for a quick stop at the gym after dropping the kid off at daycare. Works perfectly since I was trying to add in some extra work to create a bigger deficit so I don't have to eat less. Did some dumbbell press, 'cause build the chest fuck the rest, and hit the elliptical for 15 min. I'm down a little over 10 lbs since I started cutting in jan., but if I don't track my calories I just end up maintaining weight wherever that may be. So, I have to be more diligent with myfitnesspal. I want to knock off another 20-30lbs of fat in the next few months and I don't want to drag out the process too long nor lose muscle.
View Quote

I weighed in at 268 Saturday.    Had to enlarge my inner  by one hole.  But the extra food/weight is helping my strength.  
Despite everything I did on Saturday, which also included axle clean and press at contest weight, which itself followed a heavy week of lifting, I was back at it this morning on back squat.  Hit some heavy singles up to 465, ATG, smooth.  Kind of sucks getting a belly.  But it feels good to be in that strength sweet spot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#21]

I weighed in at 268 Saturday.    Had to enlarge my inner  by one hole.  But the extra food/weight is helping my strength.  
Despite everything I did on Saturday, which also included axle clean and press at contest weight, which itself followed a heavy week of lifting, I was back at it this morning on back squat.  Hit some heavy singles up to 465, ATG, smooth.  Kind of sucks getting a belly.  But it feels good to be in that strength sweet spot.
View Quote

It is awesome being in that zone where recovery is spot on with workload, etc. That is basically where I was at this last year. My weight was stable within 2-3 lbs the whole year. I dropped pant sizes and had to go back to some bigger shirts because my back was getting bigger but shirts that are cut generously in the mid section(I am looking at you tommy bahama) make me look like shit since they are tight through the chest then just hang out there since they are fitted for land whales. It's just time for me to lean out. Strength hasn't really taken much of a hit, I just need to make sure I am properly fueled for lifting or I feel like I just don't have the gas.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

I think you found all the weight I lost.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Had my first bjj class last night.  I think I'm hooked.  Rolled a little bit with a purple belt.  Dude was legit.  Pretty humbling.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#24]

I think you found all the weight I lost.
View Quote

And all the gainz!!!! OH SNAP! Mine too though, I did actual cardio two days in a row now. gross.

I did a workout plan (linear 5x5 style) and meal plan for a buddy who has been fat since conception. He was shocked with all the food he gets to eat. 4 eggs, 2 lbs of meat, a bunch of veggies if he wants, up to a cup and a half of rice, a shake on lifting days, and since he won't quit drinking beer up to 2 a day. Hopefully he gets going on it and likes it. I am starting him right around his estimated maintenance calories and told him this week and next week I just want him to get used to eating this way, maybe move a little more and start doing some air squats and push-ups. Then we will start up with the lifting. That way we introduce the changes in a sustainable way that isn't overwhelming and if we need to adjust anything we will have a better idea if it is nutrition or lifting related. So we will get him doing a recomp and then if he is motivated we can throw in a cut for a month or 2 without driving him nuts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Had my first bjj class last night.  I think I'm hooked.  Rolled a little bit with a purple belt.  Dude was legit.  Pretty humbling.
View Quote

When all else fails just pick him up and throw
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Beast mode
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote

I think I can get by starting on my feet, or starting on top.  But starting on the bottom sucks for sure.  Had a 255# dude laying on me and I couldn't quite get up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#28]
So if you all remember, some months back I pulled my shoulder out of socket trying to be spider man. Took some time off, seemed better, began training again. Then, as of the past 2 months, It popped out overhead pressing. Popped out rock climbing, and finally popped out in my sleep. Each time I lost stability with less and less force required. It was at the point I could over-extend my shoulder nearly out of socket under it's own power. Tendons were that loose.

