Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2017 10:43:25 AM EDT
I recently acquired a used 700 5R 300 win mag
in an HS precision stock. I want the ability to use detachable AICS pattern mags. Would I be better off buying a new bottom metal or sell the stock and get a Magpul hunter? Is the HS Precision that much better than the Magpul? Thanks ahead of time for the input guys!
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Not impressed by HS.  I have a 5r from about 8 years ago, and the barrel channel is free-floating but not anywhere near symmetrical around the barrel.  I know nothing is perfect, but this is glaringly sloppy-looking.  I found others online reporting the same on theirs.  If they sent this out the door, then i have no confidence in anything they do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never seen any testing that compared the two stocks but I'd guess there wouldn't be much, if any, difference.  They both use aluminum bedding blocks and are probably close in stiffness.  In theory, the HS bedding block has more contact with the action, but it's been my experience that there is actually very little contact, usually just the top edges of the bedding block.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#3]
I have only had two HS- P stocks but I really liked both of them, had a nice solid quality feel.
I have never touched the Magpul stock but I assume it will work just as well.

I went with the HS-Precision drop in bottom metal and magazines. You wont find better magazines (or more expensive).

My long range loads won't  fit in any short action mag so there is no point in going with an AICS mag setup.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If I sold the HS Precison stock what would be a good price? It's in pretty good shape.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By uniquesnd:
If I sold the HS Precison stock what would be a good price? It's in pretty good shape.
View Quote
I've sold several used ones with the 700 bottom metal for around $200 on GB.  These were LH stocks, which while having a smaller market, sell quickly.  

I just picked up an old, but like new, 700 VS LH in .22-250 for a beater/truck/tractor varmint gun.  I may have the HS stock modified for the Surgeon bottom metal when I have half a foot cut off the barrel and threading done.

Either the HS, Magpul, or even the Bell and Carlson are a huge improvement over the terrible plastic SPS stocks.  

I see B&C has some new stocks out that in profile look like the McMillan A3 adjustable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:48:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#6]
Seems like I got $250 for mine. Sold it on ebay. I had to get one that had a bull barrel chanel($365), I recall thinking "well I'm only out $100" so it must have been around $250......well then 13% for ebay and paypal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The only thing I don't care for is the hollow-ish buttstock.  I always wanted to pull that pad and fill it with some kind of foam.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:

I've sold several used ones with the 700 bottom metal for around $200 on GB.  These were LH stocks, which while having a smaller market, sell quickly.  

I just picked up an old, but like new, 700 VS LH in .22-250 for a beater/truck/tractor varmint gun.  I may have the HS stock modified for the Surgeon bottom metal when I have half a foot cut off the barrel and threading done.

Either the HS, Magpul, or even the Bell and Carlson are a huge improvement over the terrible plastic SPS stocks.  

I see B&C has some new stocks out that in profile look like the McMillan A3 adjustable.
View Quote
I googled Bell and Carlson Savage Stocks thinking they might have a less expensive upgrade option for a Model 10.  The have some products that look good with some nice looking features, price is not cheaper than alternatives though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

I googled Bell and Carlson Savage Stocks thinking they might have a less expensive upgrade option for a Model 10.  The have some products that look good with some nice looking features, price is not cheaper than alternatives though.
View Quote
Precision rifles and "cheap" don't get along too well.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#10]
There is a thread on the precision rifle forum.   Wait......where am I?     This thread has people fitting the magpul bottom parts and mags to the HS precision.  I did mine pretty quickly and it runs like gangbusters!  

Linkage
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Sell the HS and buy this....

https://redhawkrifles.com/products/mesa-precision-arms-rifle-stocks-free-shipping-orders-over-199-grayboe-stocks-grayboe-short
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lunchbox27:

https://redhawkrifles.com/products/mesa-precision-arms-rifle-stocks-free-shipping-orders-over-199-grayboe-stocks-grayboe-short
View Quote
This is the best advice.

HS stocks are ridiculously over priced for what they are (A little fiberglass filled with syrofoam).  Magpul is just another plastic stock.

I sold a new take-off from a 700P and I sat on it for a couple months and finally got $125 for it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lunchbox27:

View Quote
Problem is that's a short action and I have a long action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top