[youtube]https://youtu.be/E3NhyzRAkxY[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/HAL5DqNJd9s[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/txAQXKeM2JE[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/u8vipU2Ks90[/youtube]
Precision Rifle - 6.5 Creedmoor Upgrades

Precision Rifle - Lilja 20" 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
That was a great series, OP. Excellent!  How many rounds have you put through your rifle and what Ammo are you shooting? Rifle performing well? I am 99% certain that I will chamber my LRP in Creedmoor once the .260 goes Tango Uniform.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
OST. I need to sit down and watch all of these again. My Criterion 6.5 barrel came in today. I haven't looked at it yet because I've been at the hospital since yesterday with my brand new baby girl
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALex:
That was a great series, OP. Excellent!  How many rounds have you put through your rifle and what Ammo are you shooting? Rifle performing well? I am 99% certain that I will chamber my LRP in Creedmoor once the .260 goes Tango Uniform.
View Quote

Only have 20 rounds through the Christensen Arms barrel but I'll be headed to the range again this weekend hopefully. The 20 I shot through it was Prime 130gr but I have Hornady ELD coming in tomorrow and we'll see what my rifle likes best. Every round through this rifle will be documented on video as well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
OST. I need to sit down and watch all of these again. My Criterion 6.5 barrel came in today. I haven't looked at it yet because I've been at the hospital since yesterday with my brand new baby girl
View Quote

Well CONGRATULATIONS BUD!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome videos.  Just watched them all.

I also lap my receiver faces vertically for the reason you listed.  I noticed on the AR15 lapping tool that there is a recessed channel to catch any lapping compound to prevent it from getting too far into the upper.

I will ultrasonic clean my uppers if I need to get the compound off.

I also will use acetone or isopropyl alcohol to remove compound from the threads before check-fitting my barrel nut.

I really like the way you used another pivot pin to captivate your detent and spring for the pivot pin install, and I have a .250" tool for this on the AR15, but this is an excellent trick for the larger pin on the SR25/AR10/LR-308 series if you have an extra.  I also do that procedure with the receiver vertically.

Another thing I do to get rid of the slop between the extension and the extension tunnel in the upper is Cerakote.  I will degrease, blast, and Cerakote all the main external surface parts of the gun, to include the upper and lower.  I build up Cerakote inside the tunnel to create more of an interference fit when it comes time to install, and I also use Blue Loc tite, which is easy to remove when pulling the barrel down the road.

There is also a lot of bolt work to be done, and de-edging, blending, and polishing of the feed ramps on the extension.  I occlude the chamber with a piece of foam I made when doing that.

For the gas block, I measure the location from the barrel shoulder aft of the gas block journal to the center of the gas port, then measure the rear edge of the block to the center of the gas port inside the block, which is usually .125" with most manufacturers.  I set the gas block location based on proper alignment of the ports.  

I also bed the gas tube into the gas block.  I align and bed the gas block after installing the barrel nut, checking the gas tube alignment with an empty carrier so tube and key don't bind or clip.

For the muzzle device, I don't use torque.

Those are some of the better videos I have seen lately, Task Force Crash Hawk Guy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Haha, congratulations.    The barrel can wait.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Task Force Crash Hawk Guy.
View Quote

LMFAO!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tfblkhwkguy:

LMFAO!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LMFAO!

I'll take Military Acronyms for 500, Alex.

Your groups are pretty sweet as well.  I'm trying to think of a rear bag solution for you that will work.  Need time to digest it for a while.

I've been seeing really good performance from the Winchester 6.5 Creedmoor factory load, especially in at least one gas gun.

The thing that really boggles the mind is that CA chose to use a MLGS with a 20" 6.5 CM barrel.  When asked about it, they said customer demand for the gas block to be covered was the deciding factor.

Port pressure has got to be in the Captain Insano territory, probably close to 40,000psi, whereas the AR10 was designed to run with ~17,000psi on a RLGS.

Hopefully that buffer you have will tame unlocking time down.  What does it weigh, and how does it work?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkDrifter] [#9]
Barrel looks like mid length gas system?? I think this is it:
https://www.rainierarms.com/christensen-arms-ca-10-carbon-barrel-assembly-6-5-creedmoor-barrel-20
What were they smoking when they released a barrel chambered in such an overbore cartridge like 6.5CM in mid length gas!? Others are doing the opposite. Rifle length or longer. Hopefully it can be tamed. Definitely looks like it is going to shoot.
ETA: Didn't see post above, oops

Should consider using mold release or some regular/neutral shoe polish when you apply the bedding compound/gasket shellac. Will prevent compound from sticking to whatever it is applied to, and your rifle will smell like a freshly polished shoe I guess...
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm trying to think of a rear bag solution for you that will work.  Need time to digest it for a while.

