Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2016 3:47:13 PM EDT
I'm wanting to get out and do some fall hiking using topo maps of my areas. I have a reasonable understanding of them, I just don't have any.
What are some of your favorite places to source topo maps, and supplies to use then?  Similarly what type of map holders, etc do you use.

I'm also looking at iOS topo apps, any favorites?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Mytopo.com, great site.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldmikey:
Mytopo.com, great site.
View Quote

This. Gotta several maps done of both my families' properties
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
another vote for mytopo
awesome value for custom maps
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Topoquest has scanned raster USGS 7.5 minute quads for free for most of the country.

Geotiff format.

Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: STRIKE504] [#5]
Gaia and Pdf maps(Avenza) for IOS apps.

ETA- you can record tracks, geo ref pics and export email route overlays to use on other applications such as Google earth. I use it (Gaia mostly) for work about everyday, it's amazing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyway to get them in MGRS?
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By joshdb50:
View Quote

mytopo.com can do this for you and print them on a plasticized paper for complete waterproof maps.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LineOfDeparture] [#8]
Originally Posted By YO_Doc:

mytopo.com can do this for you and print them on a plasticized paper for complete waterproof maps.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By YO_Doc:
Originally Posted By joshdb50:

No shit.... thanks, I'll check that out.

ETA: Okay... this site gets my FO knickers wet.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#9]
There is an app for IOS or Android, onXmaps Hunt.  Basemaps I believe are free, or for $30 a year you can get your state complete with land ownership information, and a bunch of other stuff.  I don't know if they have MGRS on their maps or not.    hunt gps

Basic Topomaps 7.5 minute or 15 minute series maps are free to download from the USGS site.

usgs maps

As near as I can figure it, if you go to the national maps download center linked on the USGS site, you get topo lines overlayed on a photographic base.  Nice, but larger files - close to 25MB.

If you go to the historic maps link, that has top maps up through 2006 in the traditional topo map format, much smaller files. - 10- 11MB.

I have a 24x36 plotter, so I just download them and print them if I need to.  Otherwise you'd have to mail them to kinkos or someplace to print them full size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top