Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2017 1:07:41 AM EDT
Trying to decide on these 2? I know BC is the old go to but I've confirmed that the Defenders fit my exact scope perfectly, from another user that has same model. Just wondering if they are the same thickness as the Butler?

My objective OD is 2.6" and ocular OD is 1.8". Looks like BC largest flip cap is 2.5"?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#1]
I have a pair of both and haven't broken either (yet!).  The Vortex Defenders feel more durable.  AND, another "advantage" of the Vortex is that you can spend more money on dope disks if you're into that kind of thing...    (short YouTube comparison video)

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#2]
See if Aadland makes caps for your application.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AWDeity:
See if Aadland makes caps for your application.
View Quote
They do. Just not paying $100 for scope caps.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Then you'll probably buy them again and again. There's a reason the AADland caps are pricey.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote goes to the Vortex Defender caps. I have two sets and I love em!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My vote goes to Butler Creek. I just took Defenders off my CMP service rifle because the spongy collar doesn't hold well. When you flip them open the whole cap moves, especiallyout in the sun when they warm up. The Butler cap hold solid. Yes, the Defenders feel more beefy, but I don't want my cap coming half way off every time I try to open it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:10:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#7]
My take.

Top of the line, go-be-poor-somewhere-else
- Aadland.  Not cheap, but neither are my good scopes, and these things are tough, and I haven't had a problem with ANY of the numerous Aadland caps I have.

Between Vortex Defender vs Butler Creek, it depends on what size you need and here's why:

If both have a size that's a very close fit, use whichever you prefer.

If the closest fit is slightly undersized, go Defender. The reason is that the Defender caps have a rubber sock with a plastic ring and cap. The cap snaps onto the plastic ring.

The BC caps have a plastic cap and a molded rubber sock+ring. If it's undersized you can stretch it over the scope end to fit, but the ring the cap snaps on gets distorted and will pop open on its own after a while, defeating the purpose of having scope caps. The Defenders with the plastic ring don't do that.

Better to have it slightly loose and use a little tape for a snug fit.

For the 'pretty' snowflakes who worry about keeping their stuff pristine, stuff that gets used, gets wear, that's life. Tape residue comes off easily with a rag with a little Goo Gone or Zippo lighter fluid. Or you can apply the tape to the inside of the scope cap.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
My take.

Top of the line, go-be-poor-somewhere-else
- Aadland.  Not cheap, but neither are my good scopes, and these things are tough, and I haven't had a problem with ANY of the numerous Aadland caps I have.

Between Vortex Defender vs Butler Creek, it depends on what size you need and here's why:

If both have a size that's a very close fit, use whichever you prefer.

If the closest fit is slightly undersized, go Defender. The reason is that the Defender caps have a rubber sock with a plastic ring and cap. The cap snaps onto the plastic ring.

The BC caps have a plastic cap and a molded rubber sock+ring. If it's undersized you can stretch it over the scope end to fit, but the ring the cap snaps on gets distorted and will pop open on its own after a while, defeating the purpose of having scope caps. The Defenders with the plastic ring don't do that.

Better to have it slightly loose and use a little tape for a snug fit.

For the 'pretty' snowflakes who worry about keeping their stuff pristine, stuff that gets used, gets wear, that's life. Tape residue comes off easily with a rag with a little Goo Gone or Zippo lighter fluid. Or you can apply the tape to the inside of the scope cap.
View Quote
Don't use my line. I just spent almost 4 grand getting my 6.5C, scope and setup. But I'm not going to spend $100 on scope caps without at least trying the $20 option that has worked for years by professionals. Seems common sense to me.

The question I have on the BC is they don't offer an exact size for my scope. My objective is 2.6". The largest BC is like 2.5" I think. Just going to have to try and see.

Does anyone know if the Defenders and Butlers are the same thickness? Don't want something so thick that it interfere with scope / barrel clearance.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I've broken 10+ BC caps and haven't broken any Defenders.  Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
...Does anyone know if the Defenders and Butlers are the same thickness?...
View Quote
No they're not.  I have 1 example of each...  the BC increases my objective OD by 0.17" (1.95 up to 2.12) while the VD increases my objective OD by 0.25" (1.86 up to 2.11).
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone having fitment issues, wrap a piece of black electrical tape around your objective, or the inside of the cap, for a snugger fit
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Anyone having fitment issues, wrap a piece of black electrical tape around your objective, or the inside of the cap, for a snugger fit
View Quote
Any tape should work.  I used a rather thick layer (think 1-4"-1/2") of camo duct tape on the objective side of my TA33 so I could get a Vortex Defender to fit.  This was after breaking 3-4 BC caps.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Tough decision but based on the replies here and knowing the Defenders fit my particular scope well, I'll give the Vortex a shot.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:28:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#14]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
View Quote
Nothing worse than tape wrapped around shit that sits in the sun....gooooooey

I was butt hurt about my Defender cap on one of my scopes fitting too loose. I wrapped the scope with camoform. Wrapped the outside of the loose Defender cap and that has worked great. 

Next scope I went Defender for the objective and ButlerCreek for the ocular because their measurements best matched that way. Loose caps suck.

The Defenders go to 66mm as well, should workfine. Seems like my IOR is 2.600" and I have a Defender on it.

66mm=2.598"

BC

Defender
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep, mind is made up. Just ordered the Vortex.

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:37:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#18]
For those reading this thread with Leupold scopes, strongly consider their all metal fold flat screw in Alumina caps.  Very well made and effective.  Available for most models with threaded objectves and occulars.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MS556:
For those reading this thread with Leupold scopes, strongly consider their all metal fold flat screw in Alumina caps.  Very well made and effective.  Available for most models with threaded objectves and occulars.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Mobile%20Uploads/70CE5D32-9C17-47F1-B6E0-FCF282B173F8_zpstlybdagi.jpg
View Quote
Yeah I have those on my Mark4, they are very nice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the Defenders. I've only had experience with Butler in the past. The eyepiece Vortex cap took some finagling to get it on right and closed, but they are awesome. Very solid but still easy to open and close. They arent the best looking on my scope, but they work great.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Trying to decide on these 2? I know BC is the old go to but I've confirmed that the Defenders fit my exact scope perfectly, from another user that has same model. Just wondering if they are the same thickness as the Butler?

My objective OD is 2.6" and ocular OD is 1.8". Looks like BC largest flip cap is 2.5"?
View Quote

Vortex for sure. More durable in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#22]
... And I just added a third set of Vortex Defenders. Soon to add three more sets. You won't be disappointed with Vortex Defenders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top