Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2017 3:54:06 PM EDT
I'm looking to get a new scope going out to 1,000 yards on steel. I have the current deals available to me from a friend. These are all new and never mounted. Unfortunately I don't have a chance to handle any of them so I'm hoping to get advice from anyone that owns them here. Money is a concern, spending a little more or less if deserving makes sense for me.

Viper PST Gen II   5-25x50   for $850
Razor HD GEN I   5-20x50   for $1,200
Bushnell LRTSi   4.5-18x44    for $1,050
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I am def leaning that direction. I really want a Razor Gen II, but just can't justify it at this point.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:35:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#3]
John;

At the risk of throwing a monkey wrench into the works - have you considered a fixed power optic?  I really like the elegant simplicity of a fixed power optic with a simple mil scale reticle (with matching mrad turrets).  In addition, because of their optical simplicity, their clarity is usually excellent, light transmission is good, exit pupils are generous, and costs aren't so bad either...  while fixed optics with simple reticles are perhaps not as glamorous as 5x zoom optics with complicated reticles, I have really come to love them...  

disclaimer: I don't shoot competitions.  I am also new to the precision / distance shooting game...  I am working up to honing my skills to take woodchuck out to a maximum range of about 600 meters
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Reorx, I appreciate the reply brother. I contemplated this. I have a fixed 10x SWFA SS and love it, but my eyes aren't the best. I know the veritable power will cost x5 as much for the same fixed, but I'm thinking I'll do that much better with good quality and more zoom than I will with great quality at x10. That said I will most likely only have it maxed out anyway, do they make higher than x12-14 and fixed? My goal is to be able to zap a beer can at 1,000 on a cold bore . Might take I while but with time and practice I think it can be done.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#5]
John;

SWFA fixed power optics come in 6x, 10x, 12x, 16x, & 20x although conventional wisdom seems to suggest that it is probably wise not to exceeding 16x.

That cold bore beer can @ 1,000+ yds is a TiborasaurusRex trick and perhaps not something you should expect to do with any regularity unless you have mad skills and have mastered the subtleties of correcting for wind, spin drift, Coriolis effect, temperature, etc.  Definitely beyond my abilities...

The guys in LRSU have the 1,000 yard milk jug challenge and the 1 mile milk jug challenge where the objective is to hit a milk jug in 10 or less shots...  HERE, the shooter pops a milk jug at a mile (7th shot) using a .308 with a 12x SWFA scope!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been watching t-Rex, that shot was fantastic. I like to set high goals to work towards. Never saw that milk jug one, very cool!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
...That whole you tube beer can stuff is fun to watch but not what you should be striving for as it's quite a bit of luck added in.
View Quote
Rex admitted this in another video years later...  The location where that video was shot was his old stomping grounds and he is very familiar with the lay of the land and the wind patterns...  he admits to having put thousands of rounds downrange at that location...  that particular day, conditions were essentially perfect with only a little wind.  And, of course, he was shooting a .338 Lapua mag...

Even the guys of LRSU acknowledge the rarity of a 1,000 yard cold bore hit on a milk jug and arguably, they are some very skilled shooters - at least some of which have rather large-ish shooting budgets!...
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Razor by a mile.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#11]
When I said I think it can be done, I meant it is possible. I don't expect to get there anytime soon , but my point is that while I think there is a lot of validity in the fixed power argument, a variable high power will suit my needs better.

Seems there's still a lot of love for the Gen I Razor. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JohnsMyName:
I'm looking to get a new scope going out to 1,000 yards on steel. I have the current deals available to me from a friend. These are all new and never mounted. Unfortunately I don't have a chance to handle any of them so I'm hoping to get advice from anyone that owns them here. Money is a concern, spending a little more or less if deserving makes sense for me.

Viper PST Gen II   5-25x50   for $850
Razor HD GEN I   5-20x50   for $1,200
Bushnell LRTSi   4.5-18x44    for $1,050
View Quote

If you are willing to buy a $1000 scope, id say you have options. the PST and razor are alright....vortex has a good warranty, so thats what you are paying into mostly. Ive had tracking issues with my PST gen 1, and ive never been a huge fan of vortex products, though i think they are a good company, maybe the gen 2's are better.  SWFA is always a good option too, their variable magnifications seem to be as good as the fixed both ive used. never had a problem with swfa, and the glass aint half bad.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Sightron SIII 10-50X60.  Glass approaching the best scopes like Nightforce, March, etc.  Any reticle.  Around $1000
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of those choices, definitely Razor.

But since Sightron was brought up, I'm going with Athlon. Ares or Midas for your price range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top