I'm trying the cheap self fix option before I go to a doc. So far I'm seeing improvement. I haven't done any upper body in 3 weeks, and it's killing me. For the first two weeks I just focused on stability exercises and working the muscles around the joint with very light weight. The last week I've seen some really good improvement in keeping the shoulder in socket. Couple days ago I could hang from a bar and not feel like it was going to pull out. Today, I did 10 pullups with no pain and only small "tug" of instability on the last one. Oh yeah, the last week also involved 10ius of hgh every day, so I'm sure that's helping tighten my joints down a little bit. It does have me feeling a little lethargic and some joint tightness in my hands, but my body seems to be handling it pretty well. Hoping it works, cause I really do not want to go the surgery route yet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Th0r:
So if you all remember, some months back I pulled my shoulder out of socket trying to be spider man. Took some time off, seemed better, began training again. Then, as of the past 2 months, It popped out overhead pressing. Popped out rock climbing, and finally popped out in my sleep. Each time I lost stability with less and less force required. It was at the point I could over-extend my shoulder nearly out of socket under it's own power. Tendons were that loose.

I'm trying the cheap self fix option before I go to a doc. So far I'm seeing improvement. I haven't done any upper body in 3 weeks, and it's killing me. For the first two weeks I just focused on stability exercises and working the muscles around the joint with very light weight. The last week I've seen some really good improvement in keeping the shoulder in socket. Couple days ago I could hang from a bar and not feel like it was going to pull out. Today, I did 10 pullups with no pain and only small "tug" of instability on the last one. Oh yeah, the last week also involved 10ius of hgh every day, so I'm sure that's helping tighten my joints down a little bit. It does have me feeling a little lethargic and some joint tightness in my hands, but my body seems to be handling it pretty well. Hoping it works, cause I really do not want to go the surgery route yet.
View Quote

That sucks man.  Shoulder injuries are the worst.  My orthopedic surgeon father would tell you just don't use it and it will get better over time.  That wasn't an option for my wife.  After her long road, and thousands in unnecessary med bills, I would advise you to go only to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in treating athletes.  Like at a big university's sports medicine facility.  As it turned out for her, she didn't need surgery.  The regular docs are used to treating land whales, old people and sedentary people.  A guy used to treating athletes may have seen the same exact thing before and know what the hell the real problem is.  All she needed was good PT.  Which is hard to find as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:42:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thor] [#30]
I do thankfully know a PT I've trained with in the past. I'm getting exercises from him. He told me there's no way to tell the actual issue without an ultrasound, but he'd recommend treating it with therapy as standard "Chronic Shoulder Instability" first before paying for an ultrasound. I have garbage insurance. Thanks Obama.

I'm not even really bummed this time around. This is the 4th time a shoulder has knocked me out of the gym for a while. Every time I've bounced back, and I don't see this being any different. I just have to be smarter afterwards. Gonna have some new limits.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to have garbage insurance.  Now everybody has garbage insurance.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Th0r:
I do thankfully know a PT I've trained with in the past. I'm getting exercises from him. He told me there's no way to tell the actual issue without an ultrasound, but he'd recommend treating it with therapy as standard "Chronic Shoulder Instability" first before paying for an ultrasound. I have garbage insurance. Thanks Obama.

I'm not even really bummed this time around. This is the 4th time a shoulder has knocked me out of the gym for a while. Every time I've bounced back, and I don't see this being any different. I just have to be smarter afterwards. Gonna have some new limits.
View Quote

That is rough man. At least you are making some progress. Keep it up!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to have garbage insurance.  Now everybody has garbage insurance.  
View Quote

Not me.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Not me.
View Quote

I gave up fantastic insurance in exchange for telling my kids not to go outside without their bubble wrap.  I even spent a few hours reading the details of the tax penalties on O-care and found a way to avoid them, I think.

We used to be self-pay on everything years ago and I guess we're doing it again, I just never thought of it as a form of civil disobedience.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For him that may actually be an option.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SCW:

I gave up fantastic insurance in exchange for telling my kids not to go outside without their bubble wrap.  I even spent a few hours reading the details of the tax penalties on O-care and found a way to avoid them, I think.

