Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2017 3:58:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT]
I'm wondering if anyone has their hands on one yet to share their thoughts, or even the non-LRP VX-3i to comment on the optical quality? ETA: Leupold CS says the LRP won't begin to ship until May or June, so I may have jumped the gun a little.

The LRP series was recently added to Leupold's Tactical line, and apparently they are using essentially the same glass as the hunting line VX-3i inside a new 30mm body with tactical reticles, side focus, target turrets, a throw lever, almost double the internal adjustment range, and a few FFP versions compared to the original line. I don't own a regular VX-3i to compare to anything else I have, but I'm assuming it's "lower middle class" as far as Leupold glass goes. Is that true?

Here's my real question - I'm leaning towards the 4.5-14x50 SFP TMOA over an SHV 4-14x56 SFP MOAR for a compact precision rifle that may see occasional hunting use. I don't plan to shoot this rig beyond 800 yards, and I found them both online for virtually the same price. Am I crazy for considering a $900 Leupold over a $900 NightForce? None of my local dealers carry both VX-3i's and SHVs so I can't compare glass side by side myself before buying, but on paper, the LRP is 2" shorter, 10oz lighter, and has 10% more adjustment range than the SHV... so can anyone talk me out of it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Still the same outdated optical designs, now with retardedly large turrets. The "LRP" models look like lipstick on a very old pig.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone has to keep Leupold in business..

Their 'new' LRP is a joke when compared to the offerings from Vortex,  Burris, Bushnell and even Athlon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:00:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By m6z:
Someone has to keep Leupold in business..

Their 'new' LRP is a joke when compared to the offerings from Vortex,  Burris, Bushnell and even Athlon.
View Quote

Please elaborate...

I've had issues with every single Burris scope I've ever owned including XTRs and XTRIIs, so I won't buy another. Meanwhile, my Leupold's have all been bombproof, from entry level to mid level.

What offerings does Bushnell and Vortex offer that comes with the same features, better glass and a similar price point? I'm genuinely curious because I can't seem to find anything appealing from either of those brands below a ~$1,300 price point?
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpikeDiesel] [#4]
The new LRP is part of the vx3i line and it is my understanding that the vx3i shares most parts with the mark 4 (I own a vx3i 4.5-14x50 sf and a mark 4 lr/t in the same power, turrets aside they are identical)  I'd say with the optical quality the FFP option and awesome reticle choices, they compare very well with the current offerings from the competition.  The huge turret is terrible but as said by leupold is geared toward the new long range shooter.  like all leupolds the turret can most likely be changed.  Don't buy into the internet gossip of "outdated technology" these new scopes have matching turret/reticle combos and you can buy either FFP or SFP.  I own many different high end scopes and will run my leupolds against any of them at the same price point. To the OP.....buy leupold with confidence, great warranty, great customer service, and a custom shop that will do anything to your scope you can imagine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
At times there many options, however theirs something to be said for cutting edge optics, the latest turrets, etc. Theirs also something to be said for known companies with long standings, warranty that will work for many years.

We're lucky right now to have a mix of both.  I personally feel you could hate on either camp but at the end of the day, it's of little value.  We have a lot of options in scopes, much, much more than 10-15 years ago.  It's a good time for the consumer and a harder time for the producers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By SpikeDiesel:
The new LRP is part of the vx3i line and it is my understanding that the vx3i shares most parts with the mark 4 (I own a vx3i 4.5-14x50 sf and a mark 4 lr/t in the same power, turrets aside they are identical)  I'd say with the optical quality the FFP option and awesome reticle choices, they compare very well with the current offerings from the competition.  The huge turret is terrible but as said by leupold is geared toward the new long range shooter.  like all leupolds the turret can most likely be changed.  Don't buy into the internet gossip of "outdated technology" these new scopes have matching turret/reticle combos and you can buy either FFP or SFP.  I own many different high end scopes and will run my leupolds against any of them at the same price point. To the OP.....buy leupold with confidence, great warranty, great customer service, and a custom shop that will do anything to your scope you can imagine.
View Quote

Thanks, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. If the glass is even remotely comparable to the Mk4 then I know I will be in good shape.

Yes the elevation turret is tall, but it is a long range precision optic. The idea is that the dial is visible to the shooter without a lot of neck strain or adjusting completely out of firing position to see it. I know I am not the only one who sees value in that. The windage dial can be run capped or uncapped like many others.

I don't get where the "outdated technology" crap comes from. Lets compare the 4.5-14x LRP to the new 3-15x PST Gen II:
The PSTII is $100 more (comparing SFP to SFP) and is 2" longer, and half a pound heavier.
The LRP has 35 MOA more internal elevation adjustment and 70 MOA more internal windage adjustment Than the PSTII.
The PSTII has illumination and a broader magnification range, the LRP has slightly better eye relief and a larger objective.
The LRP has a nice throw lever while the PSTII subjectively has cleaner turret design, though both feature zero stop and there's no doubt the LRP elevation turret is more visible.
Both have similar reticle options, side focus, 30mm tubes, stellar warranties and customer service backing them, and are probably similar in build quality and overall construction.

