Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 6:42:36 PM EDT
Will the magnetic bi metal jacket of ammo like Wolf damage the accuracy of a precision barrel? I know not to expect great things from it but if it will cause no damage, i may buy a box just to sling some lead into steel plates at 200 yards for fairly cheap. I have no reloading stuff to reload so this may be a better temporary option to shoot my rifle more
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I found that Lucky Gunner did a test of bimetal jacketed ammo vs copper jacketed ammo and the bimetal very much accelerated barrel wear. I will not be firing cheap steel cased bimetal jacketed ammo through any precision rifle...probably just leave it up to the ak
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy a Dillon instead.

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ckopp636:
I found that Lucky Gunner did a test of bimetal jacketed ammo vs copper jacketed ammo and the bimetal very much accelerated barrel wear. I will not be firing cheap steel cased bimetal jacketed ammo through any precision rifle...probably just leave it up to the ak
View Quote
Yes but they fired thousands of rounds continuously and the heat / powder burn did more damage. than just the jacket.

Just get some cheap surplus .308.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I cringe at the thought of shooting cheap steel case through my precision rifles. If you're trying to save some money, trying to do it with precision rifles is pretty rough and usually counterproductive to the task of being precise in the first place.

If you're set on the idea, try some Hornady steel match, it's not as cheap as tul or wolf, but considerably cheaper than FGMM, and may shoot pretty well depending on if your setup likes it. It's available in .223 and .308, and I've always liked it for the cost.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:37:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#7]
They (bimetal jacketed and steel or cupronickel jacketed) cut the life of a barrel dramatically when used heavily. Don't put that in a precision rifle. Put them in something you don't care about rebarreling or accuracy on.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:39:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Steel match shoots great.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
The Hornady 75grn Steel Match .223 is very accurate through my .223 bolt gun and AR. I shot the group below with my bolt gun at 100. The arrow is the pulled shot when an AR went off right next to me as I was pressing the trigger LOL Also shot a 2" 5 shot group at 400 yards on steel.

http://i.imgur.com/xArWdVE.jpg
View Quote
This has been my experience with it, but it seems a bit picky about what rifles it likes. Usually mine either shoot it like 2-3 MOA, or it shoots like a freaking laser beam. My current precision .223's shoot it poorly but I had a Mk 12 that could shoot it into no shit .5-.6" groups. I didn't know what I had and sold it, but it at least shows what Hornady Steel is capable of. Also, it uses regular hornady steel bullets, so the arguments against bimetal bullets don't apply to it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Yes but they fired thousands of rounds continuously and the heat / powder burn did more damage. than just the jacket.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Originally Posted By ckopp636:

This, the high volume of fire was the issue. I have an LMT with 19K of bimetal bullets shot through it with a normal firing schedule and it still shoots good as new. That said I still wouldn't put it through my precision rifle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Fixed it for you. Yup standard Hornady bullets so no issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

This has been my experience with it, but it seems a bit picky about what rifles it likes. Usually mine either shoot it like 2-3 MOA, or it shoots like a freaking laser beam. My current precision .223's shoot it poorly but I had a Mk 12 that could shoot it into no shit .5-.6" groups. I didn't know what I had and sold it, but it at least shows what Hornady Steel is capable of. Also, it uses regular hornady bullets, so the arguments against bimetal bullets don't apply to it.
Fixed it for you. Yup standard Hornady bullets so no issues.
Ha yes good catch. The Hornady Steel Match is in an entirely different category than what most are talking about when they talk about steel case. I cringe at the thought of shooting steel case through my precision barrels, but that stuff is not only fine but sometimes shoots absolutely outstanding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top