Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2017 5:29:54 PM EDT
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum but I felt like it had a place here.

So I'm looking at add a precision upper to the collection. I'm thinking I want to stay with a 16" Recce style as I don't get to shoot more than 450 yards often. I plan on putting either a 1-6 or 2-10 on it. I obviously want a SS barrel but would prefer if it's not heavy as a tank.

Who's making the best complete uppers right now? Im not really opposed to building one but I'd prefer to just throw it on top.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure it's not the best on the market by any means but I really like my aero precision. I haven't done any legit precision "tests" with it but I tend to hit what I want with it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Build an upper with a LaRue barrel or buy a LaRue Stealth upper.  You can not go wrong with that combo.

I built two uppers with LaRue 16" barrels and both were lights out accurate.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked at the large, I like their mounts so I'd imagine if he impressed with their other stuff.
I really don't like their rails. I want a continuous rail on top because I sometimes run the optics a bit forward.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
CLE (Compass Lake Engineering)
WOA (White Oak Armament)
Rainier Arms using Shilen or Rock Creek barrel blanks
and a host of others.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Some results from my JP:

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that thing looks like it shoots pretty dam good.

What manufactures should I avoid other than the obvious bottom feeders?
Seems like a lot of companies are making "precision uppers" now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say JP makes the most accurate AR's period; factory, custom, etc...they are just fucking ridiculously accurate.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Does JP offer complete uppers?

If not, LaRue Stealth or CLE would be my choice.

Also consider PRI or HCS.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Does JP offer complete uppers?

If not, LaRue Stealth or CLE would be my choice.

Also consider PRI or HCS.
View Quote
Yes indeed they do.  I believe they even have some available with their "Ready Rifle Program."
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
OP check out Barnes Precision. By far the most accurate AR I have ever owned or seen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Radian arms
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I would say JP and Larue.

My Larue came with a .4 MOA target  Once I scoped it and practiced, I got a little tighter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#13]
No question CLE, but Falkor and JP aren't far behind.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:43:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waxman] [#14]
JP without a doubt.My JP 15 upper is freakishly  accurate.If jp products were not so expensive, they would be the only AR parts I would buy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#15]
As far as uppers are concerned its all about free floating the best barrel you can afford.  For a Recce build any good M4 type upper will do.  Focus on barrel choice.  That's where the accuracy lies and where to invest.  Add your selected match barrel and free float a rail or tube of your choice.  It's easy and better than trying to buy an off the shelf complete upper that would beat the accuracy of Lilja, Kreiger, Bartlein, Shilen and such custom match barrels.

If Recce is your plan consider this: My choice was a Lilja 16" M4 Navy match barrel.  This is the same Recce profile barrel supplied to NSWC Crane per its specifications for the original SEAL recon rifles.  416 stainless, 1:8 twist, Wylde chamber, hand lapped, threaded muzzle, target crown, top match grade.  1/2 MOA capable with the match ammo. It's a complete drop in barrel with barrel extension torqued in place and pre drilled gas port.  About $500 and worth every penny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top