Seems like it's a matter of preference and use, rather than one being "outdated junk" and worse than the other.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:49:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erud] [#7]
I don't think you're crazy for considering a Leupold LRP over a Nightforce SHF.  For some reason people can't get past the 3x magnification range in these, I'm pretty sure that's the "outdated" technology guys like Lenny are referring to.  If a scope doesn't have at least 5x range these days, it's mostly considered a relic and/or junk, regardless of whether the feature adds practical value or not.   Leupold's 3x range scopes have always been solid, and tweaking them into the LRP instead of doing a complete re-design helps to meet the targeted price point.  They have other lines like the VX6, Mk6 and Mk8 if someone wants something more modern for more money.  The VX3i's are good scopes for the price, and I expect that the LRP's will be as well.  And anyways, the Nightforce SHV's cost what they do because they built them to that price point.  It isn't like they just took an NXS, put it in a different box and cut $1500 off the price. You are getting a $900 scope for $900.  On a slightly related note, I had 2 different Vortex PST's that failed, were replaced, and were then sold.  Great warranty, but man does it get used.  I have never heard of any other company needing to replace as many scopes as Vortex does.  I wouldn't buy another one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Well said erud! Some great points to consider there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Agree with the above about Vortex.  Never again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:

Please elaborate...

I've had issues with every single Burris scope I've ever owned including XTRs and XTRIIs, so I won't buy another. Meanwhile, my Leupold's have all been bombproof, from entry level to mid level.

What offerings does Bushnell and Vortex offer that comes with the same features, better glass and a similar price point? I'm genuinely curious because I can't seem to find anything appealing from either of those brands below a ~$1,300 price point?
View Quote
I'm moved away from Vortex, just because I found Kahles to have features I prefer.  

The PST Gen II looks very promising at the price point.  The MK8 looks good, but the price point is laughable.   Leupold is out of touch with this market. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks all, definitely some things to think about.

I've only owned one Vortex scope and it's still going strong (Gen 1 PST 1-4x) but it hasn't seen much use, either. I'm a little concerned about Vortex hearing about all the issues with them... that's exactly how my experience has been with Burris and their XTR and XTR II series'... great scopes, if they work. And if they work, it's a question of for how long. I own four Leupolds in the $300-$500 price range, and none have had the slightest issue.

So... Maybe the LRP is outdated, but maybe that's why I like it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 9:24:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j97531] [#12]
I was able to compare a SHV F1 side by side at 1200 with a Leupold MKIV 4.5-14 and VX5HD 3-15.  The VX5 had the best glass overall and almost no tunnel effect even at low magnification.  The SHV had less contrast and less accurate colors but the resolution  I matched the VX5HD and the CA control was better albeit brighter had any with your head in the right spot. MK4  The glass was noticably behind the SHV and the VX5HD and the side parallax knob was super loose.  With that said I did not feel the MKIV glass would limit me for long range steel.  I ordered a LRP 6.5-20 CCH FFP to try, with Optics Planet discount and gift card it's about $750.  The vortex gen II reports I have seen are bad on QC.  My experience looking through them on a 1200 yard range is to buy a razor gen ii, but I have not seen a post gen 2 yet.  The SHV F1 is a great scope, the reticle is a little thick at max power and that is my only real gripe. The small plates at 1k and 1.2K would be covered by the cross hairs.  If I could buy the F1 with a SFP reticle I would have--the SFP models have a different elevation turret.

I will have to see if the CCH is too thick when it shows up but I anticipate using it most of the time on 15x or so.

Not sure if you have already made your decision OP but hope this helps someone.

ETA: Machined and assembled in USA and a reputation that you will likely not need the warranty made me buy my first Leupold.  Also specs are almost identical to the equivalent MKIV including the erector assembly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
im semi interested in this due to weight. the 4.5-14 is only 20 ounces
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I haven't seen too much on the Leupold LRPs.

I picked up a pair of VX3i LRP 30mm 6.5-20x50 FFP with the TMR reticles but now I'm second guessing myself and over thinking things probably.

Wondering if I could have gotten something better in the price range (give or take a couple hundred). What about those Leupold VX5 HD? I was also looking at the Zeiss Conquest HD5 and a Nightforce SHV.

Most of my shooting is informal paper punching off a picnic table using a bipod or bean bags at a buddy's farm. Occasionally will take the odd coyote and once in a while go deer hunting.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By GregP74:
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I haven't seen too much on the Leupold LRPs.

I picked up a pair of VX3i LRP 30mm 6.5-20x50 FFP with the TMR reticles but now I'm second guessing myself and over thinking things probably.

Wondering if I could have gotten something better in the price range (give or take a couple hundred). What about those Leupold VX5 HD? I was also looking at the Zeiss Conquest HD5 and a Nightforce SHV.

Most of my shooting is informal paper punching off a picnic table using a bipod or bean bags at a buddy's farm. Occasionally will take the odd coyote and once in a while go deer hunting.
View Quote
I have comparison information a few posts up with VX5HD and SHV.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I gave debating on this glass for my .300 win mag. This thread has been helpful. I handled the 6.5-20 at a local store, I thought the glass was super clear and crisp. The throw lever was a nice touch, but the turrets do suck. I'm in the same boat trying to figure out if it's worth the extra cash over a Viper HST /PST 6-24...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top