BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2017 6:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA]

100 yard shooting

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 2:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Knife_Sniper] [#1]
Looks like its worth doing more work with that 77 grain load!

You doing feild shooting off a bipid or using a rear bag too?

Edit: *Doh saw the bag in the photo lol.*

Like the rifles!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Every time I shoot precision type shooting with a rear bag and collapsible stock, it makes me want my fixed back on there.....  I only have 1 rifle exetension and buffer and spring and it's on my Colt A2.  Where it belongs.  But I think I might buy another one to put a fixed stock on my recce.  It just makes shooting for groups easier.  But it does cut down the handiness in other respects.  

Yeah, the 77's have always grouped well in that gun.  I don't get them a lot, so expensive.  But at least it's still got it with the right ammo.  And really, 2 MOA with XM855?  I'm happy with that.  And just over 2 MOA with cheap ammo.  I say that's about what it's supposed to be doing.  I'm sure someone better could tighten them up.  But I'm pleased.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like Racine County Line Rifle Club if I'm not mistaken? Either that or McMiller.
My 16" likes the higher grain weight for precision work. 55 grain will still do about 1.5-2" consistently at 100 yards. I haven't thought about trying it any further out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#4]
For some reason mine doesn't like the 69's.  But it has shot the 68's MOA before.   I was looking recently for past pictures but for some reason I don't have any pics of how well it's done with the 75's but my memory tells me it has done well.  It's been a while since I've bought 75's.  

I really need to start handloading.......

Now if I admitted to you which range it is, I'm supposed to kill somebody.  Or something like that.  LOL.  I have shot at McMiller quite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Can you remind me what that handguard is? It looks just like the old DD M4 rails for the SDM-R rifles, but I heard there was a knockoff floating around as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:
Every time I shoot precision type shooting with a rear bag and collapsible stock, it makes me want my fixed back on there.....  I only have 1 rifle exetension and buffer and spring and it's on my Colt A2.  Where it belongs.  But I think I might buy another one to put a fixed stock on my recce.  It just makes shooting for groups easier.  But it does cut down the handiness in other respects.  

Yeah, the 77's have always grouped well in that gun.  I don't get them a lot, so expensive.  But at least it's still got it with the right ammo.  And really, 2 MOA with XM855?  I'm happy with that.  And just over 2 MOA with cheap ammo.  I say that's about what it's supposed to be doing.  I'm sure someone better could tighten them up.  But I'm pleased.
View Quote
Nice shooting.  The 77 grain load is working well for you.  The vertical dispersion on the XM855 is extremely tight.  Quite surprising.  Are other groups from that lot shooting as well?

I think that handloads worked up for 77 SMKs would go sub MOA.  For strictly 100 yard groups my recce barrel likes flat based Berger Match 52s or 52 SMKs best.  You should consider taking up handloading, as you have a rifle good enough to benefit from load development.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Probably did about as well as your ammo would allow (At least that's what we're gonna go with). Good Job OP!

I'm going shooting in the morning, assuming it doesn't rain. I'll see if I can do better with my Serbian 855 and I'll post up my set up. I don't have any 77grain to play with..

I've found I like my A2 better than any other stock for my precision rifle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

Can you remind me what that handguard is? It looks just like the old DD M4 rails for the SDM-R rifles, but I heard there was a knockoff floating around as well.
View Quote
It's a genuine 9.5 old DD rail.  Built by ADCO.  I think I bought this in 2003.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:42:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#9]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Nice shooting.  The 77 grain load is working well for you.  The vertical dispersion on the XM855 is extremely tight.  Quite surprising.  Are other groups from that lot shooting as well?

I think that handloads worked up for 77 SMKs would go sub MOA.  For strictly 100 yard groups my recce barrel likes flat based Berger Match 52s or 52 SMKs best.  You should consider taking up handloading, as you have a rifle good enough to benefit from load development.
View Quote
I know.  I really should handload.......   I should've done more groups with the M855 cuz I was planning on it being my longer range load if I get to shoot some longer range.  I have way more of it than 77's.  I only have 1 box of that left and I'm probably not buying more.  I'll probably save it for my mag for home defense.  

A lot of people bag on M855, but every time I talk to somebody that has actually BTDT, they say their M4's with M855 were working out to a good poke.  And I think it will buck the wind better than M193.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:47:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#10]
Originally Posted By sublimeshooter:

Probably did about as well as your ammo would allow (At least that's what we're gonna go with). Good Job OP!

I'm going shooting in the morning, assuming it doesn't rain. I'll see if I can do better with my Serbian 855 and I'll post up my set up. I don't have any 77grain to play with..