View All Quotes

LMFAO!

I'm trying to think of a rear bag solution for you that will work.  Need time to digest it for a while.

LRRPF52, I'm in the process of drawing something up and sending off to Mark LaRue that may solve this.  It's something that will benefit all shooters.  If it works it's a pretty easy after market product for a certain stock.

Still needs to tame the muzzle jump.  I was thinking of the old M1A slings that can be made into a loop.  Not sure if you were ever taught that method in any of the Sniper schools but after one school where I learned this I went out and picked up a bunch of the slings and put them on all my rifles.

I spoke w/50% via IM and he said his right arm doesn't move at all.  So that kinda changes things since the method I used was the loop around my support arm.  I still think you could loop the sling on the shooting/trigger arm up near the bicep/shoulder pocket with some downward/back pressure to tame muzzle jump and have better follow through.

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again for the good videos and the lapping tool. I rewatched all your videos today. I also got all the parts for my 6.5 build and put it together.

Full specs:

Aero upper and lower

Criterion barrel finished by Fulton Armory

Aero 308 bcg

15" MI Mlok rail

SLR Sentry adjustable gas block

WMD gas tube

MIAD grip

Larue MBT

Aero LPK

EFX A1 stock

Tubb flatwire spring

308 rifle buffer

Geissele Super Precision 34mm mount

Bushnell XRS 4.5-30 with H59 reticle

Vortex 34mm bubble level

GG&G bipod

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully that buffer you have will tame unlocking time down.  What does it weigh, and how does it work?
View Quote

My friend Jonathan (The Gun Collective) did a video on it:

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RANGER_556:
downward/back pressure to tame muzzle jump and have better follow through.

Your thoughts?
View Quote

Well it was balancing on my magazine so next time I'll have it supported better and we'll see.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks again for the good videos and the lapping tool. I rewatched all your videos today. I also got all the parts for my 6.5 build and put it together.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87958
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87959

Full specs:
Aero upper and lower
Criterion barrel finished by Fulton Armory
Aero 308 bcg
15" MI Mlok rail
SLR Sentry adjustable gas block
WMD gas tube
MIAD grip
Larue MBT
Aero LPK
EFX A1 stock
Tubb flatwire spring
308 rifle buffer
Geissele Super Precision 34mm mount
Bushnell XRS 4.5-30 with H59 reticle
Vortex 34mm bubble level
GG&G bipod

View Quote

That doesn't suck.  

I'm interested to see what you think about the barrel.   The wait for a Krieger....ugh.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]

https://youtu.be/sTH3YEQlRSo
View All Quotes

https://youtu.be/sTH3YEQlRSo

I can't take a review seriously with someone using a rifle that has rings placed on the receiver AND the handguard, used for accuracy testing. And does shooting on video without eye protection.
YouTube video 101 type stuff to me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:15:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tfblkhwkguy] [#16]
Originally Posted By MrPlayer:
rings placed on the receiver AND the handguard.........does shooting on video without eye protection.........YouTube video 101 type stuff to me.
View Quote

1st statement - the scope mount IS NOT on the handrail ....lol

2nd statement - I was wearing eye pro while shooting the 6.5cm the whole video..lol   Are you talking about a different video because I do admit to shooting without eye pro sometimes. Its a hard habit to kick after NOT EVER having to or be told to wear eye pro in my 12 years in the Army until the last few years when they started to issue Oakley's and guys still didn't wear them lol. Like I said, its a bad habit and Im good at remembering now.

3rd statement - YouTube 101?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#17]

2nd statement - I was wearing eye pro while shooting the 6.5cm the whole video..lol   Are you talking about a different video because I do admit to shooting without eye pro sometimes. Its a hard habit to kick after NOT EVER having to or be told to wear eye pro in my 12 years in the Army until the last few years when they started to issue Oakley's and guys still didn't wear them lol. Like I said, its a bad habit and Im good at remembering now.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By MrPlayer:

rings placed on the receiver AND the handguard.........does shooting on video without eye protection.........YouTube video 101 type stuff to me.

I thought he was talking about Jonathan's video.

I'm also bad about eyepro.  I hate the image distortion that I see, even in Oakley's.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought he was talking about Jonathan's video. I'm also bad about eyepro.  I hate the image distortion that I see, even in Oakley's.
View Quote

Ah....I feel like an ass now...sorry
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#19]

It happens.

I totally missed your screen name until I saw the 160th SOAR in your signature.  What year did you retire?

