Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2016 8:52:50 PM EDT
I've built a rifle for designated marksman type shooting, and want opinions for an optic.

The rifle is a PSA 20 inch 1x7 FN CHF barrel with a Midwest industries SSK keymod rail.  I've never really done this type of shooting before, but

would like to go to at least 600 yards.  Based on the Army's SDM-R optic (4x32 ACOG) and budget, I'm think of either the Primary Arms 5x fixed

scope because it seems to have good reviews and a useful reticle, or the Bushnell 1-4 AR 223 with PCL because it also has a useful reticle and would

also seem to be more useful at close range on 1x.  Of course if any one has any recommendations in the 300.00 range, I would be happy to hear them.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Vortex strike eagle?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd recommend either a Primary Arms 1-6x or the Primary Arms 4-14x in 5.56

Both are amazing optics that have loads of quality features and meet your budget.

Now you just have to decide if you want to go the low-power variable route, or the more traditional SPR route.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I've looked at the other scopes listed.

If I understand it correctly, the reticle in a first focal plane scope changes size with magnification, so a BDC reticle is good at any setting, but in a

second focal plane scope, it does not, so a BDC reticle only works for the magnification at which it is zeroed.  If that is correct, I think I will limit

myself to a fixed power or first focal plane scope.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The strike eagle has a really thick, "chunky" reticle compared to anything else I've seen. It's been initially good for my sub-200m 300blk upper, but you could do much better for $300+mount.

The 4x fixed type optics are an acquired taste. The reticles are awesome, but it really doesn't give you the ability to see what you are shooting under magnification. That helps cut down the amount of rounds to get on target, but its not necessarily going to be a first shot hit at every stadia line, and you could probably get just as close with kentucky windage with a red dot inside 500yds, with the benefit of still being as fast as you possibly can be up close.

I would look at the 3-10x mil/mil options. As long as you are doing your ranging at the same max setting, you'll have consistent data for your gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Formergrunt94:

If I understand it correctly, the reticle in a first focal plane scope changes size with magnification, so a BDC reticle is good at any setting, but in a

second focal plane scope, it does not, so a BDC reticle only works for the magnification at which it is zeroed.  If that is correct, I think I will limit

View Quote

SFP is fine on low powered variable scopes.  If your shooting far enough that you need to holdover you are at max magnification anyway.  If I am not at max on my 1-4 its getting used more as a red dot.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By unpleasant:

The strike eagle has a really thick, "chunky" reticle compared to anything else I've seen. It's been initially good for my sub-200m 300blk upper, but you could do much better for $300+mount.

The 4x fixed type optics are an acquired taste. The reticles are awesome, but it really doesn't give you the ability to see what you are shooting under magnification. That helps cut down the amount of rounds to get on target, but its not necessarily going to be a first shot hit at every stadia line, and you could probably get just as close with kentucky windage with a red dot inside 500yds, with the benefit of still being as fast as you possibly can be up close.

I would look at the 3-10x mil/mil options. As long as you are doing your ranging at the same max setting, you'll have consistent data for your gun.
View Quote
My eyes are the limit with a red dot, which is why for this particular rifle, I'm looking at magnifying scopes.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Cknugget:
SFP is fine on low powered variable scopes.  If your shooting far enough that you need to holdover you are at max magnification anyway.  If I am not at max on my 1-4 its getting used more as a red dot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cknugget:

Originally Posted By Formergrunt94:

Oh, okay.  It's just that the bushnell has a built in range finding reticle, and I wanted it to work at all powers.  Didn't know that it wasn't enough to

matter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, just to clarify a point, the BDC will only work on max magnification in SFP optics.

As it was said before. If you need your BDC, you're going to be using the scope at its highest setting.

Don't kid yourself in FFP scopes. The BDC is too small to be useable on anything but the higher settings.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:50:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BentoBox] [#9]
I use few Nikon scopes with bdc reticle. Nikon got an app Spot On.
All you need is to pick your scope, your ammo, your sighting distance and magnification you use. App will assign each BDC dot accordingly.

Here I'm using Grendel AMAX ammo with p223 scope designed for use with 223
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Midwayusa has the Weaver GST 3-10 mil/mil.  It's another great chose, sale $300.00, normal $400.00.  Most of the time Midwayusa has it on sale.
Link
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Either the Weaver or a Super Chicken in 6 10 or 12.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
If your going to be shooting at 600 i personally would never go lower than 14x. 4x or 6x doesnt cut it, and you will be wanting more at mid range. ..I like to see the splash. I hear good things about Athalons, and a couple of their reticle options seem excellent for this purpose.I have a 14.5" precision setup that I'm eyeing several of their models. Note that I regularly shoot at 600 so glass is important to me. I have an old vortex HST mildot that i consider the minimum, it works great (repeatability), but its my only sfp scope. Ive come to love ffp too much and want to switch it out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 7:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#13]
Originally Posted By Donster_125:
Also, just to clarify a point, the BDC will only work on max magnification in SFP optics.

As it was said before. If you need your BDC, you're going to be using the scope at its highest setting.

Don't kid yourself in FFP scopes. The BDC is too small to be useable on anything but the higher settings.
View Quote

This is a very valid point.  FFP reticles make sense to me only at high magnificstion.  Turn those scopes down to low power and the reticle subtension marks practically disappear.

My rule of thumb comes from my hunting background where second focal plane conspicuous reticles are virtually universally favored unless magnification is over 14x and shots are st long-range at small targers, like varmints.  A reticle you can't see is like not having one at all.

As observed in another post above, the SFP Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 with MRAD turrets and mil dot reticle is probably the best $300 mid powered tactical scope on the planet.  Catch it on sale.  Amazing Japanese glass and construction.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The super sniper fixed 10x scopes are good to go only $300.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had great results with my GRSC 1-6x scope. It is a FFP with a very easy to use calibrated reticle.
I found it to be an excellent DMR scope for the money.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I just received a Athlon Argos BTR 6-24.  It has some pretty good reviews so I figured I would try one out.  It appears to be a very nice scope.  The glass is clear edge to edge.  All the knobs move as they should.  I have it mounted on a 20" 6.5 Grendel.  Haven't shot it yet because winter is still here.  Price was $369.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I built basically the same rifle a 20" precision AR chambered in .223 wylde and I put an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x on it.

They are great scopes especially for the money and this model goes perfectly with this AR. It's not too big or heavy and 4-14x gives a good balance of close and far shooting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Nemsis:
I built basically the same rifle a 20" precision AR chambered in .223 wylde and I put an Athlon Talos BTR 4-14x on it.

They are great scopes especially for the money and this model goes perfectly with this AR. It's not too big or heavy and 4-14x gives a good balance of close and far shooting.
View Quote

popnfresh did a review of the athlon scope and found the tracking to be horrible to the point of returning it. HE got the super sniper line from swfa and did the same test and found it to track damn near perfectly. I think it may be in the optics section in the precision side here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I read that too but that hasn't been my experience

I only have about 250 rds on this Talos but I also have an Argos BTR 8-32x on my 6.5 Grendel upper with about 400 rds of perfect operation.

I also have a friend I shoot local PRS style matches with that uses an Argos BTR 6-24x on his 6.5 Grendel AR and it has held zero and dialed accurately all last season.

So far they have been great scopes especially for the money, only time will tell but I'm happy with my purchases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top