Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2017 8:13:58 PM EDT
What is the general consensus of the g2 rifles?  My experience with dpms has been favorable, at least their SS varmint barrels have been quite accurate, .5-.75 ave.  When the dpms g2 came out there was a large positive feeling, but what's the opinion now that they be been out for a year or so?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a g2 recon .308.  Shoot only with irons.  Great out to 300Y.  No issues with it
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
No opinion yet. I just can't seem to get excited enough to drop the coin on an AR10 platform. I'm sure that they are pretty good though. I like some of the Savage features better. But who knows if I get a wild hair and buy one on a whim.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a DPMS GII Hunter 3 years ago. At that time there was a lot of talk and bitching about how bad a DPMS produced AR platform rifle can be.

My GII Hunter had a problem with punctured primers due to poor firing pin diameter to firing pin channel fit.

I sent it back to DPMS on request from DPMS and the rifle was repaired and returned to me with a few extras.

I originally purchased the rifle to shoot extended ranges just for funsies and to hunt with at normal hunting ranges (400 or less yards) and this rifle is more than capable.

When I am on, I can shoot 3 shot groups that can be covered with a half dollar at 200yds. When I am on I can replicate the accuracy time after time.

My biggest problem with the rifle is that gassers are not as easy to shoot as bolt action rifle. I really need to stay practiced on my gasser skills to remain accurate at longer ranges.

My son and I go out to the mountains around us and find places to shoot from point blank to over 1000yds. My sons rifle and mine are both .308s so being able to get above 7500ft in elevation helps keep the round super sonic at that range.

My sons rifle is a GI Hunter and his rifle is just as accurate as mine.

I know there are a lot of people who will tell you to buy anything other than a DPMS product. The 2 .308s and my daughters wanna be M4 have been accurate, well functioning weapons.

I would say if you want a DPMS GII product, buy it, you won't be sorry.

Semper Fi

JW
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my Bull last fall and DPMS seems to have resolved their few initial problems.  No primer issues and Magpul mags worked fine, locked back.  Some reports of sheared bolt catches lead me to mod my PMAGs anyway, took 5 minutes with a knife for 3 mags.  

From the mag back its as modular and confogurable as an AR15.  There are now a handfull of handguards available, and Rainier is making match barrels,  My only wish is that Remington would release their CSASS and GII handguards as stand alone upgrades.  And of course a Magpul drum.

Otherwise, super happy with it.  Only took it to 200 yards and seems very accurate.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The DPMSof old and the Bushmaster of old are dead.

Still, the Savage MSR-10 promises to be a better rifle.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 3:38:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Really wish I could get jus the receivers and parts for em. I love my large frame but it would be nice to shorten up the receiver area.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had my G2 full size Hunter for a few years now I guess.  Lots of rounds down it,  lost count.  When I got it I put about every quality ammo I could find in it, to try and find a great round for my wants.  Even PMC works very well...
I was not sure if I would like the round carbon fiber hand guard, but I do.  I was not sure I would like the stock it came with, but I do.  I was real sure the stock mini mag it came with would never get used, but it is the mag I use all the time (the 25 rounder's are fun as well, and work fine in my rifle).
I had a lot of hope that it would keep tight groups, and if I do my part, it is still a better shot than I am (after about two years).
I have added an adj. gas block, but it did not need it, I just have a few around...

So for me, yes I would pick one up, without a question. I have thought that the Recon looks good, but I have not picked one up yet.  Got two Sigs this year, and have to save up again:)

AS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top