Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2017 5:22:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steelhammer]
I realize there is a lot of talk on this sub about 6.5 Grendel, but in most cases it appears to be geared towards the shorter barrel lengths.
I have a beefcake (heavy) of an AR I'd like to breath new life into with a caliber change, dedicating it as a bench rifle, and I'm extremely excited to get into 6.5 Grendel. I was wondering is there a general agreement on the best value in 6.5 Grendel barrels right now in a 20inch plus length? Would 22" or 24" be a better length? I do shoot suppressed, and I'm mainly interested in setting this up for taking those long shots accurately... for instance, prairie dog hunting.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the 65grendel forum, you may get more detailed answers there
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with an 18" Alexander Arms stainless fluted they have on their website
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I would go 24", most certainly not fluted.
For such small targets  I think the best value would be a  24" Krieger Varmatch profile.

I use a 24" Brownells for long range it is a good value but is not long range prairie dog accurate. 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
I would go 24", most certainly not fluted.
For such small targets  I think the best value would be a  24" Krieger Varmatch profile.

I use a 24" Brownells for long range it is a good value but is not long range prairie dog accurate. 
View Quote
X2 on the Krieger. I did build a Saturn 20" gov profile that surprised me on accuracy. I have a buddy that has a Bartlin, I'm not sure if I spelled it correctly.  I think he had a local smith chamber and fit the bolt extension. It's 24" medium profile.  My Shaw shoots better than I do, but I have seen a few others that don't shoot as well. But then again my Les Baer is more picky about what bullet weight it will shoot compared to the Shaw. BHW makes a good barrel to but they are now dedicated to the. 125 bolt.  AA used to use Shilen for their long barrels and Lilja is always on the list. If I was after a dedicated Chunk gun I'd get a top barrel and have a local smith fit the barrel extension and chamber it. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If you need velocity for the type of shooting you're doing then get a 24" barrel.

I have a 19" Lilja and it's a great accurate barrel but my buddies 24" Saturn gets consistent
100-150 fps more velocity
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought the only "economy" barrel I could find. The Anderson M4 barrel $99. I would have totally gone for a 20" A3 barrel for the extra performance, even an 18" but no dice. Needed to double for the price for any other barrel I could find.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the best and for what you want, you should also.
Precision Firearms, 24" Krieger,1/8, bull. This gun is a .3moa shooter, I have won 2 600Y F-class matches with it and shot a 1000Y match. The wind got me a 1000 but the rifle was fine. 123 Scenar.
I also have a "Benchmark", 18"; it is a .5 moa rifle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My understanding is the Grendel "gets it done" via its bullet BC rather than its barrel length. As a guy who had a 24" Krieger 223, had it cut to a 22" and finally just sold it Ill never own anything with a barrel longer than 20" again. Its just too much of a pain in the ass. I feel if you need the benefits of a longer barrel you just need to find a new caliber! (Competition rules excluded)

So my answer to your question is if you arent chasing targets well past 1000 yards....Go 18" and be happy. 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
For shooting suppressed, I would recommend a RLGS and a 20-24" barrel with adjustable gas, for the OP's needs.

I would not use 18" MLGS because of the existing dwell time, with a suppressor added to that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I just built a grendel up based around a Satern cut-rifled barrel.  The initial trip to the range was with Hornady Black ammo - i'm starting load workup now.  The first 20 rounds got me some chrony data, on paper and dialed out to 600 yards.  While establishing zero I had two three-shot groups at 100 yards that were within 1/2 inch using this factory ammo.  I opened the second box of ammo, reassessed my 100 yard zero and then went out to 850 yards.  Between 300, 400, 600 and 850 yards, I dumped a total of 80 rounds off a bipod and really enjoyed the repeatability.  Some shots on paper, some on steel.  Boringly accurate is a pretty good term...

You'll love the grendel!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
For shooting suppressed, I would recommend a RLGS and a 20-24" barrel with adjustable gas, for the OP's needs.

I would not use 18" MLGS because of the existing dwell time, with a suppressor added to that.
View Quote
Would 18" with MLGS be ok for unsuppressed? The AA 18" lite barrel has me wondering.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
18" MLGS unsuppressed is fine with a .076" gas port.  I have several.

My Lilja 318 MLGS is my go-to rifle right now, and has been for a few years.

Super light, super accurate, easy to shoot, every time I go to the range to shoot groups with new ammo before taking it out at distance, no matter what ammo I shoot, my zero is dead-on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
My understanding is the Grendel "gets it done" via its bullet BC rather than its barrel length. As a guy who had a 24" Krieger 223, had it cut to a 22" and finally just sold it Ill never own anything with a barrel longer than 20" again. Its just too much of a pain in the ass. I feel if you need the benefits of a longer barrel you just need to find a new caliber! (Competition rules excluded)

So my answer to your question is if you arent chasing targets well past 1000 yards....Go 18" and be happy. 
View Quote
Not sure what planet you're living on. You're saying the vast, overwhelming majority of long range shooters inside and outside of competition who shoot rifles with 20" or longer barrels just need to "find a new caliber"?

OP don't listen to that guy. The "pain in the ass" of walking from your truck to where you are going to setup prone for prairie dog hunting with an extra 4 to 6 inches of barrel is nil. You will thank yourself for those couple hundred extra FPS if you ever decide to stretch her legs out to a 1000.  

Take a look at this article. You'll see what an 18" barrel will yield you in regards to muzzle velocity. These 18" numbers are substantially lower than those reported by ammo manufacturers and other reloaders using 24" barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top