Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2017 12:11:17 AM EDT
Hoping I made a wise choice.

Savage 10FCP .308 with threaded barrel. My Remington didn't have a threaded barrel, and wasn't a fan of the Hogue stock. It was also subject to the trigger recall.

Paid $467 plus tax for the Savage, plus there is a $100 mail in rebate. The Savage has a pretty decent aluminum bedded stock, and the Accutrigger. It takes detachable mags and I'll be grabbing a couple of 10 round mags for it. I threw a Silencerco ASR flash hider on it to mount my Saker 762. A Harris Bipod and an old Super Sniper 10x made in Japan mounted in a Leupold PRW medium height rings on a Talley base round out my budget precision rig.

Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Wise choice
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Well done.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got a 10FCP-SR in 6.5 a few months ago, I think you'll be pleased.  I also topped mine with an SWFA, the HD 5-20 and this thing is a tack driver.  As far as adding magazines give Dark Eagle Customs a look.  A little spendy, but worth every penny if you want excellent function, as the Savage mags tend to have feeding problems, mine included.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FrankInDerby:
I just got a 10FCP-SR in 6.5 a few months ago, I think you'll be pleased.  I also topped mine with an SWFA, the HD 5-20 and this thing is a tack driver.  As far as adding magazines give Dark Eagle Customs a look.  A little spendy, but worth every penny if you want excellent function, as the Savage mags tend to have feeding problems, mine included.
View Quote
Shit those are expensive!
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifle OP.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think you will be disappointed. I had a sps tactical 308. I ditched the Hogue and put it in a B&C stock and the rifle still wasn't shooting how I wanted. I sold it and bought a savage 10T-SR in 6.5 creedmoor, vortex hs-t 6-24.

my best group with this setup using bipod and rear bag has been .45" the average is .6" absolutely awesome rifle. I may put on a different stock/chassis eventually but more for looks and ergonomics then anything. there is nothing wrong with the factory accustock in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I just got back from the range, I am more than pleased. I'm not a sniper, don't play one on TV, and have no desire to drop tons of money into a rig to shave a quarter inch off my group. I figure I have the following into this setup.

Gun $375 after rebate
Talley base $40
Leupold PRW rings $45
Super Sniper 10x scope $250
Used Harris bipod $25
ASR suppressor mount $60
Saker 762 can - wedding gift so $0

The first photo is of (2) four round groups. The one on the right was the first group, adjusted a little to the left and the second group was pretty much on for my purposes.

The next photo shows the POI shift at the same distance using my Saker 762 can.

With an idea of how it was shooting, low and right, I put a pin in the target top left corner as
a point of aim and started raining the shots in. This is the little 3x5 inchish diagrammin the top left corner of the Birchwood Casey silhouette target.

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:53:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpiritZeroThree] [#8]
Good buy OP, I picked up an FCP-SR in 6.5 this week and love it. If you dont feel like spending the coin on the dark eagle custom mags you can go the route i did - Get the Accurate-Mag AICS bottom metal, then enjoy the plethora of better/cheaper mags for your rifle (Accurate, AI, Magpul, etc...)

ETA - got a link for the rebate? I wasnt aware of anything available for this model
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SpiritZeroThree:
Good buy OP, I picked up an FCP-SR in 6.5 this week and love it. If you dont feel like spending the coin on the dark eagle custom mags you can go the route i did - Get the Accurate-Mag AICS bottom metal, then enjoy the plethora of better/cheaper mags for your rifle (Accurate, AI, Magpul, etc...)

ETA - got a link for the rebate? I wasnt aware of anything available for this model
View Quote
Rebate ended about a month ago.

Which bottom metal package would you recommend?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Rebate ended about a month ago.

Which bottom metal package would you recommend?
View Quote
This one is what i went with, drop in fit for accu-stock rifles.  I'll report back after it shows up tuesday how the fit is
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Where did you find it for $475?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Brandon21:
Where did you find it for $475?
View Quote
Actually, it was $467 and change. Dealer pricing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice new rifle, especially for the money!

I've got a 700SPS.  Not a fan of the trigger recall or the cheap flimsy stock.  Saving up for a new stock, currently.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats ok.. In a year.. Il Deuce will make you hand it in. Cant have you running around with one of those rapid firing baby killers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:28:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aggie_Gunner] [#15]
I have an almost identical setup.  Mine wears a SS HD 10x.  I've been very happy with mine.  It really likes Federal GMM 168s
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By cviss:
Thats ok.. In a year.. Il Deuce will make you hand it in. Cant have you running around with one of those rapid firing baby killers.
View Quote
I have a home in VT with Class 3 in my trust... My NYS gun is a straw and spitball.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad you're happy
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out CDI for bottom metal. He did my FN and last I knew had a pretty good reputation. Personally I might upgrade the stock to something a little nicer over inletting the factory piece.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I have two savage 308's a FCP-SR in a XLR Element chassis and a hog hunter in an Accustock that come from the factory with a DBM that accepts AICS mags. From my understanding they were on the earlier guns and if you keep your eyes peeled they pop up on eBay from time to time. Mine is actually a digital desert camo hydrodip that's factory.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#20]
If you factor in the price of new bottom metal, it makes the Dark Eagle mags more affordable.  I have a couple and they look and function perfectly.  I think you will be more than happy with them.  This coming from a non-sniper!
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Kirk-A3:
If you factor in the price of new bottom metal, it makes the Dark Eagle mags more affordable.  I have a couple and they look and function perfectly.  I think you will be more than happy with them.  This coming from a non-sniper!
View Quote
I have the push button magwell bolt release, so that might be my option.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:33:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpiritZeroThree] [#22]
Got my new bottom metal installed, rifle shoots great. Dropped right into the accustock, no inletting required. I already had a stack of AICS mags from other rifles, so spending $130 on the bottom metal vs $80 for a single magazine mafe more sense in my situation
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SpiritZeroThree:
Got my new bottom metal installed, rifle shoots great. Dropped right into the accustock, no inletting required. I already had a stack of AICS mags from other rifles, so spending $130 on the bottom metal vs $80 for a single magazine mafe more sense in my situation
View Quote
Does somebody make bottom metal for the trigger guard button bolt release?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Does somebody make bottom metal for the trigger guard button bolt release?
View Quote
I'm a dumbass, missed the part where you said yours was bottom bolt release. No idea who makes bottom release compatible metal, but I know a few guys have converted their rifles to top release
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#25]
thats alot of rifle for the money . Im pretty happy with my fcp-sr in 308.
By the way nice shooting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Keep an eye on Palmetto State's daily deals, they've been running deals on FGMM 168 & 175gr ammo....should shoot well out of your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Keep an eye on Palmetto State's daily deals, they've been running deals on FGMM 168 & 175gr ammo....should shoot well out of your rifle.
View Quote
I've been using the Federal, see groups above.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Buddy of mine has same rifle and scope.     I've seen him shoot 5" groups at 900 yards, first round hits at 1100 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top