Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 10:21:37 PM EDT
Hi all!

A Tikka T3 CTR in .308 with my name on it showed up under the Christmas Tree this year! Now I just need to mount an optic on it. I live in North Texas and have a range near me that has a 1,000 yard range and offers classes to teach you how shoot long range, so I'm looking for something that will get me to 1,000 yards and allow me to be halfway competitive if I ever wanted to try a competition out there.
My price range is about $1,500 to $1,600 max for the scope.

My main criteria is that it has be a First Focal Plane scope, with a high end magnification no greater than 25x (on the same token, I'd prefer the low end to no more than 6.5x but I'm flexible on low end power) and preferably a MIL based reticle. Illumination is nice but not a necessity seeing as I doubt I'll be doing much (if any) shooting at night. So hit me with y'all's suggestions!

I've found a Leupold Mark 4 ER/Ts in both 4-14 and 6.5-20 on EuroOptic for well within my price range ($1,279 for 14x and $1,359 for the 20x) and seem to satisfy my criterias very well but I figured I'd get some good opinions on them before I shell out a ton of money.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#1]
https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope-1.html
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, what's your AO or what range?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillT94] [#3]
I'm in Stephenville. My range is Tac Pro Shooting Center out in Mingus on Highway 108.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Figured you might be talking Tac Pro. I'm near DFW, but used to get out that way and down towards Meridian quite a bit. Enjoy the new weapon and scope once you decide on the optic
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
https://swfa.com/optics/browse/riflescopes/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope-1.html
View Quote

This.  Was my first LR scope 4 or 5 years ago.  Been a great one to learn on and still enjoy using it every time I take it and the rifle to the range.  I have found little need for the illumination at the range.  In fact, illuminated reticles are verboten for hunting big game with in Colorado, so it limits me in that regard.  Wouldn't buy this scope w/illumination again.  

Save yourself some bucks and get the non-illuminated version of this scope.  Either way, they are keepers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 11:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#6]
I would go Bushnell DMR II w/ G3 reticle and illumination here.  Mark 4 scopes are seriously outdated and not worth the money.

I have a Vortex Gen II Razor but would be very happy with the Bushnell as well.  I owned an original DMR but sold it to get the Razor and I regret selling it.

The SWFA is nice but a zero stop is very nice to have and I would buy what I wanted without wanting to upgrade in the near future.

If you want a 10% off code at Optics Planet IM Jesse.

I have a T3 CTR as well and love it.  I will be putting a Gen II PST on it when they are released.  My Razor lives on my AIAT.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:14:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PR_addict] [#7]
Jesse will hook you up with 10% or 12% off coupon @ Optic Planet, email him. You can also contact him via Facebook for discount code.

Agree with "Murder Bunny" that Mark 4 is outdated tech. I'm putting together a Mk12 Mod H, but couldn't bring myself to pay $800-$1000 for a Mark 4 just for the sake of being "clone" correct. I ended up with a Night Force 4-14 F1, but changed my mind and keep the NF for my TIKKA CTR.

I ordered the PST Gen 2 1-6 for my Mod Holland instead. 
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:23:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WillT94] [#8]
Hey thanks for y'all's replies and suggestions!

I got a few more questions, for y'all.

First, I found that I can get the Vortex Razor (Gen I) 5-20x50 right around my price range ($1,700 isn't too far away) and it looks good and seems to be well liked. Are there any negatives I should be aware of? I did notice however, that it has a 35-mm tube so that'll make my rings a bit more expensive I imagine (not a deal breaker by any means).

Also, this may be a more subjective question so forgive my ignorance, but is there any particular benefit to some of these "busy" reticles such as Horuses or the EBR-2 on the Vortexes? I generally believe that simpler is better (I love the P3 and P4 reticles on the S&Bs) for stuff like this but if there is a tangible benefit then I'd certainly be willing to change my mind on the issue.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are willing to spend $1700 then I have a lead to send you for a fantastic deal on the Gen I Razor.

