Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2017 10:16:14 PM EDT
So I'm in a bit of a pickle. My RPR and my precision AR both wear gen I 3-15 FFP PSTs. They aren't bad scopes, but I am not particularly happy with the clarity and features of either. They are likely going on the EE soon.

Selling both I conservatively plan on getting about $1200 in the gun budget. Selling a few other guns I've been planning on getting rid of puts me in the 2k toward new optics.

Option 1- Put all the money toward either an AMG or HD G2. I have slight preference toward the AMG as the HD G2 is like strapping a brick to your rifle. I'd like to use that glass out west hunting at some point as well. AMG will however likely be a huge wait to get one with my .mil discount.

The problem is that leaves me with no glass for my precision AR for at least 6-12 mo until I can build up some funds for a 3-15 gen II PST.

Option 2 - go Razor gen 1 for the RPR, which is still really nice glass compared to the gen 1 PST, a good bit lighter than the HD gen2 and still have some funds left over for a new gen II PST for the AR.

Any opinions for the folks who have handled all 3 pieces of glass?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not looked behind an AMG but have heard reports that they are very similar clarity wise to the gen 2 Razor. I have looked st everything else you mentioned and my thoughts are:

The difference in clarity between the gen 2 razor and gen 1 razor was significantly more than the difference between the gen 1 razor and gen 2 PST. The gen 1 PST (especially 4-16 model) does not compare to any of the above. I've never been a fan of the gen 1 Razor and hated using it when I had it.

I think the Gen 2s (both Razor and PST) are superior optics at their price points relative to their older models.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't comment on comparison between those listed, however I have been very impressed with my AMG. You may consider purchasing a QD mount and swapping back and forth until you save enough for another optic.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

AMG will however likely be a huge wait to get one with my .mil discount.
View Quote
Yeah I'm guessing it will be a very long wait, but you can find them for at, or even less than, the MIL discount used in the EE (or even better chances on the other forum for snipers). I found a BNIB Razor G2 for less than the MIL price there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top