Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 12:22:20 AM EDT
I am getting ready to build a 308 AR. I can get a Faxon 5R barrel for $30 more than I can get a standard barrel. What are the advantages of the 5R rifling? I am assuming the extra $30 is worth it? It will be for a gift for my little brother, he will probably use it for hog hunting. Looking at a 18" barrel. Please give me your thoughts.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#1]
5R rifling is supposed to enhance accuracy. Many sniper rifles use 5R.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 9:45:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CAC01] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:
5R rifling is supposed to enhance accuracy. Many sniper rifles use 5R.
View Quote

Key adjective in bold above...

5R may help if your trying squeeze another 0.0001 out of a bench rest rifle. The rifling is a classic example of an appeal to novelty. It must be great because it's different and you know, it had some benefits for a bolt gun barrel so it must be good for every barrel ever made. Clue: Krieger, one of the most respected names in precision barrels, will not make AR-10 pattern barrels with 5R rifling. The fact Fauxon makes one doesn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueNathan] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RogueNathan:

That is because one cannot cut rifle a barrel with 5R. The cutters need the hard 90 degree angle.

Button, broach, and CHF can all do 5R as they use different tools and methods.
View Quote

So are you telling me my Bartlein 5R is not cut rifled?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:19:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steelcomp] [#5]
Originally Posted By saj:
I am getting ready to build a 308 AR. I can get a Faxon 5R barrel for $30 more than I can get a standard barrel. What are the advantages of the 5R rifling? I am assuming the extra $30 is worth it? It will be for a gift for my little brother, he will probably use it for hog hunting. Looking at a 18" barrel. Please give me your thoughts.
View Quote

From Bartlein:

Which is better 5R style rifling or conventional rifling?
In terms of accuracy and barrel life we don’t see a difference. There are a lot of varying opinions on this. Some say if you want hard core accuracy to go with conventional rifling. We feel in the real world there is no real difference. The more uniform your bore and groove sizes over the entire length of the barrel, the more uniform the twist and the straighter the blank the more forgiving the barrel is going to be.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#6]
5R was introduced to this country by Boots Obermeyer but was developed in Russia, I believe. Boots is probably the best barrel maker alive today, and he made the original barrels for Knights SR-25s. His protege, Mike Rock, offers 5R barrels, as well.

The way it's supposed to enhance accuracy is by not having lands and grooves opposite each other, which is supposed to deform the bullet less. Whether this makes a difference in most ARs is academic, IMO, as they're truly accurate enough to show that difference. My .260 Mega has a Bartlein 5R and is stupid accurate. My Grendel has a 5R Rock Creek barrel. I've seen plenty of VERY accurate rifles built with 4-grooves, though.

They clean a little easier, but you have to pay attention that the rod and brush is actually tracking in the rifling. The lack of the corner means it doesn't grab the brush as hard as a conventional rifling form.

5R is only one of a number of different forms available. Shilen has a "canted land" form, and as mentioned Bartlein and Krieger both have their version of 5R.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a few rifles with Faxon barrels. If I ever shot out my Nemo 20" .308 barrel, I'd get a Faxon replacement in a heartbeat. If a bolt ever take's the place of my precision LR308 in .308, I'd not hesitate to turning it into a carbine and use a Faxon carbine barrel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:...5R is only one of a number of different forms available. Shilen has a "canted land" form, and as mentioned Bartlein and Krieger both have their version of 5R.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:...5R is only one of a number of different forms available. Shilen has a "canted land" form, and as mentioned Bartlein and Krieger both have their version of 5R.

You've clearly stated as fact that Krieger uses their version of Obermeyer 5R®. How do you reconcile your statement with this from Kriegers website:

True 5R® rifling is an official registered trademark of Boots Obermeyer of Obermeyer Barrels. Krieger Barrels has express permission to use both his "5R" terminology and the groove geometry he developed to produce our 5R® barrels. Our 5R® barrels are produced using the same methods and standards of match-grade quality as all of our barrels.

That is because one cannot cut rifle a barrel with 5R. The cutters need the hard 90 degree angle.

Button, broach, and CHF can all do 5R as they use different tools and methods.

The reason Krieger uses cut 4 groove in their barrels? From their website...

We also do not offer 5R® rifling in our semi-auto barrels. Barrels which require a gasport are always made with 4 grooves so that the grooves are wide enough that we can keep the entire gasport within the groove.

Curious... Is Faxon using 5R® with permission as its a registered trademark?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:34:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steelcomp] [#10]
A good friend of mine just called and educated me a bit more.

I must apologize. I provided incorrect information in my earlier post on 5R. It can be single-point cut.

My apologies to ARFCOM for providing bad information and to any companies affected. We truly have the utmost respect for them and their products and in no way was our intent to disparage any of them. As always, we come here under our promise to help educate our consumers. In this respect, I was mistaken.

We are truly honored when someone selects our barrels. We work to always improve, always learn, and always manufacture better than we did the day before. Know if you do select Faxon, we will stand behind it all day, any day.

My apologies again and thanks to all.
View Quote

Apology aside, that doesn't bode well for Faxon. You're the director! One would expect you would know these things. Who actually makes Faxon barrels? Does Faxon actually manufacture anything or are you just a group of guys who really know little to nothing about firearms in an office somewhere taking orders and selling parts made by someone else? I think it's a fair question.
FYI I have (3) .308 AR builds going with your 20" heavy fluted barrels but I have to say I'm disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By steelcomp:

Apology aside, that doesn't bode well for Faxon. You're the director! One would expect you would know these things. Who actually makes Faxon barrels? Does Faxon actually manufacture anything or are you just a group of guys who really know little to nothing about firearms in an office somewhere taking orders and selling parts made by someone else? I think it's a fair question.
FYI I have (3) .308 AR builds going with your 20" heavy fluted barrels but I have to say I'm disappointed.
View Quote
Wow...
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:51:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steelcomp] [#13]
You're right to question, which I am happy to answer. My personal mistake was that, which I am fortunate to interact with customers and those more knowledgeable than me who taught me something new.

Faxon is 175000 square feet of manufacturing space staffed by over a hundred fantastic machinists. Barrels are a part of our whole business including bombs for the airforce, partso for automotive, aerospace, and other high precision industries.

If you seek to judge Faxon over my personal misstep, I can understand it, but believe that would be wrong. I would hope my willingness to learn and contrition shows a humble person and company always willing to improve and at our current quality only shows how much better we will be!
View Quote

Nope, not judging at all, just asking questions. I did a little reading of my own and see that Faxon Firearms is a spin off of Faxon Machining which is common. Lot of "firearm manufacturers" are spin offs of larger mfg companies. Many don't even have an FFL. The Faxon website talks about manufacturing upper receivers but doesn't say anything about manufacturing barrels. In fact, they do say, "OEM manufacturing from partner to product" so I take that as they don't manufacture barrels, that they have an OEM partner who does and that's fine too. I was under the assumption (my mistake) that you actually manufactured barrels and that's why I was surprised at the comment abut the 5R rifling. Now I understand.
I appreciate the apology and thank you for the courteous response.. It's not something you see too often these days. I like your barrels and promote them when I can.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:37:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CAC01] [#14]
Originally Posted By RogueNathan:You're right to question, which I am happy to answer.
View Quote

I'd like to know if Faxon gun drills and rifles its own barrel blanks in house. If you don't, who supplies your blanks?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top