We used to be self-pay on everything years ago and I guess we're doing it again, I just never thought of it as a form of civil disobedience.
View Quote

I heard on Rush today that they IRS wasn't going to enforce the mandate for O care.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Had my 2nd bjj class last night.  Learned the tripod sweep.  That was fun.

Did some heavy singles on front squats this morning.  Worked up to 335/345/355/365.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Had my 2nd bjj class last night.  Learned the tripod sweep.  That was fun.

Did some heavy singles on front squats this morning.  Worked up to 335/345/355/365.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thormx538] [#39]
New 5RM for squats -- 330. I might have had 335x5 in the tank if I just tried that instead of 330, but I had nothing left after working up. Next week
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Gronk Swiss Bar arrived Thursday night. Minor damage from the usual rough UPS landing.  I really like this thing!  Went up to 210 for a single on inclines. Not bad all things considered. No pain at all. After inclines I played with all 4 grips and even flipped the bar for some reverse grip action flat. I can flat bench without pain again!

Swiss Bar Inclines
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Hizzie:
Gronk Swiss Bar arrived Thursday night. Minor damage from the usual rough UPS landing.  I really like this thing!  Went up to 210 for a single on inclines. Not bad all things considered. No pain at all. After inclines I played with all 4 grips and even flipped the bar for some reverse grip action flat. I can flat bench without pain again!

Swiss Bar Inclines
View Quote

Awesome man. Kill it!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Yesterday was my first day back after being sick for nearly 2 weeks. Felt like I hadn't trained in over a month
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#44]
My Gronk Swiss Bar has normal 2" ends. Spring collars fit fine.  Procloc collars work on both bar sizes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:06:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Had an awesome deadlift session today. Worked up, 4 plates was easy, 4 1/2 was not a big deal, 5 was heavy but routine, 515 was heavy and clean, got 535 with good form. Lifting partner wanted to switch to using the blocks which was perfect since I didn't want to move higher off the ground but wanted to get some heavy volume in. As we were setting up some high school kids were strolling down the street and were 'mirin. They stopped by and asked us about what we were doing and to watch a set. So the pressure was on, lol. Lifting parter hit a sweet pr and I nailed a doubled at 545. Moved to 565, pulled got way more whip from the bar than I am used to and it just pulled me down. Lifting buddy put his hand with a little pressure  on my chest and I got it. Then  I did another single there without help. Moved down from there.

Really good day. Have a bunch of burst capillaries in my face and shoulders/traps to prove it. lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Do you guys always go for AMRAP?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Had an awesome deadlift session today. Worked up, 4 plates was easy, 4 1/2 was not a big deal, 5 was heavy but routine, 515 was heavy and clean, got 535 with good form. Lifting partner wanted to switch to using the blocks which was perfect since I didn't want to move higher off the ground but wanted to get some heavy volume in. As we were setting up some high school kids were strolling down the street and were 'mirin. They stopped by and asked us about what we were doing and to watch a set. So the pressure was on, lol. Lifting parter hit a sweet pr and I nailed a doubled at 545. Moved to 565, pulled got way more whip from the bar than I am used to and it just pulled me down. Lifting buddy put his hand with a little pressure  on my chest and I got it. Then  I did another single there without help. Moved down from there.

Really good day. Have a bunch of burst capillaries in my face and shoulders/traps to prove it. lol
View Quote

sounds insane man. :D
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Awesome, that sounds like a great workout. That little bit of pressure sure helps sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Supposed to be 60 today. I think I'm going to go on an epic long armor run in the woods. Maybe 10 miles, maybe more.

I need some miles
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Supposed to be 60 today. I think I'm going to go on an epic long armor run in the woods. Maybe 10 miles, maybe more.

I need some miles
View Quote

have fun- 60 degrees here too... opened the windows in the house today!
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top