Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2017 10:36:02 PM EDT
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most of you guys use long range scopes with MRAD adjustments. However, I learned on Vortex MOA PST scopes and it's what I would like to stick with.

Been looking hard for the right scope for my new 6.5C. Was trying to keep the budget around $1800. I've found the Gen II Razor for $2200.

Looking for mag magnification to be at least 24x and want 56mm objective. FFP of course and illumination.

Right now, I'm very much leaning towards the Athlon Cronus. Would never buy a lower end Athlon, but there are about a dozen reviews out there on the Cronus and they have all been extremely positive. Several that own Gen II Razors say that the glass on the Cronus is every bit as good. The Cronus is Japanese glass and made.

But I don't want to regret not saving up a bit more.

Just curious if there is anything else I'm not considering that I should be.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:52:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#1]
There are plenty of low end Athlon reviews that are nothing but praise too. Look for people who actually did tracking tests.

Personally I ignore all the "clear glass" claims, they are subjective and meaningless to me. Many cheaper scopes these days have good glass. 

MOA or Mil, you really don't have anything different  to learn, they work the same so I wouldn't limit myself based on that. 
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
There are plenty of low end Athlon reviews that are nothing but praise too. Look for people who actually did tracking tests.

Personally I ignore all the "clear glass" claims, they are subjective and meaningless to me. Many cheaper scopes these days have good glass. 

MOA or Mil, you really don't have anything different  to learn, they work the same so I wouldn't limit myself based on that. 
View Quote
All good points. I've seen 2 bad reviews on the lower end Athlon tracking. But that still isn't terrible, even high end scopes have a few lemons now and then.

The only good glass comments I've taken seriously are from folks that owned a Razor or NF to compare to.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The new Sig optics offer MOA adjustments in the Tango 4 & 6.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't go wrong with a Sightron SIII.  You can get any reticle you want: MOA, MH(mrad), Mildot, Cross hairs, whatever.  Great glass and competitive optical quality with much more expensive scopes.  It's what I use for benchrest.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Vortex PST 6-24X - 50mm illuminated Gen 1 scope for my RPR 308 rifle and am very happy with it. I put it in Vortex High Tactical Rings, they were perfect and didn't need any lapping. This is my second Vortex scope. The first was a 5-15X made especially for Midway. Both scopes have been just excellent. They hold their zero and track great.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I found the Athlon Cronus 4.5-27x56 for $1500. Best glass I've personally seen other than ATACR. So far I'm loving it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:33:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jaoeyp] [#7]
The new Conquest V6 from Zeiss are MOA scopes.  Should be right in the price range you're looking at.  They haven't shipped all of the models yet so reviews aren't out there yet.  But,  I think they're all 2nd focal plane and 50mm objective.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Nightforce makes everything in MOA.

I shot MOA for a long time, thought it was easier because I already knew it, blah blah blah.  

First time I used a MIL/MIL scope I sold all my MOS stuff and never went back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top