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
It happens.

I totally missed your screen name until I saw the 160th SOAR in your signature.  What year did you retire?

View Quote

I was medically retired in 2010
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#21]
OST - thanks for the vids and info.  I'm about a two weeks away from my Krieger in 6.5 being ready!
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Great video series tfblkhwkguy.  

Very informative and helpful.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I approve of this thread.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Defender3:
OST - thanks for the vids and info.  I'm about a two weeks away from my Krieger in 6.5 being ready!
View Quote

I couldnt afford the Krieger at the time, so I'm a lil jealous.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RWM:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RWM:

The tax return gods smiled on me this year.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Where did you get the barrel?  I put an order in with Krieger about a week ago, they said it's a five month wait right now.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Where did you get the barrel?  I put an order in with Krieger about a week ago, they said it's a five month wait right now.

View All Quotes

I'm getting it from Krieger; I ordered almost three months ago.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

What are the full barrel specs?  I'm waiting on a 26" 1:8 with their standard heavy profile (.900 at the muzzle IIRC).

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#29]
What are the full barrel specs?  I'm waiting on a 26" 1:8 with their standard heavy profile (.900 at the muzzle IIRC).

View All Quotes

I ordered a barrel similar to another build I saw on-line: Krieger 6.5CM, 5R, 1:8, special Palma. A Kreiger guy is going to spin it up for me with a +2 gas system and fit it to my LaRue tOBR heavy with JP Enhanced bolt and BCG.  I'll probably do a 22" and it will wear a SOCOM 762-RC.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:
Great video series tfblkhwkguy.  

Very informative and helpful.
View Quote

Glad you liked them. Im headed to the range tomorrow to shoot it locked down taking the human error out of it. I'll be shooting some Prime 130gr and Hornady 120gr, 140gr, & 143gr to see what it likes to eat.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SamuelAdams1776:
I approve of this thread.

Thanks
View Quote

Well thank you!...lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone found a source for an AR-10 upper receiver lapping tool, beside machining one?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#34]
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87811
View Quote

Thanks, also just found this tool for $28:

Pacific Tool
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#35]
That rifle did not look stable at all while you were shooting. I'd say your results were spectacular considering. Excellent shooting.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
That rifle did not look stable at all while you were shooting. I'd say your results were spectacular considering. Excellent shooting.
View Quote

Yeah it wasn't. Today I used a harris bipod and bean bags in the back but I was only able to get a .9" five round group with 120gr Hornady. If I knew how to upload pictures I would...lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#37]
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=87811
View Quote

Sorry bud...I didn't know those lapping tools existed
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:44:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Awesome videos, thanks a ton.  Will be super helpful when I go to plan and build mine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Same here
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By madmike66:
Awesome videos, thanks a ton.  Will be super helpful when I go to plan and build mine.
View Quote

Im glad you like the series!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#41]
I ordered a barrel similar to another build I saw on-line: Krieger 6.5CM, 5R, 1:8, special Palma. A Kreiger guy is going to spin it up for me with a +2 gas system and fit it to my LaRue tOBR heavy with JP Enhanced bolt and BCG.  I'll probably do a 22" and it will wear a SOCOM 762-RC.
View Quote

I'm thinking of getting JP's barrel with their similar gas system. Have you played with yours yet?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AWDeity:

I'm thinking of getting JP's barrel with their similar gas system. Have you played with yours yet?
View All Quotes

Everything went south, long story short the Kreiger guy was let go so the project with the 6.5 for a gas gun went with him.  I have the barrel and it will probably go on my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Everything went south, long story short the Kreiger guy was let go so the project with the 6.5 for a gas gun went with him.  I have the barrel and it will probably go on my bolt gun.
View All Quotes

That sucks.  I got my Krieger barrel in along with a Toolcraft BCG and another Aero upper.  Right now I just need another rail and a gas tube to get my second 6.5 upper running.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Yes I have and its in my latest video.Ive got it tuned very nicely!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Awesome vids, I would tell you not to quit but that's unnecessary .... NSDQ!

Will use this as a reference for my next build, being a 6.5C.

Thank you for your service, BTW.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Awesome vids, I would tell you not to quit but that's unnecessary .... NSDQ!

Will use this as a reference for my next build, being a 6.5C.

Thank you for your service, BTW.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Great video. Think I might give the cts a try in my current 6.5c build
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:27:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the videos, bro. Top notch production & information quality.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By paulwal:
Thanks for the videos, bro. Top notch production & information quality.
View Quote

Thank you and Im glad you like them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

You're tuned with the adaptive buffer, correct?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
My 6.5 Creedmoor Build (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top