I've found I like my A2 better than any other stock for my precision rifle.
View Quote
Yeah, last couple days I've been wracking my brain about if I want to try a different stock and buy one.  I like the idea of the CTR.  Because it has the sloping section to put on your bag.  But I bought one once and for some reason I felt like I had to jam my face down on it worse than any other stock.  Like my teeth were coming through my face skin.  But I had a SL and didn't feel like that about it.  I don't know what gives.  I should've kept the SL.  I have a b5 sopmod but sometimes the angle of the buttpad on stocks that do angle bugs me.  I really need to try a real sopmod.  But then I'm thinking the sides will be too big for me.  LOL.  So picky.

On the other hand, I finally found a different grip than an A1 or A2 that I really like.  That MOE is pretty good.  I'd probably like the MIAD too.   Even on that front I think the sweet spot for me would be something thicker front to back than an A1 or A2 but maybe a bit less thick than this.  But all in all, it's really good.   I am now liking it more than an A1 or A2.  The only reason I wanted it was for battery storage.  Or maybe a bolt.   Depending on if I have my light on there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't get 77gr SMK's to group worth a crap at 100y even with my 18" Larue stealth barrel. 1" at best. Now, at 200 and 300y, my 77gr smk load really starts looking good. Not sure why that is. 68/69gr has always done better for me at shorter distances
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Some say it takes a while for them to settle down.  Which now has me thinking I wonder how they would do at 200.   I've actually only shot this recce at 200 1 time, I think.  And I was just shooting M193, bipod, no rear bag and it was not the smallest grouping affair I'd ever seen.  Plus it seemed like the wind was pushing them more than I thought they should.......  But it was rather windy.  It's always windy at my range.   I don't think I've ever been there where it was just still.  It's right on lake Michigan, so......   But so is Perry (on one of the great lakes).  So I shouldn't complain.  

But yeah, if you were just gonna shoot for groups at 100, I'd say hornady's 52's, the flat base 52's and 53's are probably the way to go.  Actually Molon likes (for 100 yards) some kind of 55 grain ballistic tip I think it is.  Or is it a 55 grain Sierra......  ???
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Some say it takes a while for them to settle down.  Which now has me thinking I wonder how they would do at 200.   I've actually only shot this recce at 200 1 time, I think.  And I was just shooting M193, bipod, no rear bag and it was not the smallest grouping affair I'd ever seen.  Plus it seemed like the wind was pushing them more than I thought they should.......  But it was rather windy.  It's always windy at my range.   I don't think I've ever been there where it was just still.  It's right on lake Michigan, so......   But so is Perry (on one of the great lakes).  So I shouldn't complain.  

But yeah, if you were just gonna shoot for groups at 100, I'd say hornady's 52's, the flat base 52's and 53's are probably the way to go.  Actually Molon likes (for 100 yards) some kind of 55 grain ballistic tip I think it is.  Or is it a 55 grain Sierra......  ???
View Quote
Might be right on the 77s needing to settle down. I've yet to try the lighter weight match Sierra's. I think they come in 52/53gr. I think Molon uses the sierra 55gr blitzkings
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:48:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#14]
Blitzkings.  Yeah.  That sounds right.  I don't even know what that is.  Off to google.

Yeah, I thought it was a ballistic tip......
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]
That's good shooting but with a scope that you can dial the parallax out will make it a bit easier to get tight groups. I believe I'm going to be getting either a RECCE- 16 KMR-A or the 18 precision.
Billy
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#16]
We need specs on rifle, OP!

I'd look for some 69gr FGMM.  

If you haven't done so yet, replace your trigger. I think a Larue MBT is 125.00 if you don't mind waiting a bit for it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:57:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#17]
No, this gun doesn't like the 69's.  At all.  I've tried.  

It has a light trigger in it.  

Specs:

RRA lower with 2 stage varmint trigger.  Breaks at 3 pounds, actually a hair under usually.  
Magpul MOE grip
Milspec reciever extension with CAR stock bought from someone on here.  Plus the flaming bomb rubber butt pad to help give some real estate for the rear bag.  
WOA upper, bolt, and 16" Match HBAR
Daniel Defense (old) 9.5" M4 rail (upper built by ADCO)
Harris 6-9 bipod in ARMS rail mount
Larue SPR-EER mount 1"
Leupold VX-1 2-7 with a duplex reticle
10 round magpul mag with ranger plate
Krylon OD paint on lower, and dark brown on upper If I was any good at camo jobs I'd do woodland, but I'm not, so.....  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top