Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2016 6:15:27 PM EDT
Specifically the 120gr 6.5creedmoor? I'm going on a week long hunting trip and have toyed with bringing my creedmoor as a back up but don't have any hunting specific loads for it. I have no reservations about shooting a hog in the neck or head with it but wonder what a lung shot on a deer would do. I may be able to pick up some hunting rounds for it and zero while on my trip

I also have some 140gr ELD's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the same bullet weight but I have killed elk with 178 Amax and 208 Amax both from a .308 at varying distances. Every shot was lethal. No follow ups required.

Amax tends to hold together better and get more controlled expansion the further the shot. Up close they are like little explosives. I hit an elk at 40 yards perfectly broadside with a 208 from a .308 and it didn't exit. Lung, heart and impact area were soup.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
In .308 the perform as well or better than the SST. Hornady does not sell them as a hunting round, but as a performance target round. It excells as both as posted above it is like soup in the cavity, and I have not had one fully exit-it did jack up the other side with fragments.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I ended up buying a box of Hornady hunting ammo for it but decided to leave the rifle at home this trip so I can confirm the zero with the new ammo. I'll report back if/when I use the AMAX next month.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Leaving tomorrow for bear/deer. I'm using 168 grain Amax in my m1. We'll see
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 10:17:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Intune] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
View Quote

There are much better bullets for bears.  
Amax shines at longer distances (300+) because it holds together at those velocities.

ETA: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/471232_Best_all_purpose_bullet_for__308win.html
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:09:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#6]
Originally Posted By Intune69:

Amax shines at longer distances (300+) because it holds together at those velocities.

ETA: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/471232_Best_all_purpose_bullet_for__308win.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Factory loads for an M1? Please link

Besides a .30-06 isn't going to push it fast enough to make it blow up

Lol, just read what you did link and 168 AMAX is one of the most recommended and used bullets in that thread
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Lol, just read what you did link and 168 AMAX is one of the most recommended and used bullets in that thread
View All Quotes

For bears?    Ask that question over there.   I hope you have a perfect heart/lung shot.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I smoked a good sized muley this year at 315 yards with factory 120gr Amax loads in an RPR. Destroyed both front shoulders, but he was down for the count. Not the best choice for holding mass together I'm afraid, probably lost 8-10 lbs of meat.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:10:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#9]
Hornady ELD-X bullets look to be a little better than the A-Max. Better ballistics and looking at there picture, looks like it shrooms better.
Hornady 6.5
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Took ELD-X out for deer season, that's not AMAX but it's similar. Mine was a neck shot so I don't think the round used mattered too much, but the round entered/exited, the deer dropped and was dead by the time it hit the ground. I know that while it is not advertised as a hunting bullet, lots use AMAX for that purpose with great results. As said above, it tends to perform well at longer ranges. The decreasing velocity over distance leads to bigger fragments upon impact, which carry more momentum, which lead to deeper penetration. At closer range the inverse is true with faster smaller fragments.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
i'm not much of a hunter, but i generally think shot placement is more important than bullet construction.

i'd rather put a bad bullet exactly where i want it, than a wonder bullet 8" from where i was aiming

so the real question is, what can you shoot better? if you're shooting far enough away that wind makes a difference, does one of them perform significantly better in the wind?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#12]

For bears?    Ask that question over there.   I hope you have a perfect heart/lung shot.  Good luck.
View All Quotes

Turns out it's a moot point as my m1 can't group with them. Winchester power points it is.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I shot a turkey with it this morning. 200yds through the neck and it was DRT. Still a turkey isn't the same as a deer but it's a start.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Turns out it's a moot point as my m1 can't group with them. Winchester power points it is.
View All Quotes

Those should do the job, good hunting!  
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
Took ELD-X out for deer season, that's not AMAX but it's similar. Mine was a neck shot so I don't think the round used mattered too much, but the round entered/exited, the deer dropped and was dead by the time it hit the ground. I know that while it is not advertised as a hunting bullet, lots use AMAX for that purpose with great results. As said above, it tends to perform well at longer ranges. The decreasing velocity over distance leads to bigger fragments upon impact, which carry more momentum, which lead to deeper penetration. At closer range the inverse is true with faster smaller fragments.
View Quote

Since the ELD-X is advertised as a hunting round plus better ballistics, I would use the ELD-X over the A-Max. Using varget, I use 43.9 gr getting 2720 fps out of a 24 inch 5R bull barrel. Dead on!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 13starsinax:
In .308 the perform as well or better than the SST. Hornady does not sell them as a hunting round, but as a performance target round. It excells as both as posted above it is like soup in the cavity, and I have not had one fully exit-it did jack up the other side with fragments.
View Quote

I've shot several pigs with both the 168 and 110 TAP ammo (.308 Win)... no exits and DRT.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:

Since the ELD-X is advertised as a hunting round plus better ballistics, I would use the ELD-X over the A-Max. Using varget, I use 43.9 gr getting 2720 fps out of a 24 inch 5R bull barrel. Dead on!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

In a 6.5 Creedmoor?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Got 2 whitetail bucks both with 168 Amax in 308win. Double lunged both and they ran about 50yds.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By bevenue:
Got 2 whitetail bucks both with 168 Amax in 308win. Double lunged both and they ran about 50yds.
View Quote

How much of the bullet stayed together? After seeing what the ELD bullets are doing, my look at the A-Max or something else.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]

How much of the bullet stayed together? After seeing what the ELD bullets are doing, my look at the A-Max or something else.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bevenue:

Didnt recover anything. Pass through on both.  Distances were about 40 and 70 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top