Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 2:14:21 PM EDT
I bought the 6940 for the purpose of installing a top-tier barrel, knowing it had a Colt-proprietary barrel mounting system. I have built and worked on standard AR's, and have all the necessary tools and skills for most any standard AR work. But before I start buying parts and special tools for this project, I would appreciate the experience of those who have actually done this. I understand some feel the available 6940 barrel tools may be of debatable quality, but have little other knowledge. Thanks in advance for anything the experts on this board may offer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Postal0311] [#1]
Good luck with the whole proprietary barrel extension.

Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone ever done what I'm considering doing?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've considered swapping my 6940 barrel out, but it doesn't need it yet.

It doesn't look like it's a super pain to do, but I've never done it so I have no idea on the level of difficulty here.

That tool is expensive though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:57:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Acebris] [#4]
Apparently there has been a post (ETA: related to) this topic...

Another member did a tear down...LINK and then had his barrel cut...LINK...pictures are down.

I didn't realize this post was in the Precision Rifle section, it should probably be moved?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Acebris:
Apparently there has been a post on this topic...

Another member did a tear down...LINK and then had his barrel cut...LINK...pictures are down.

I didn't realize this post was in the Precision Rifle section, it should probably be moved?
View Quote

The object of this project is to build an ultra-accurate, long range, semi-auto rifle on the most stable semi-auto platform possible. And to obtain input from people who know accuracy front to back. Figured if anyone had done this fairly difficult barrel installation it would be someone on this board. That's why the post is here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:37:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Acebris] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By imcoltsguy:

The object of this project is to build an ultra-accurate, long range, semi-auto rifle on the most stable semi-auto platform possible. And to obtain input from people who know accuracy front to back. Figured if anyone had done this fairly difficult barrel installation it would be someone on this board. That's why the post is here.
View Quote

Gotcha.

I don't know man, I've been looking into this and it really seems like a PITA.  ETA:  Lots of unique parts here, PITA in that sense.

I pulled my armorer's manual out and went to that section and it is pretty straightforward...remove rail section, insert tool, twist, and pull out.  Installation appears simple too.  But I'm sure that appearances are deceptive here.

Of course...no specifics on the barrel itself.  The links I posted above seemed to indicate there were some differences and you couldn't buy a regular barrel with standard extension (duh).

Here's another LINK to a discussion about it and SA's response.  Apparently, at least in 2011, Specialized Armament had to do a whole bunch of BS.  I don't know if that has changed though, that was 5 years ago.  (If hot linking to that site is a nono, apologies)
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I may be ahead of the cool kids in wanting to do this. Seems with the stability of the 6940 system as a starting point it should turn into what I want to build but apparently none of the primo barrel makers are yet supplying a barrel with the proprietary extension installed. I actually don't want to pioneer that task.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top