They are very good scopes and my friend has one on his 338LM and loves it!
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 1:31:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PR_addict] [#10]
Originally Posted By jlficken:
If you are willing to spend $1700 then I have a lead to send you for a fantastic deal on the Gen I Razor.

They are very good scopes and my friend has one on his 338LM and loves it!
View Quote
Also, 35mm/34mm mount actually cheaper than 30mm since it's not popular. Primary arms still have Geisselle 35/34mm qd mount for half off. Git you some!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for all of y'all's help so far!

Sorry if this next question is off topic in the Optics section but if I wanted to paint the stock of my rifle (it's just the plain, factory stock) to something other than black how would I go about doing that?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 2:50:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PR_addict] [#12]
Originally Posted By WillT94:

Sorry if this next question is off topic in the Optics section but if I wanted to paint the stock of my rifle (it's just the plain, factory stock) to something other than black how would I go about doing that?

Thanks!
View Quote
I prefers "rattle can", they're cheap ($4 at Walmart) and easier to take off or just paint over. I like to use "flat/nonreflective" colors, like these.

Some people like to hang their rifle upside down from the stock, I like to prop mine on bricks that way it's easier to apply patterns camo. You should start out with a Flat Dark Earth (light tan) color as a base so you can better see the top layer colors. Patterns can be whatever you like that's suitable for your area. I've used twigs, grasses, even netting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 3:12:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WillT94:

Thanks!
View Quote

There's a really good video on YouTube that should be helpful for you!

I'm using this method on a 12 gauge in the very near future.

How to DIY Kryptek Looking Camouflage Spraypaint
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I would highly advise a USOptics for that price range.  Their new Bravo line has a 1.8-10 that is essentially a SN3 TPal scope for $1700.

IMO and based on the scopes that I have shot with over the years, you cannot get much better than USO.  They are FFP and built like a brick crap house

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:00:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JCIN] [#15]
For around a grand I would look at the Vortex Gen 2 PST in 5-25 if you can wait till they ship. If not the Bushnell mentioned above is nice as well as the Burris XTRII. Don't skimp on the magnification. Not once have I ever used the low end of any scope on a bolt gun but plenty of times with 2-10 or 3-15 range optics I wished I had more.

The Vortex Gen I Razor is a very nice for what they are going for now. If you are going to $1700 might as well go to $1900-2000 and get the Gen II.

As for painting here is a video I made of painting my RPR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCePdHgi7BE
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:04:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MountainCur] [#16]
Ha that's neat.  I went to kindergarten to third grade in Stephenville and then did fourth grade in Mingus.  We lived on a big ranch in Thurber.  My dad had been a foreman for a buffalo and elk ranch there.  Then we moved to Wyoming.  But it was good times.

As for a scope look at the Vortex gen 1 5-25.  It's a pretty nice starting out rig.  A little heavy but having some weight isn't a bad thing.

If you shop real hard a can find some really good deals on some other scopes too.  I saw a few weeks ago a guy selling a USO for 1700 and I'm totally in love with my USO.  Great glass.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MountainCur:
Ha that's neat.  I went to kindergarten to third grade in Stephenville and then did fourth grade in Mingus.  We lived on a big ranch in Thurber.  My dad had been a foreman for a buffalo and elk ranch there.  Then we moved to Wyoming.  But it was good times.

As for a scope look at the Vortex gen 1 5-25.  It's a pretty nice starting out rig.  A little heavy but having some weight isn't a bad thing.

If you shop real hard a can find some really good deals on some other scopes too.  I saw a few weeks ago a guy selling a USO for 1700 and I'm totally in love with my USO.  Great glass.
View Quote

I love the Stephenville area, it's home until I graduate from Tarleton and go for my masters degree elsewhere. And Thanks for the info, I'll definitely keep an eye out! Though, I am still holding onto the irrational hope that a lightly used Schmidt and Bender PM-II will fall into my lap for less than $2,000.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top