Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2017 11:43:50 AM EDT
I was about to get a Razor G2 then saw the AMG on their website.  Now I'm torn.   This is to used mainly for long range shooting, not so much hunting or anything like that.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
if its just for the range then get the razor. plenty of almost new used ones floating around now for good deals
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I own both.

I think there is a slight, but discernible difference in the light transmission favoring the HD Gen II due to the 34mm tube and 56mm objective (vs 30mm and 50mm, respectively).

While the are both essentially the same length, the HD AMG does save weight and feel smaller simply because of the smaller diameter tube and objective.

I think the Razor HD AMG gets a slight edge because of the weight savings and a slightly better windage adjustment range than the Razor Gen II. I also prefer the EBR-7 reticle over the EBR-2C.

But if you need a full rev indicator on the elevation, don't have weight requirements, want maximum light transmission, and/or want the extra 3x max magnification, then go Razor HD Gen II.

A quick reference to the color, I actually like that weird bronze desert color of the Razor HD Gen II, but I'm not factoring in color/finish of the scope in the decision.

Note: I have a short table of the differences between the two here: https://www.ocabj.net/precision-rifle-project-series-savage-10fp-part-4/
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the great comparisons.   It was a tough decision but I went with the AMG (MRAD).  Dealer says I should get it in 30-45 days.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By burntcrispy:
Thanks for the great comparisons.   It was a tough decision but I went with the AMG (MRAD).  Dealer says I should get it in 30-45 days.
View Quote
FYI: The Razor HD AMG comes with Defender scope caps, so no need to order flip-ups, unless you prefer some other types of caps / covers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ocabj:

FYI: The Razor HD AMG comes with Defender scope caps, so no need to order flip-ups, unless you prefer some other types of caps / covers.
View Quote
I saw that.  The defenders are awesome.  I have a set on a bolt gun with some DOPE in the front cap.  Really impressed with them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Just my $.02, and I know you said you were looking at Vortex, but perhaps check out a company called Athlon Optics.  A sniper buddy of mine recently turned me on to them and I love their scopes.  Similar in price and quality to Vortex.  I have an Ares and an Argos.  Most are FFP and are available in many different configurations as far as magnification and MOA/mRad.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Good deal. You will enjoy the scope. Couldn't really make a bad choice between the two. Just comes down to features.

Here's what it will look like when it shows up.

http://i.imgur.com/aQhzGgt.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burntcrispy:
Good deal. You will enjoy the scope. Couldn't really make a bad choice between the two. Just comes down to features.

Here's what it will look like when it shows up.

http://i.imgur.com/aQhzGgt.jpg
i need to find one
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Pulled the trigger on a new used off the hide . Mil/mil .
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone use an AMG on a hunting setup?  I'm considering one for an elk rig.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm really hoping to pick up a HD AMG at the end of the year, looks like an amazing optic.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 6:47:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#16]
Originally Posted By samson7x:
Anyone use an AMG on a hunting setup?  I'm considering one for an elk rig.
View Quote
the one i just bought is going on a 28 nosler hunting rifle.

vortex designed this scope with the hunter in mind. its a smaller and lighter package then the gen 2 razor, but similar features and top quality.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

vortex designed this scope with the hunter in mind. its a smaller and lighter package then the gen 2 razor, but similar features and top quality.
View Quote
Awesome, I'm starting to lean in that direction. I've also considered the pst gen II, bushnell lrts, and NF shv, but the AMG just seems like a much better choice. I may just have to sell a few things and go for it.

Just got my barreled action back from LRI and mounted in a McMillan carbon stock so I'm itching to finish the build.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome, I'm starting to lean in that direction. I've also considered the pst gen II, bushnell lrts, and NF shv, but the AMG just seems like a much better choice. I may just have to sell a few things and go for it.

Just got my barreled action back from LRI and mounted in a McMillan carbon stock so I'm itching to finish the build.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikerman9967:

my build is very similar
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I just received my amg. Talk about a perfect hunting optic , wow. Litteraly everything you could ask for is in this thing . Great job vortex
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By VortexSam:
Humble brag pics 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/149441/86549.JPG
View Quote
Gorgeous animal. What did it score?  Where were you?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#23]
My HD AMG should be in soon.  I'm mounting it on an AR 10 in .260 Rem.

I'm thinking about putting it in a Spuhr 3016.  What do you guys think?  Any other options I should consider.  

With the Spuhr are you able to see the bubble while maintaining a cheek wield?  All of my other bubbles are on the left side of the optic and can easily be seen, I'm not sure about the bubble being on the bottom of the mount.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: burntcrispy] [#25]

The Spuhr would work if you wanted to spend that much on it. Might want to get the 20 MOA version if you are getting one as it won't hurt having it with the AMG unless you already have 20 MOA in the upper receiver of the AR.

I can see the level on my bolt gun with the Spuhr but it would depend on the stock you have on the AR as it might be tougher if it's raised up some. If you like the side mounted then you can go with the Vortex mount and level and save about $200.

https://swfa.com/vortex-precision-extended-cantilever-30mm-mount-2.html
https://swfa.com/vortex-30mm-lo-pro-bubble-level.html
View Quote
Do you know who makes these for Vortex?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#26]
The more I think of it the more I realize I need a 20MOA mount since the rail is zero MOA.  Anyone ever use LaRue LT745.  It is a cantelevered mount with 20 moa.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:28:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#27]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Thx Rob.  I figured it ot by some google-fu.  I bought that 20 MOA Vortex rail and will put a bubble on it.  I'll post a pic when my optic comes in.  I'm hoping for greatness out of this gas gun.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UM-Iceman] [#31]
AMG at SWFA - 10% off and free shipping.  4 left.

Vortex AMG

(code in the banner at top of site)
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I can't tell you how many scopes I've bought and sold looking for the perfect crossover hunting / long range target scope. In a perfect world I would have an AMG at around 20oz and it would have a magnifcation range of 4-16 or 4-18. How do you guys feel using 6x for movers under 100 yards?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By WarNerve:
I can't tell you how many scopes I've bought and sold looking for the perfect crossover hunting / long range target scope. In a perfect world I would have an AMG at around 20oz and it would have a magnifcation range of 4-16 or 4-18. How do you guys feel using 6x for movers under 100 yards?
View Quote
I've shot a Texas star with my razor gen2 on 6x zoom with zero issues. The course was 100-500 yards and I stayed on 6x the whole time and it was very comfortable.

The 10% discount posted is killer, I wish I could have gotten in on that since I don't even need this optic for a couple months, I just wanted to grab it up since everyone says they're so hard to find. It's an amazing optic though, just buy it already.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top