Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2017 3:44:39 PM EDT
Is there any real difference? If I get a 243 barrel with 1:7 twist would it essentially perform the same?
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
What Rob said.  If you're going to run the 110 SMK you'll want a 7, but other than that 7.5-8 is plenty.  The 110 smk is longer than a 115 DTAC.  

I'm running that bullet in a 6 creedmor this year and even with minimal freebore it is still going to have an OAL of 2.86.  

The creedmoor cases are a better design than the older 308, but the reality it doesn't matter much.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Just curious...I've noticed the phrase 6mm CM lately and after shooting my new Mossberg with these results was wondering about the Creedmoor. When I already have 243 brass and dies it would be a more logical investment to stick with that instead of going with a new cartridge. Just too bad the Mossy only has a 1:10 barrel. I got that group with 100 grain SPs so I was checking the book and it was recommending a 1:8 or 1:7 for 100 gr and higher....
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
http://i67.tinypic.com/dcqys5.jpg

Just curious...I've noticed the phrase 6mm CM lately and after shooting my new Mossberg with these results was wondering about the Creedmoor. When I already have 243 brass and dies it would be a more logical investment to stick with that instead of going with a new cartridge. Just too bad the Mossy only has a 1:10 barrel. I got that group with 100 grain SPs so I was checking the book and it was recommending a 1:8 or 1:7 for 100 gr and higher....
View Quote

1:10 will work for varmint type loads, but is going to be a no go for any long range work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

1:10 will work for varmint type loads, but is going to be a no go for any long range work.
View Quote

Wondering how far I could push the 100's before they keyhole? I picked that rifle up so my son can reach out further than his AR during deer season....so the heavier loads are more desirable with some of the fields that we are going to be hunting this year.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

Wondering how far I could push the 100's before they keyhole? I picked that rifle up so my son can reach out further than his AR during deer season....so the heavier loads are more desirable with some of the fields that we are going to be hunting this year.
View Quote
100gr soft points will work fine in a 1-10" twist. It's the high BC bullets in the 105+gr range you want to stay away from. 1-10" has been the standard .243 twist since it was introduced in the mid 50s for hunting rifles. 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#7]
With the .243 Winchester shoulder angle, it doesn't burn as efficiently and wears throats out faster.

ES will be tighter with the 6mm CM.

6mm CM with Lapua brass and the 110gr SMK or 115gr DTAC RBT are probably going to be the combos to beat this year and next in PRS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top