Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2017 10:57:41 AM EDT
Need advice from the experts. Purchased a new Daniel Defense DD5 V2 and looking for scope. This rifle will be used for hunting, hole punching and maybe some steel targets. I don't have anywhere to shoot over 100yds, yet. Hoping to find a new place to hunt where I can also do some long range plinking, hoping 200yds or so. I have zero experience with long range shooting but want to learn.

Currently looking at Leupold and Vortex 50mm scopes with a LaRue QD mount but I'm not finding any with reticles that I could use for hunting and range shooting. Am I better off buying a decent hunting scope and a separate one for distance shooting that has mil-dot reticles? Trying to keep the budget under $700.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#1]
For under 500 yards on a 11 inch plate a leupold vxr patrol 1.25-4 works great, add a adm recon and your set and under your price range or real close to it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#2]
What is required for hunting. I don't see how any mil hash scope wouldn't work for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, should have been more specific on the hunting part. A lot of the hunting I do is in low light conditions which is why I'm looking at 50mm objective. i can imagine having a very fine reticle being difficult to pick up during low light conditions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:26:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#4]
I see what you're saying. Many scopes have illumination. My IOR has just the center dot illuminated and heavier lines so it easier to pick up in low light at lower power.

Of course a second focal plane scope wont have this problem at low mag levels either.

My SWFA also has heavier lines.

My Mark 4 kind of sucks with thin lines, at low mag level the reticle is nearly useless.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:10:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#5]
I personally like illumination over the heavier crosshairs for shooting at dusk and dawn when you are more likely to see game.

There are all kinds of scope choices....super clear $2k scopes that are great if you got the coin. But if your main purpose is hunting, you don't need to be able to pick-up your bullseye at 1000 yards so a $200 scope will probably reliable and sufficient. And from what I'm reading, you only plan on shooting out to 200 yards... Two scopes for one rifle doesn't make much sense. I doubt you will find yourself swapping scopes because you will find yourself wasting time and ammo to confirm zero each time. Better off building 2 uppers if you two roll specific scopes.

I usually point people to Natchezss.com. They have great sales and clearance prices all the time on all manners of scopes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:37:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#6]
I you are interested in (or can tolerate) a BDC type of reticle, Primary Arms makes a 1-8X and a 4-14X with illuminated reticles which might suit your purposes.  They are in the $300 to $400 range.  The 1 - 8X reticle looks like this (the whole reticle is illuminated) >>>

...and if you like cranking turrets or using Mrad holdoffs, perhaps a SWFA SS 1-4x24 (~$400) which also has an illuminated reticle (red in the image below )>>>

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:40:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#7]
The best single option that comes to mind is Bushnell Elite Tactical Hunter 4.5-18x44mm. They're about a grand and optically brilliant. I had a chance to use one at an optics show before a match. Great turrets, great glass, illuminated reticle and the turrets are finger adjustable but they're really low so you don't get all the snag issues of tall target turrets. They're every bit as good as their other Elite Tactical scopes.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-elite-tactical-hunter-4-5-18x44mm-riflescope.html Works as perfectly at long range precision work as it does hunting and it's high quality enough you'll never NEED any better optic.

NOTE: This isn't a scope I own or a brand I prefer or what I think of as "the best" scope around for doing everything. It just seems like the right one for your specific use case.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer illumination over heavy crosshairs.  I've been very pleased with Vortex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top