Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2016 9:50:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rottie45]
Just purchased a NIB RPR Gen2 in 6.5 CM............I am looking at buying a new scope.............I will be shooting steel @100-1,000yrds.
What is a better deal...........Vortex Razor HD Gen1 5-20X50mm , Razor HD Gen2 3-18x50mm or IOR Valdada 3.5-18x50mm FFP?
I would like to keep it @ $2200

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#1]
If you are okay with a Christmas Tree style MOA reticle the Gen II Razor at MHSA would be hard to pass up.  

I am not an IOR fan after owning a few.  I never had one fail but I just didn't trust them.

I have the 3-18 Gen II Razor on my AIAT but on the RPR you may consider looking for a deal on a 4.5-27 Gen II Razor since you need to use 1.5" rings anyway so the 56mm objective wouldn't be a big deal.

ETA: Another option might be the Gen I Razor with your choice of Spuhr mount for $1699 from MHSA if you are fine with a standard MOA reticle instead of the Christmas Tree style.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with the 4.5-27 Gen II.  It'll look better on a bolt gun and you'll never miss not being able to get below 4.5X.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By samuse:
I'd go with the 4.5-27 Gen II.  It'll look better on a bolt gun and you'll never miss not being able to get below 4.5X.
View Quote

It kind of depends on the rifle though imo.  I prefer to keep rings as low as possible while still maintaining a good cheekweld.

I also had another consideration in my case which was that I have the SAS Covert barrel/suppressor for my AIAT so if I wanted to use a 56mm objective I would have had to went with 1.3"-1.4" rings instead of the 1.1" rings that I am using with the 50mm objective of the 3-18 in order to get clearance.

On his rifle though I would look at the 4.5-27 simply because the won't have those considerations to worry about since he should use 1.4"-1.5" rings anyway.

I think my AT looks good with the 3-18x50mm but I might be biased
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Razor II over the original razor... better glass, better features, better optic overall. If you have a budget around $2200 then get the 4.5-27x56 it is pretty much the same weight and dimensions minus a few moa or mills in adjustment.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've owned/own two of those three. They're all great scopes and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them. Of the three, I'd definitely go with the Razor II though if you can swallow the likely considerable price difference.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:30:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Orbital-Burn] [#7]
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Go with the Razor II 3-18x50. It's a step up from the original Razor with lower profile locking turrets and a better reticle design.

I wouldn't recommend an IOR to my enemies.

Where in CT are you? I can let you look through a Razor and Razor II if you wanted.
View Quote
Why?  

I'm in the market, and This link from the sticky post says Valdada is the best mechanically.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Orbital-Burn:

Why?  

I'm in the market, and This link from the sticky post says Valdada is the best mechanically.
View Quote
I've never owned an IOR so I won't speak to it. Plenty of past users that will though.

I have owned many of the optics in that test and find it misleading at best. Their optical test methods are not remotely representative of actual use. They did their optical testing indoors under artificial light. I understand they did so for consistency but none of the optics would have functioned properly because none were designed (i.e. Coatings) for artificial light. Remember the blue and black vs white and gold dress debate from a few years ago? The type of light has a direct effect on optical performance and the type used in that test would never be used on a riflescope. Unless you're shooting at a short indoor range with a long range optic...

I have tested many of those optics side by side, with the diopters adjusted for my eyes and my results were not even close to theirs.

Their tracking test actually looks ok but the rest of the test was bad enough for me to not take those results into consideration. I trust KSE's results on the scope humbler far more than the prb test.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, haven't been able to find much negative about them other than some customer service issues other places
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an IOR 6-24x56, now at about 4000 rounds of heavy recoiling .308 loads (heavy for a .308) it still works great, tracking is accurate to a small fraction of one percent. It is from 2014 after their known issues I guess. 

My sample size one is pretty meaningless though. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You want to buy an IOR then go for it but many other brands I would take before IOR. Not just Vortex.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orbital-Burn:
Thanks guys, haven't been able to find much negative about them other than some customer service issues other places
You want to buy an IOR then go for it but many other brands I would take before IOR. Not just Vortex.
I have owned a couple of IOR's over the years including the "Snipershide Edition" that they didn't receive permission from Frank to use his name  I didn't know about that fiasco until many years after I sold mine.

Back when they were cheap compared to the higher end brands the risk was worth it.  Now that they cost basically the same though I would never buy one.  Bushnell, Vortex, Nightforce, SWFA, Burris, Bushnell MK6/MK8, Steiner, etc. all make optics that are better overall mechanically, have excellent customer service, and have a very good reputation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top