Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 8:11:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather]
Got an ATACR 5-25 F1 MIL-C today.

Adjust the magnification and the reticle jumps horizontally.

I didn't notice it until I had already mounted it.

That is all.

ETA:

Had a long talk with a Nightforce guy this morning.  He explained how the scope works (yo no entiende) and that the reticle moving is like that is something you sometimes have with a front focal plane scope.  

He told me to go shoot it, and said it would track and return to zero fine.  

I'm going to do a box test and spin it out to 1K and back and see how it does.

ETA 2:

The whole image shifts when the magnification is adjusted, not just the reticle.  I went out and shot shot it, it performed fine but I was only able to do a box test that was 1.5 mils from center.  

I shot 42 rounds, I shot almost every shot at a different magnification and turned the mag adjustment and dials all around between most every shot.  It shot the box perfect with three of the six groups having all shots touching, five were well under 1 MOA, the second to last I opened up to exactly 1 MOA.  I measured the groups with two ATACR scopes and it tracked perfectly.

I think it's GTG.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#1]
There isn't an issue with the scope holding POI.  That's just how a lot of FFP scopes work, including the NF.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:04:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By phlegm:
There isn't an issue with the scope holding POI.  That's just how a lot of FFP scopes work, including the NF.  
View Quote
No, that is not how it should work, the reticle shouldn't move in any direction unless the turrets are turned.

That sucks op, a guy can piss away an hour or getting a new scope mounted just right.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm waiting on Nightforce to call me back.  Some people are telling me it's ok, it'll shoot fine.  My 4-16 ATACR doesnt do it, I looked throught a Vortex Gen 2 and another ATACR F1 that don't do it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I just checked my Vortex and Athlon Cronus. Both FFP and I don't notice the reticle movement you've described.

Definitely do a track test and let us know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#5]
Originally Posted By samuse:
Got an ATACR 5-25 F1 MIL-C today.

Adjust the magnification and the reticle jumps horizontally.

Had a long talk with a Nightforce guy this morning.  He explained how the scope works (yo no entiende) and that the reticle moving is like that is something you sometimes have with a front focal plane scope.  

He told me to go shoot it, and said it would track and return to zero fine.  

I'm going to do a box test and spin it out to 1K and back and see how it does.
View Quote
WHAT!?  Reticles "jumping" when you adjust mag level?

I have owned 4 different brands of FFP scopes, none of them did anything like that. How the fuck can you trust a scope that has the reticle move when you adjust anything other than the turrets.

What if it "jumps" at 15x and I am shooting at 15x , at what point in the "jump" will the reticle be on the first shot, how about the second shot?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 3:36:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fsjdw2] [#6]
If I'm understanding this correctly. You zero at say 100 yards at 5X magnification, cross hairs on middle of a 4 inch target; then you zoom into a 25X zoom still at 100 so you can see your target square(vs entire target) and the reticle  jumps to the left (or right) a perceptible amount? I would simply assume that the scope is busted, you literally just moved the cross hairs off of zero.  so fire 5 shots, then zoom out to 5X agains and fire 5...  wouldn't that PROVE the issue?

None of my 3 FFP scopes jump the reticle when I zoom, granted the reticle will get bigger and smaller but that is the point(so a 1 mil dot stays 3.6 inches at 4x and same at 16 X).  Ive got 3 Weaver, PA, and Vortex, all are calculatable FFP precise reticles. For what a Night force costs it ought to load the gun, and fetch the danm target, and post a new clean one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember there being a thread on the Hide about this and the scopes tracked as they should.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
If I'm understanding this correctly. You zero at say 100 yards at 5X magnification, cross hairs on middle of a 4 inch target; then you zoom into a 25X zoom still at 100 so you can see your target square(vs entire target) and the reticle  jumps to the left (or right) a perceptible amount? I would simply assume that the scope is busted, you literally just moved the cross hairs off of zero.  so fire 5 shots, then zoom out to 5X agains and fire 5...  wouldn't that PROVE the issue?

None of my 3 FFP scopes jump the reticle when I zoom, granted the reticle will get bigger and smaller but that is the point(so a 1 mil dot stays 3.6 inches at 4x and same at 16 X).  Ive got 3 Weaver, PA, and Vortex, all are calculatable FFP precise reticles. For what a Night force costs it ought to load the gun, and fetch the danm target, and post a new clean one.
View Quote
This is what I would do, maybe the NF guy assumed you were dumb and meant that the reticle was getting bigger with magnification change, they talked to me like I was dumb at SHOT, until I proved otherwise. If your zero actually moves shooting at different magnifications, send it back. Tracking correctly is great, but if the magnification ring moves zero, the scope is useless IMO.

If you can get a video of the issue that would be nice too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Any way we can get a video of this? Very intriguing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
The reticle in my Vortex pst 5-25 ffp does not do this when I adjust magnification, something is not right.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I can shoot a 5 round group, at 5 different mag settings, turning the knobs and mag ring all around between shots, and can still keep it sub-moa.   I think it's ok.   The Nightforce guy was definitely understanding what I was talking about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top