Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2017 5:11:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brunske15]
I was tinkering with my latest build when it slipped from my grip and fell to the floor. I was able to grab the stock end of the rifle so only the barrel end hit the carpet. Made quite a thud though..  Should I be concerned about anything. Action screws are fine, stock is fine, and barrel does not appear to have any dings or curves. Did cycle the bolt and everything seems fine. Anyone have experience with this.

edit: might add it fell about 5-6 feet.

Howa 1500 6.5CM 24 in barrel heavy contour, B&C stock.

also is it possible the glass bedding shattered? idk if that is possible?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: w33b8t1] [#1]
Not one bit.  If you knocked the scope good I would sight it in or shoot it to see, but a bolt action rifle should be able to take a shit ton of abuse.  You should see my hunting rifle.

Some cheap scopes get affected by reverse recoil, but this isn't the case with your drop.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:17:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Choot it and find out.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:17:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brunske15] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By w33b8t1:
Not one bit.  If you knocked the scope good I would sight it in or shoot it to see, but a bolt action rifle should be able to take a shit ton of abuse.  You should see my hunting rifle.
View Quote
yeah but you know how it is with brand new freshly done things. Don't want anything to happen to them till it does then it doesn't matter anymore. Like to keep it nice as possible for as long as I can.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Choot it and find out.
View Quote
planned on it, just wanted to see what some others thought. luckily rifle hasn't been zeroed with new scope yet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
No scope, no worries.

You need to go watch some slow motion shots of rifles going off.  That shit is violent even on bolt guns.  Your rifle is fine, I have seen customers drop them while hunting, even from tree stands and after a good once over and checking for barrel obstructions, a quick check and all have functioned fine, in fact only one in my memory was off when shot at the range.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Brunske15:
also is it possible the glass bedding shattered? idk if that is possible?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I wouldn't sweat it. They are made of steel. Glass is different.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for it being fine unless there's obvious physical damage. A short drop is not going to build up enough momentum to do anything unless it hit just right and there will be external signs such as broken glass, dinged muzzle, damaged bolt handle... Otherwise? You could use one as a battering ram without much of a problem in most cases.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I was tinkering with my latest build when it slipped from my grip and fell to the floor. I was able to grab the stock end of the rifle so only the barrel end hit the carpet. <snip>

edit: might add it fell about 5-6 feet.
View Quote

You have 5-feet long arms?!?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

You have 5-feet long arms?!?
View Quote
hahaha no no I was standing when it fell ....had it about chest level
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ICU:

View Quote
yeah...that was sort of a dimwit question to ask haha... wasn't sure if I could word it better...I suppose damage the bedding would be a better way...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Remyrw:
+1 for it being fine unless there's obvious physical damage. A short drop is not going to build up enough momentum to do anything unless it hit just right and there will be external signs such as broken glass, dinged muzzle, damaged bolt handle... Otherwise? You could use one as a battering ram without much of a problem in most cases.
View Quote
of all the things I checked I did not look there...... probably the most obvious place I should of looked....   hmm will check that...
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:41:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ErikS:
No scope, no worries.

You need to go watch some slow motion shots of rifles going off.  That shit is violent even on bolt guns.  Your rifle is fine, I have seen customers drop them while hunting, even from tree stands and after a good once over and checking for barrel obstructions, a quick check and all have functioned fine, in fact only one in my memory was off when shot at the range.
View Quote
scope was on the rifle... haven't zeroed it yet.. seemed fine.. I doubt the recoil impulse of it hitting barrel end first would be greater than firing the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Prolly bint the barrel. Better get a new gun.

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Toddrick:
Prolly bint the barrel. Better get a new gun.

View Quote
yeah I'll have to use that on the lady sometime see how it goes hahaha
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#17]
If that damaged something, it's a piece of shit anyway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OldArmy:
If that damaged something, it's a piece of shit anyway.
View Quote
never can be too careful is a firearm afterall
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Choot it and find out.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Was it the crown that hit the floor or a muzzle device?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1911xdm:
View Quote
crown... don't have any muzzle devices
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah the crown would be my only concern but you said carpet. Not impossible still, but that's reassuring. I'm sure you'll be fine. Next time wipe the butter off your hands before handling firearms!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:
Yeah the crown would be my only concern but you said carpet. Not impossible still, but that's reassuring. I'm sure you'll be fine. Next time wipe the butter off your hands before handling firearms!
View Quote
yeah i couldn't believe it slipped. Does weigh 13-14 pounds
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
this is always one of my fears when building an upper. Even test firing them before putting the muzzle device on. Post a pic of the crown
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:03:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brunske15] [#25]
this is always one of my fears when building an upper. Even test firing them before putting the muzzle device on. Post a pic of the crown
View Quote
I'll try and snap a quick pic of it when I get home in the morning. Graveyard shift worker here
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]
It must be a 6.5 thing my 6.5x47 fell out of the vise last month. I put it in there to run some patches down the bore and when I turned the butt dropped and it flipped and landed on the top turret. The rifle weighs about 16 pounds and the scope is Leupold MK4 .
I shot it the next day and everything worked great.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Easy_E:
It must be a 6.5 thing my 6.5x47 fell out of the vise last month. I put it in there to run some patches down the bore and when I turned the butt dropped and it flipped and landed on the top turret. The rifle weighs about 16 pounds and the scope is Leupold MK4 .
I shot it the next day and everything worked great.
View Quote
Must be a 6.5 thing haha. Glad it was ok!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top