Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2017 9:43:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: privateer1967]
New to the precision rifle game.  Brought home a new Savage 12  LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Can't wait to get some glass on her and try her out. New to Prec rifles so any tips appreciated.

Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:12:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: alpha0815] [#1]
Awesome rifle and probably the most accurate rifle Savage makes in the 6.5 Creed. I came very close to purchasing one myself, but went another route. It should be a shooter, just may take some time to get the barrel broken in.

For additional mags or high capacity, make sure to check out Dark Eagle customs. If you ever get around to doing a barrel replacement, Northland Shooters Supply has everything you need. Barrels, nuts, recoil lugs.

Good luck and let us know how she shoots.

Edit:  Don't skimp on glass!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Oooh that looks nice.  We'll need pics with glass on it.  How much did it set you back?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna throw a swfa ss 12x42  on it, best I can do at the moment....need rings and mount....picked it new for around $ 970 and tax
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Tack driver right out of the box. good choice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Awesome rifle and probably the most accurate rifle Savage makes in the 6.5 Creed. I came very close to purchasing one myself, but went another route. It should be a shooter, just may take some time to get the barrel broken in.

For additional mags or high capacity, make sure to check out Dark Eagle customs. If you ever get around to doing a barrel replacement, Northland Shooters Supply has everything you need. Barrels, nuts, recoil lugs.

Good luck and let us know how she shoots.

Edit:  Don't skimp on glass!
View Quote
Ouch, those mags aren't cheap... almost worth it to look at other options.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats OP. I have the same rifle. Buy some Prime 130 grain ammo or Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain ELDX. That rifle loves both.
I was hitting 600 yard steel consistently third time out.
Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RKaz1:
Congrats OP. I have the same rifle. Buy some Prime 130 grain ammo or Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain ELDX. That rifle loves both.
Enjoy it.
View Quote
Curious what your optic mount set up is like...I'm trying to figure out what height rings I need.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Rob01:

With a .20 MOA base and that scope you can use .825-885" height rings. What you looking to spend on base and rings?

Also try the Hornady 140 and 147 ELD-M loads for target loads. The 143 ELD-X is a good hunting load but if not hunting then no need for the extra cost.
View Quote
Had not decided on a base yet but I'm looking at Seekins rings. I don't hunt ,I'll be shooting steel and paper.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:

Ouch, those mags aren't cheap... almost worth it to look at other options.
View Quote
They are the best though and not sure there are many other reliable options. It's one of the few downsides of the LRP. In talking with the guys on SavageShooters, Darkeagle seems to be the consensus.

They also make a nice extended mag release.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:56:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By privateer1967:

Had not decided on a base yet but I'm looking at Seekins rings. I don't hunt ,I'll be shooting steel and paper.
View Quote
for your SA, the seekins base will not work on the LRP, unless you have a mill and can mill off the recoil lug.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By assaultdog0351:

for your SA, the seekins base will not work on the LRP, unless you have a mill and can mill off the recoil lug.
View Quote
Thanks for that info.... What do you guys Think of the EGW mount?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
not sure, I have a mill
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Curious what your optic mount set up is like...I'm trying to figure out what height rings I need.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RKaz1:
Enjoy it.
I got a .20MOA rail from the Farrell website that fits the Savage 12. The rings are Nightforce which my gunshop put on. Not certain of their height since the shop picked them out. But I have the big Sightron SIII
50 power scope with 60 objective. So they probably needed to be high rings.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Enjoy.
I had to use a cheek riser on mine to get any kind of cheek weld. I used a NF 20 moa base and rings tall enough to just clear the front bell of the scope. The Darkeagle mags are very nice. The factory compatible 10 round magazine has worked just as well for half the price. Clean it thoroughly before shooting it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:19:26 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
Just got a pair of these in from DarkEagle for my Model 10 FCP in 6.5, It felt a little spendy but now that I have them in hand..... worth it.  You won't find a better 10 round mag for a Savage, also picked one of their mag pouches for PRS matches and it is very high quality.  You won't be disappointed if you go this route.

Frank
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:59:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I got Seekins rings and a Night Force Base. It's just mocked up here, I hope to get it mounted properly and get it zeroed this weekend.

Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw this thread late, but next time look into DNZ Game reaper mounts

Your Savage will be an excellent shooter
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Good choice with the Seekins and NF setup.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
This is what I want. I'm not happy with my Remington 700 5R in 308. Have been looking at Savage for a while now.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
First range trip today... zeroed at 100 yards very easy. Was hitting 6 inch steel plate at 600 yards roughly 50%  of the time. Best group at 600 was around 6 inches so real close to 1moa with Hornady 140 gr eld match. I know the rifle will do better, but I need some more skill to get it there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Exciting!
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Et2ss] [#25]
Awesome rifle and probably the most accurate rifle Savage makes in the 6.5 Creed.
View Quote
Is this better than the BA 10 Stealth?

Not being a smart ass, but thinking of picking up a precision bolt gun.

What's the difference between a model 12 and the Mod 10?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:

Is this better than the BA 10 Stealth?

Not being a smart ass, but thinking of picking up a precision bolt gun.

What's the difference between a model 12 and the Mod 10?
View Quote
I am far from an expert but I'll throw this much out..I doubt one or the other is "better"...just different...As I see it ,the stealth is more tactical than the lrp and the lrp is more of a target gun. The stealth is lighter out of the box according to Savage, and has a 2in shorter barrel. The stealth is probably a better gun if you plan to lug around the field. I don't think you could go wrong either way, just depends on what you like.  Again...I'm no expert, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Also, I think the stealth has a small shank barrel, the LRP has a large shank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top